More button compression locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

More button compression locks?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Smock has finally been released and people are loving the knife itself, the new take on the compression lock and the amazing action it provides. So does Spyderco have any plans to produce this lock on other designs? Or is it staying with Smock designs only?

Would you want to see this new spin on the compression lock on other knives? I sure would.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bill1170

Re: More button compression locks?

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m intrigued because I love the compression lock. I am concerned about this implementation because it looks too easy to accidentally disengage the lock while using the knife. I haven’t handled one, would love to be wrong in my trepidation.
strongdad

Post by strongdad »

The compression lock is my favorite by far but I can see the benifits of a button on a flipper like the amalgam. I hope to see this on future knives especially a cqi version of the amalgam.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Don't have one yet, but I'm also intrigued. Looks extremely lefty-friendly to operate, but I share Bill's concern about accidental closure.

In lefty use the button would be against my palm. At first I didn't understand why they reversed the lock and put the button on the opposite side, but I'd guess it was to keep the button out of the right-hand palm.
:spyder:
archangel

Post by archangel »

strongdad wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 am
The compression lock is my favorite by far but I can see the benifits of a button on a flipper like the amalgam. I hope to see this on future knives...

+1
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Would you want to see this new spin on the compression lock on other knives?

Yes, please. I think this is a step up in evolution.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Nate wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 am
Don't have one yet, but I'm also intrigued. Looks extremely lefty-friendly to operate, but I share Bill's concern about accidental closure.

In lefty use the button would be against my palm. At first I didn't understand why they reversed the lock and put the button on the opposite side, but I'd guess it was to keep the button out of the right-hand palm.
Lefty here, yes the button is on the other side so it is out of the way for righties but it’s no issue left handed either. I have both a Smock and an SK23 lefty from Kevin. Both are fine in either hand. Using them with the “wrong hand” the meat of your palm contacts the button but doesn’t press it. Differenent grips or twisting cuts are fine. On the Smock the only grip that can disengage the lock is a reverse grip as my pinky lands right on it. But the only time I ever hold a knife that way is when doing a pretend YouTube review in my head, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 pm
The Smock has finally been released and people are loving the knife itself, the new take on the compression lock and the amazing action it provides. So does Spyderco have any plans to produce this lock on other designs? Or is it staying with Smock designs only?

Would you want to see this new spin on the compression lock on other knives? I sure would.

I’d love for them to work with Kevin on a Smock2 before they put it on some other models but then yes I’d love to see Spyderco use the button compression lock either as cqi on models like the Amalgam, or other brand new knives.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is the lock bar itself designed "left handed"? Seems it would have to be if pressing the button from that side disengages the lock. As I've said before if it unlocks at all like the Plunge Lock then I'm all for it, and it seems like it's the same action minus the auto part.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Kevin Smock licensed the compression lock from Spyderco. Would Spyderco have to license the "button" from Smock? Otherwise I agree, it would be great to see the button lock again on a different model.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 am
Kevin Smock licensed the compression lock from Spyderco. Would Spyderco have to license the "button" from Smock? Otherwise I agree, it would be great to see the button lock again on a different model.
They would have to license it if Smock has a patent on using a button to disengage a compression lock.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

BigGrove wrote:
Kevin got the idea from Spyderco's original patent filling for the lock. It seems the Glessers tried this idea early on, but removed the button after testing.

I haven't had the Smock in-hand yet, but it makes sense where there's a flipper tab, so long as you don't need to cut out a giant chunk of the blade to make it work. Blades like the Tropen wound benefit from getting your finger out of the lock recess, but if you're willing to cut a 1/4" choil then you could make other concessions, too.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

The main reason the Smock intrigues me is that button compression lock. I hope that the early success of the Smock, as seen in the available stock selling out quickly, will encourage Sal and company to proliferate this mechanism among its future products.

I have one conventional button lock, a Rod Olson knife, and I love its action. The compression lock on my Sage 5 is great. I've tried the Smock in hand briefly and loved the lock. I can imagine that a button-disengaged compression lock has the potential to be the my favorite lock mechanism. Looking at my Sage, I don't think it would take much re-engineering to add a button to its compression lock without altering the blade substantially. How about a Sage 6 with a button compression lock?
Jim
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 am
Is the lock bar itself designed "left handed"? Seems it would have to be if pressing the button from that side disengages the lock. As I've said before if it unlocks at all like the Plunge Lock then I'm all for it, and it seems like it's the same action minus the auto part.
Yes, on my custom SK23 I had asked if he could make a lefty, partially because not knowing how the righty configuration would work as a lefty, and partially because if I’m going custom might as well have it as custom for me as possible. It’s nice to have a dedicated left hand tool once in a while. So on my SK23 it’s milled out on the opposite side and the lock bar comes across the “wrong” way.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

BigGrove wrote:
I’m pretty sure Spyderco can just go ahead and use it or something similar, but Spyderco seems to like giving credit where credits due, not copying designs and giving designers like Kevin a chance so in that spirit I’d love to see a Smock2 or something before a bunch of in house button compression Spydies.
I like the idea mentioned above of a Sage.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Strongdad,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 am
It is (almost)exactly the same as the Autonomy 1 and 2.

I think the button lock on the Smock is fantastic, minus the god awful choil thing.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Nate

Post by Nate »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 am

Lefty here, yes the button is on the other side so it is out of the way for righties but it’s no issue left handed either...
Thanks very much for the info!
:spyder:
foofie

Post by foofie »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I think the button lock on the Smock is fantastic, minus the god awful choil thing.
I think... (take the following with a grain of salt)
In order to accommodate the front flipper on the Smock, the stop pin had to be moved way back. It is also D-shaped - they cut the corner to allow clearance of the front flipper. This caused the button lock to be moved further back, which led to the odd choil.

In something like a para 3 - compression lock, non flipper, with choil - the addition of a button lock would be pretty straightforward. In fact, the lefty pm2 could be retrofitted pretty easily.

I really hope for more button compression locks. Needs a better name though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

foofie wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:31 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I think... (take the following with a grain of salt)
In order to accommodate the front flipper on the Smock, the stop pin had to be moved way back. It is also D-shaped - they cut the corner to allow clearance of the front flipper. This caused the button lock to be moved further back, which led to the odd choil.

In something like a para 3 - compression lock, non flipper, with choil - the addition of a button lock would be pretty straightforward. In fact, the lefty pm2 could be retrofitted pretty easily.

I really hope for more button compression locks. Needs a better name though.
I was talking specifically about the Smock, the Autonomy is a button compression lock and it does not have a wonky choil.

Also, I have heard numerous people call the Smock a front flipper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is a standard flipper. Maybe you could call it a top flipper, but a front flipper would be on the spydiehole side of the blade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson