G10 UKPK officially makes a return! Heinnie Haynes Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Re: G10 UKPK officially makes a return! Heinnie Haynes Exclusive

Post by demoncase »

Nate wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:03 pm
Ugh, I know we're a bit spoiled by stateside prices compared to Europe and expected a premium on this even before taxes and shipping, but there's definitely a point where I would be priced out. We'll see I guess.
Fingers AND toes crossed- you and me both :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Donut

Post by Donut »

demoncase wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 pm
Seems to be a lot of frustrated people on the UK Spyderco Facebook page regarding this exclusive and HH. Apparently many people started boycotting HH due to their apparent price gouging. I hope HH prices this appropriately or this isn’t going to work. :o
I'm one of those folks.

2 Years ago there was a sudden not-explainable-by-known-factors spike in the list prices of Spyderco at HH-
That does happen with imports sometimes, and the first assumption was it would be the new stock hit by this.

Then folks spotted that several otherwise long discontinued knives that HH had in stock throughout this restocking magically had an extra £100 added to the price overnight, people got miffed
{Example- The Centofante Memory went from £200 to £300 overnight.It was out of stock on the mothership website for ages before this}
When questioned by several people, the only response from HH's social media team was simply "#Brexit" :rolleyes:
One hashtag to the whole of their loyal customer base- which is (if I'm being VERY generous) is both flippant and disingenuous.

Up until that point I'd spent ££££ with HH annually.
That dropped to zero overnight.
I am not alone in this.

Now- back to this sprint and today:
I LOVE the UKPK- it's just utterly peerless.
I LOVE this sprint.
It needs to be priced sensibly for me to break a personal rule and spend with HH again.
I could be wrong, but isn't that about the time that the Minimum Advertised Pricing rules changed?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Nate wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:03 pm
Ugh, I know we're a bit spoiled by stateside prices compared to Europe and expected a premium on this even before taxes and shipping, but there's definitely a point where I would be priced out. We'll see I guess.
I keep thinking that it couldn’t cost more than a para 3 sprint, but maybe more like the wolfspyder.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Definitely interested. I hope the price is right...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Donut wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 pm
demoncase wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Seems to be a lot of frustrated people on the UK Spyderco Facebook page regarding this exclusive and HH. Apparently many people started boycotting HH due to their apparent price gouging. I hope HH prices this appropriately or this isn’t going to work. :o
I'm one of those folks.

2 Years ago there was a sudden not-explainable-by-known-factors spike in the list prices of Spyderco at HH-
That does happen with imports sometimes, and the first assumption was it would be the new stock hit by this.

Then folks spotted that several otherwise long discontinued knives that HH had in stock throughout this restocking magically had an extra £100 added to the price overnight, people got miffed
{Example- The Centofante Memory went from £200 to £300 overnight.It was out of stock on the mothership website for ages before this}
When questioned by several people, the only response from HH's social media team was simply "#Brexit" :rolleyes:
One hashtag to the whole of their loyal customer base- which is (if I'm being VERY generous) is both flippant and disingenuous.

I am not alone in this.

I LOVE this sprint.
It needs to be priced sensibly for me to break a personal rule and spend with HH again.
I could be wrong, but isn't that about the time that the Minimum Advertised Pricing rules changed?
European retailers need a MAXIMUM advertised price limit!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A LOT of retailers need a maximum allowable price restriction. Here, I often see Spyderco going for three times the US full retail price, and they buy them at wholesale.

I like this UKPK. It might tempt me to try one. I have always loved the design, but did not like the spring. I love the Urban LW. If the UKPK had been more like a traditional folder in tension, I would have bought several. However, the ones I tried (a few years ago, now) at the shop were weak and mushy. I have heard that this has changed, but no one here has them in stock for me to try.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Can't wait. One of the best knives ever produced by Spyderco. Love the UKPK.

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 am
I like how they put their logo on the tang instead of huge and across the side of the blade. Very tasteful.

Couldn't agree more. A++
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 am
I must applaud Heinnie Haynes not only for listening to the requests of their UK customers, but also for the courage to make such an investment. As an exclusive, they "own" the design as long as they keep making them. They will keep making them as long as you keep purchasing them.

I would also like to applaud the Golden Knife-Makers for the execution of this model. It's a beautiful piece. I'm carrying one today. I'll be cutting sushi with it tonight. :)

Sorry for not giving more information. I'll leave that to Heinnie Haynes.

sal

Awesome. Thanks Sal!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you guys in Europe buy from Lamnia?

I only ask this because I've actually bought knives from them (including currency conversion and shipping back to the USA) and had them come out _cheaper_ than USA based retailers.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Donut wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 pm
demoncase wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I'm one of those folks.

I am not alone in this.

I LOVE this sprint.
That was part of what I described as "known factors".
As the UK market never has seen the types of discounts you enjoy in the US, MAP made no difference.

Indeed, for a long while I could accurately predict the price in the UK by replacing the $ at the front of the MSRP with a £.

It is what is: or rather, it was.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 pm

I only ask this because I've actually bought knives from them (including currency conversion and shipping back to the USA) and had them come out _cheaper_ than USA based retailers.
I bought my super blue stretch from lamnia, very good company.

As you are in the US and outside the EU, you are exempt from sales tax. In Finland where Lamnia are based that would be 24%.

For those of you in North America looking to buy this knife, I suggest ordering by email. Make sure to tell them you are in the US and ask them to deduct the 20% UK VAT. You should only be paying for the knife + shipping.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 pm

I bought my super blue stretch from lamnia, very good company.

As you are in the US and outside the EU, you are exempt from sales tax. In Finland where Lamnia are based that would be 24%.

For those of you in North America looking to buy this knife, I suggest ordering by email. Make sure to tell them you are in the US and ask them to deduct the 20% UK VAT. You should only be paying for the knife + shipping.

That’s a really good tip.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

ANY new Caly or UKPK immediately has my attention! :D This knife exudes good karma, I’m betting all will be good. Have faith. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Are these pinned or screwed construction?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Are these pinned or screwed construction?

Screwed.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Excellent.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

They are screwed, but are the pivots D shaped? I have one Urban that simply refuses to be taken apart because of a free spinning pivot, but to be honest I haven't had much luck in that department when it comes to Spyderco knives made in Italy.

My hope is, since this one comes from Golden, that maybe the screws will be a bit more cooperative compared to the Maniago ones.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Assuming the construction is the same, I'd venture to guess that it would be a lot harder to strip out g-10 than frn. Fwiw, I've disassembled many frn Urbans and UKPKs and never stripped anything.
:spyder:
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I agree with demoncase, Heinnie's prices exploded a couple of years ago so I stopped buying from them...

This looks nice but if it's gonna cost 200£ I don't think I'll be interested...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve been quoted £79.95 by HH on my pre-order, which compares favourably with the £67.95 for the BD1N/FRN version, methinks.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:33 am
I’ve been quoted £79.95 by HH on my pre-order, which compares favourably with the £67.95 for the BD1N/FRN version, methinks.

Just came here to say the same thing. That’s $105 USD (approx). Very nice price indeed!

@liquid_cobra