Spyderco Parata

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thunderpants

Re: Spyderco Parata

Post by Thunderpants »

88 grams?!
That's kind of incredible. I imagined this would be some kind of 200 gram monster.
I'd love to get one of these!
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 am

I was watching a video of this knife and I noticed that the choil area of the blade seems to close "around" the lock and pin area when the blade goes into the handle.
David,

Great question! And to quote your naming of the Sliverax as the "Flick and holdy, cut and foldy," I think the Parata will have a similar fidget factor! I'm anticipating it to be the "Flick and holdy, cut and foldy Volume 2.0." Much anticipated!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm
I dunno, it reminds me of my X wife's big toe.
Lol I misread it at first as reminds me of my Xwife too big. :D He he he.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

I think this just screams for an easy regrind....

parata.jpg
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

neuronic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 am

parata.jpg
Looks great to me!

Hamilton
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 am
I was watching a video of this knife and I noticed that the choil area of the blade seems to close "around" the lock and pin area when the blade goes into the handle. Is that a necessary design to get around the lock? In other words should we expect there to be some sort of work around in that area on other future models that have this lock or is there a way that it could have had a full edge without that choil and it not hit the lock and stop pin? I suppose if the handle in that area were wider and the blade angle were less negative..?
You are correct D, for the Parata, the large blade choil does encircle the stop lock mechanism. I have a design or two that manages to implement the stop lock without the choil, but I haven’t prepared any of those for submission. It gets tricky, and definitely widens the handles of the knife. To really implement the concept properly in a more conventional design, I’m guessing some rework would be needed. (Sorry to those pining for the stop lock Millie, AFAIK the Parata hasn’t really done anything to make that more of a reality).

neuronic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 am
F935F061-9880-44FC-8568-875AA619A785.jpeg
And to those already dreaming up potential mods... I can’t wait to see your embellishments/modifications to my design. Both the flat blade spine and wharnie photoshop jobs that have been shared would be awesome to see on actual pieces.

I think the final tweaks to this one are in the works out in Japan, hopefully we’ll all hear more information about the impending release soon.

- Paul
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

paulwa wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:35 pm

I think the final tweaks to this one are in the works out in Japan, hopefully we’ll all hear more information about the impending release soon.

- Paul
YES!!!! Looking forward to it Paul. Thanks for the update!

Hamilton
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

So I am guessing it will be for sale in about a month if all goes well. Planning on getting one of these.