The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Post by MacLaren »

If I get one, which I certainly will sometime soon. Mine will be a dedicated trout knife. I plan to do some fishing this year.
I usually get big ole Browns and Rainbows over 20". Cant wait to try it out.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:03 pm
I plan to do some fishing
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm
MacLaren wrote:
:D :D freakin outstanding mate :D :D
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
You sir, are a hoot :D :D :D
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 pm
Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
:D :D freakin outstanding mate :D :D
:D :D :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Have mine ordered and inbound! Very excited to try this out Lance, it’s definitely going to see some proper Pacific Northwest outdoor action this year. If anyone is looking for one of these, my favorite dealer New Graham Knives has them listed as in stock. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm
Just bought mine yesterday and can’t wait to get it in hand.

I’m wondering if you all think this would make a good tactical self-defense knife and or a good knife for the ladies and gentleman in the military?

Phenomenal job Lance!
Hi Blue, interesting question and one to which I have actually given a lot of thought. The Waterway was designed to be a knife that was specialized enough to perform all the tasks required while I am kayak fishing but universal enough to be a competent fixed blade for most general uses. Most of the "specialized" work is dealing with large fish in a small area so lets take a quick look at what it was created to be good at.

One of the key features of the waterway is its acute and pointy tip. The idea is that the knife can easily and effortlessly puncture the hard scales and skin of even the largest fish. Next the blade is set at a slightly negative angle to the handle to give added leverage in pull cuts such as cutting the gills of large tuna and mackerel. The handle is a very neutral shape that was designed to be held comfortably in just about any grip. The handle was also designed with a very aggressive texture and a prominent guard to protect the hand from the blade even in high force punctures in wet or bloody conditions. (Say stabbing a large fish in the brain with wet hands). It also uses a very tough steel that can more capably withstand that kind of use (within reason). On top of that, the entire package of knife and sheath was designed to be light and slim so that it could be easily and comfortably carried inside waistband.

None of those design features were implemented in the interest of designing a SD knife but for me personally, the correlation between all of these features and the features that I would want on a SD knife are very clear. I'm certainly no expert on martial arts or MBC but were I designing a self defense knife for myself, it would look a LOT like the Waterway. Maybe somebody should turn on the Michael Janich bat beacon. I'd love to hear his thoughts.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The handle on this knife is extremely grippy! My first impressions when I got mine were very positive.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Mine should be here some time today. This has been my single most anticipated knife in quite some time. With the amount of time I have been spending on the water fishing, this could not come at a better time.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Heeeeelloooooo YouTube!
https://youtu.be/dmWMcrgg084

Looks Great, can't wait. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:13 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm
Just bought mine yesterday and can’t wait to get it in hand.

I’m wondering if you all think this would make a good tactical self-defense knife and or a good knife for the ladies and gentleman in the military?

Phenomenal job Lance!
Hi Blue, interesting question and one to which I have actually given a lot of thought. The Waterway was designed to be a knife that was specialized enough to perform all the tasks required while I am kayak fishing but universal enough to be a competent fixed blade for most general uses. Most of the "specialized" work is dealing with large fish in a small area so lets take a quick look at what it was created to be good at.

One of the key features of the waterway is its acute and pointy tip. The idea is that the knife can easily and effortlessly puncture the hard scales and skin of even the largest fish. Next the blade is set at a slightly negative angle to the handle to give added leverage in pull cuts such as cutting the gills of large tuna and mackerel. The handle is a very neutral shape that was designed to be held comfortably in just about any grip. The handle was also designed with a very aggressive texture and a prominent guard to protect the hand from the blade even in high force punctures in wet or bloody conditions. (Say stabbing a large fish in the brain with wet hands). It also uses a very tough steel that can more capably withstand that kind of use (within reason). On top of that, the entire package of knife and sheath was designed to be light and slim so that it could be easily and comfortably carried inside waistband.

None of those design features were implemented in the interest of designing a SD knife but for me personally, the correlation between all of these features and the features that I would want on a SD knife are very clear. I'm certainly no expert on martial arts or MBC but were I designing a self defense knife for myself, it would look a LOT like the Waterway. Maybe somebody should turn on the Michael Janich bat beacon. I'd love to hear his thoughts.
Thanks Lance I appreciate your well thought response. I’m thinking it would be quite capable in a SD role. Can’t wait to receive mine in the mail!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Mine will be here tomorrow. Can't wait. Been waiting long time for this knife, and it will be seeing a lot of work.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Just received mine. I cant find a single thing I do not like about this knife. It is the reason I am ducking out early from work today to go hit the lake. Hopefully it will clean some crappie before the day is done.

Wonderfully well though out design Lance. I will post pics of some action shots if I get lucky.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Just got mine. Very nice, I especially like the grip, and Lance's mark is cool :cool: Will definitely be a user.

I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Looks very nice. I should have mine any day. I'll make a batoning video when it gets here :D
:unicorn
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Got mine today. Superb knife! Very ergonomic and definitely a defensive EDC carry
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Lance:

From the self-defense/tactical side of things, I think the Waterway has a lot to offer. The handle is very comfortable, offers a great grip, and is flat and broad enough to allow easy tactile edge orientation. That's important for ballistic cuts, as it allows you to align the plane of the blade with the plane of motion of your hand. The lower guard is also great insurance against your hand sliding forward on impact.

The edge geometry is excellent and the well-centered point "drops" the edge enough for aggressive cutting performance and instinctive indexing of the point during thrusts.

One of my favorite things about this knife is the fact that the handle was designed to work with the retention of the Boltaron sheath from the get-go. Many fixed blades have great designs, but are not optimized to be "sheath-friendly." The forward portion of the Waterway's handle is contoured to provide the "ramp-in/ramp-out" wedging that is necessary for proper function with a Boltaron sheath. The foldover sheath design is considerable narrower than sandwich-style sheaths, yet still offers a subtle spine rib if you like the thumb push-off style of draw.

Fighting fish or foe, this design has a lot to offer.

Stay safe,

Mike
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

This knife has been along time in the waiting.
And I have to say overall that I am really pleased on how this knife turned out.

My first knife in LC200N, and a big slab of it. Feels super comfortable in hand (both grips) and very agile. Full tang goodness, light as well, razor sharp out of the box, and a snug + easy release boltaron sheath. I put the knife under running water to see how the grip was on the machined g-10, and it locks into the hand. Also digging on the negative blade angle to the handle which will be really nice for power cuts. I know this knife can handle fish, but it's very universal in camp, utility, and self defense. Great job Lance and Spyderco. You have real winner here.

So when are we going to see the folder!?
Lol.
C
Attachments
20190315_075621~2.jpg
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Calicoast wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am
This knife has been along time in the waiting.
And I have to say overall that I am really pleased on how this knife turned out.

My first knife in LC200N, and a big slab of it. Feels super comfortable in hand (both grips) and very agile. Full tang goodness, light as well, razor sharp out of the box, and a snug + easy release boltaron sheath. I put the knife under running water to see how the grip was on the machined g-10, and it locks into the hand. Also digging on the negative blade angle to the handle which will be really nice for power cuts. I know this knife can handle fish, but it's very universal in camp, utility, and self defense. Great job Lance and Spyderco. You have real winner here.

So when are we going to see the folder!?
Lol.
C

How thin behind the edge is it ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Mine came thin behind the edge. It's a slicer no doubt.
Going to use the factory edge on this one as it came.
Stout knife, great feel in hand. The wait was worth it.
C