Am i just lucky with my super steels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BigKenbo

Am i just lucky with my super steels?

Post by BigKenbo »

Hi all. I do NOT consider myself any kind of sharpening expert! Anyway, i picked up a few super steel Spydies, S110V, Maxamet, ZDP-189, even Hap40. I watched some videos from Mr Christy, Big Brown Bear (Bearfacedkiller here i think) and even some rants on how bad they are to sharpen. I made sure to pick up a sharp maker and appropriate diamond and cubic boron nitride stones, and such, but aside from time investment ( and the money for the supplies lol!) They have not given me much trouble in sharpening any of them. Have the heat treats evolved since the introduction to make these awesome steels more workable? Am i just lucky? I have not encountered any chippiness nor any issues at all really. Dumb luck or have they manufacturing processes evolved? Thanks in advance!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
wes

Re: Am i just lucky with my super steels?

Post by wes »

People make too big a deal out of sharpening difficulty. In reality, if you have good diamond stones/plates and strops...it’s very easy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think "sharpening" is as much an issue as reprofiling. Sharpmaker can put an edge on practically anything but repairing edge damage and coming back from a very dull edge takes more time. If I can reprofile Maxamet on a Sharpmaker then anyone can.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am also by no means a sharpening expert, but I think especially with the additional stones you got it's really no problem for the sm to keep even very hard steels sharp.
If you let them get really dull, maybe that's a different story.

Out of the steels you mentioned, I only have experience (but a lot) with HAP 40, the brown and white stones are absolutely capable of keeping that steel sharp. You write: "EVEN HAP40". Out of the steels you mentionend it will be the easiest to sharpen I am sure.

May I ask: Do you see any advantage in owning both the diamond and the cubic boron nitrit rods?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mekstor

Post by mekstor »

I don't put a lot of stock in "carbide tear-out" for the average sharpener/user, however diamond will cut faster on the "supersteel". I do like the ceramic rods!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not BBB, he is deadboxhero on here.

Sharpening is a funny thing. Having the correct tools is helpful but having a solid understanding of what sharpening is and what you are trying to achieve is paramount. The sharpmaker is a capable tool and it sounds like you know what you are doing. That is all it takes.

Chippyness is hard to guage. We all use our knives to cut different things and we all use different technique. Lateral force on the edge is an easy way to chip it. I don't have chipping issues with these steels either.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joey

Post by Joey »

I have worked a little bit with M390/204P, XHP, H1, and a lot with VG10 and Vtoku-2. I can see why people might say one steel is harder to sharpen than another, but I’ve always felt the way you do on the subject. I’ve seen way too many people complain about sharpening these steels, or just say they’re downright impossible (one YouTuber I noticed completely “gave up” on Maxamet) and I find that a bit ridiculous.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:24 am
I am also by no means a sharpening expert, but I think especially with the additional stones you got it's really no problem for the sm to keep even very hard steels sharp.
If you let them get really dull, maybe that's a different story.

Out of the steels you mentioned, I only have experience (but a lot) with HAP 40, the brown and white stones are absolutely capable of keeping that steel sharp. You write: "EVEN HAP40". Out of the steels you mentionend it will be the easiest to sharpen I am sure.

May I ask: Do you see any advantage in owning both the diamond and the cubic boron nitrit rods?
Apologies, i was trying to say i got diamond stones which is what i use for reprofiling. The sharpmaker is what i use for "touch ups". The "even" before Hap40 was just that i considered it a little more obscure rather than more challenging.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 am

Sharpening is a funny thing. Having the correct tools is helpful but having a solid understanding of what sharpening is and what you are trying to achieve is paramount. The sharpmaker is a capable tool and it sounds like you know what you are doing. That is all it takes.

Chippyness is hard to guage. We all use our knives to cut different things and we all use different technique. Lateral force on the edge is an easy way to chip it. I don't have chipping issues with these steels either.
I am sorry, lots of names, and i got it wrong. Be aware i have read a lot of your posts too lol!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Joey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am
I have worked a little bit with M390/204P, XHP, H1, and a lot with VG10 and Vtoku-2. I can see why people might say one steel is harder to sharpen than another, but I’ve always felt the way you do on the subject. I’ve seen way too many people complain about sharpening these steels, or just say they’re downright impossible (one YouTuber I noticed completely “gave up” on Maxamet) and I find that a bit ridiculous.
I saw both of that guys videos. Actually they were what prompted me to decide i was going to work it out. I am nothing if not stubborn! I refuse to be defeated for a lack of diligent effort!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

BigKenbo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 am

I am sorry, lots of names, and i got it wrong. Be aware i have read a lot of your posts too lol!
Sorry to divide my reply sir, i also wanted to say these knives i use extensively only for cutting. Vacuum hoses, boxes, bindings, etc. I have different blades for more strenuous duties at a campsight or even my trusty old Estwing belt hatchet when disarticulating deer, and hogs. I was a traditional knife guy before i took the Spyderco plunge, and those old school blades have been retired in favor of these pocket lasers. Be blessed
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies y'all. Genuinely appreciated.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The youtuber that gave up on Maxamet is a great sharpener. He just encountered something he hadn't seen before and those videos were his initial reaction to it. It seems to be mostly a matter of the wrong abrasives, and fatigued steel.

S110V is uniquely finicky compared to everything else I've tried. Once you're used to it, it's nothing. But very unforgiving of mistakes.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:57 am
The youtuber that gave up on Maxamet is a great sharpener. He just encountered something he hadn't seen before and those videos were his initial reaction to it. It seems to be mostly a matter of the wrong abrasives, and fatigued steel.

S110V is uniquely finicky compared to everything else I've tried. Once you're used to it, it's nothing. But very unforgiving of mistakes.
I agree that the S110V has probably been the most challenging to me. "Finicky" is probably the perfect word! Have they changed anything on the s110v or maxamet or am i just that freakin guy who stayed at it until i learned?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

BigKenbo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:57 am

I agree that the S110V has probably been the most challenging to me. "Finicky" is probably the perfect word! Have they changed anything on the s110v or maxamet or am i just that freakin guy who stayed at it until i learned?
Since the sharpmaker essentially gives you your angle for free, all you really need is some patience. Maintaining your angle and ending on extremely light alternating passes is crucial. And then you think, how sharp is it really? Does it shave without touching skin? Does it pushcut newspaper where you're holding it? How about an inch away from where you're holding it? 2 inches? 3?

I've been through it all with s110v and now I just keep it simple since other steels get sharper so much sooner/more easily. I usually do a 300-600 grit edge. I'm not above doing 200 occasionally either. After some brief stropping it's an excellent slicer. I have other knives that are more suited for fine edges.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

I never concern myself with hair whittling but if i cant cut free hanging hair i pull from my wifes hair brush, then i know it isnt correct. After everything i read here i stop the high carbide steels at 600. The ZDP and HAP40 i take all the way to 1 mic paddle strops and have accidently whittled a few with those. Thanks so much for the engagement
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

"Super Steel Scaremongering"

Tbh, I haven't really found any steels that I'd consider difficult to sharpen. I mainly stick with SiC, CBN, and diamond stones though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Most high wear resistant steels require more patience rather than more skill. Though the greater number of strokes required to touch them up does give you more chances to mess up!

I haven't found a steel that I couldn't put an edge on, but I do find certain steels quicker and easier to sharpen.

Another thing to consider is a lot of hard, high wear resistant steels are more prone to chipping. Sharpening out chips is tougher and eats up more blade steel than sharpening out a rolled edge.
:unicorn
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 pm
Most high wear resistant steels require more patience rather than more skill. Though the greater number of strokes required to touch them up does give you more chances to mess up!

I haven't found a steel that I couldn't put an edge on, but I do find certain steels quicker and easier to sharpen.

Another thing to consider is a lot of hard, high wear resistant steels are more prone to chipping. Sharpening out chips is tougher and eats up more blade steel than sharpening out a rolled edge.
No arguments here my friend. My HAP40 is easier and far less time consuming than the s110v , but they have none of them been the least discouraging to sharpen. Be blessed
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've heard good things about how HAP40 sharpens. It sounds like a fun steel for a small fixed blade.
:unicorn