[HELP NEEDED] Advice on Customizing Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jonathanmlewin

[HELP NEEDED] Advice on Customizing Para 3

Post by jonathanmlewin »

Dream Para 3 (Photoshop)

I am looking at further customizing my Spyderco Para 3 and need some advice. (I currently have S30V satin blade, Flytanium titanium scales, LNW Para 3 clip, and blue anodized screws and lanyard tube https://imgur.com/a/mhvu1KU) I am fairly new to the customization scene so I am not entirely sure what I can do on my own, or should purchase from someone else (who really knows what they are doing). The Para 3 I currently own was purchased from a member of r/Knife_Swap who purchased it from bladeswelove. I have access to a tumbler/motor vibrator which I could maybe use to stonewash the blade? I don't have the media/ferric chloride so that would cost me ~$30-40 to purchase. Would it be worth spending that much if this is a one time use, or would a service be cheaper? I photoshopped some images for a better idea of how I want the knife to look. https://imgur.com/a/mwQS6DY

I am looking to do these customizations to my Para 3:
- OD green micarta scales (I am a fan of these https://g10.lt/?p=6475, with this I am mostly curious as to other options for custom scales, something like this, but with lanyard hole. I personally like the flag accent)
- Acid stonewash blade, Lynch NW style deep carry clip, and I am not even sure if its really possible/recommended, but acid stonewashing the liners? (Any recommendations for people who would do this? Also people that have a LNW clip with the special dark finish, would you say its similar to an acid stonewash?) Pretty good example of what i'm looking at doing: https://imgur.com/a/ELqw5iE
- Bronze anodized hardware (2x pivot screw, 2x scale screws, 3x clip screws, lanyard tube, back spacer, and stop pin) Do people sell these in sets, or does someone offer a service where I could get my existing hardware anodized bronze?
- Recommendations for lanyard color and bead (acid stonewash finish) Also, does a regular LNW Spyderco clip interfere so much with the tube that the Para 3 version is necessary to use a lanyard? I personally prefer the symmetry of the regular clip over the Para 3 version.

Also if you guys have any other suggestions to help me make this knife more uniquely my own feel free to suggest. I apologize for the magnitude of this post, but if you can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! I am new to this forum so if this is not where this post should go or it doesn't belong on here please let me know.
sal

Re: [HELP NEEDED] Advice on Customizing Para 3

Post by sal »

Hi Jonathanmlewin,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

/ I know very little about customizing, so I just can say: Your photoshopped knife looks very nice and I also like Micarta-scales (one of my Enduras has those and I can't wait for a Micarta-Shaman).

But I wanted to bump your thread to the top of the page again, in case some people did not notice it. Hope for you, that at least one or two will be able to give you some advice...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Nice project Jonathan.

I would not add more like wise men ring (karambit), space rings, shoulder rings, ...
That would be too much.

Lanyard: i would try a blue white red (USA) scheme and a bronze bead (gun cartridge,...)

Please keep us updated.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The main thing a para 3 needs is a longer blade.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

So.... pm2.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I like the look in the photo. I don’t think the Lynch clip finish looks like stone/acid wash but you could stonewash it fairly easily. Good luck with your project and post some pics as it progresses!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am confused, are you swapping these mods out on the knife you have that is already customized or a new P3? If it's the Ti scaled version, why not sell it and start fresh? You don't really give any indication of skill level, so it's hard to know what to recommend trying on your own. Ferric chloride is pretty easy to do yourself assuming you are comfortable with full disassembly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
foofie

Post by foofie »

Agree with araneae - need a bit more info about your experience and comfort level. Some people have hada hard time disassembling a para3 for the first time (especially the lanyard tube).

Regarding stone wash - very easy process. The tumbler will help, but make sure to get coarse media. My tumbler usually puts down a uniform finish - if you want the deep scratches in the image above, you may need put the blade in a plastic container with the media and shake it by hand. Also, process the clip and the blade together, so whatever finish you end up with will match. Just remember that the blade is steel while the clip is titanium, so acid wash and stone wish will affect them a bit differently.

Regarding scales - Suingab (g10.It) does a wonderful job. I have three sets of his scales for the para3. Leaving the lanyard hole intact is more common - but everything is customizable.

The anodized hardware is pretty easy to come by. I am not positive on this - but I would be cautious about the stop pin. If you get it anodized, that means it is either titanium (softer than hardened steel) or aluminum (way softer). Not sure these are appropriate materials. Notice that your current knife keeps the stop pin, but swaps out the other hardware.
jonathanmlewin

Post by jonathanmlewin »

I worked in a knife shop and was their lead sharpener. I have decent experience doing minor blade regrinds and tons of sharpening. I have shaped a couple handles but never have done the process myself. I disassemble my knives very frequently and service other's as well. I am interested in doing the scales myself, but do not have any of the proper tools to do so. I have stonewashed something using an old friend's tumbler before, but basically don't own anything to do so. I contacted Lynch and he said that the special dark finish is similar to an acid stonewash. This would be basically taking this knife and completely modding everything besides the current titanium scales. I contacted suingab and he offered to do them for $90, which I see as a fairly reasonable price. The main thing I am concerned with is the stop pin, as a random silver dot would mess with the bronze hardware style i am going for. I am considering asking suingab to not drill the hole all the way through the micarta and grind down the stop pin ends myself, though I am not sure how much this would affect the lockup. I am not looking for this to be a hard use folder, just a regular edc. I am unskilled in anodization but would definitely want to try it.
jonathanmlewin

Post by jonathanmlewin »

Also thanks for the welcome everybody!
jonathanmlewin

Post by jonathanmlewin »

I am also interested in acid stonewashing the liners, would you recommend this? Also if not doing the stonewash would the acid affect the performance at all? I will cover the washer surface contact and the detend and lockface, but is anything else necessary?