PD1 steel.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

PD1 steel.

Post by benben »

Anyone here have any experience with PD1? The Mule thread got me thinking about getting one, just curious about this steel.
standy99

Re: PD1 steel.

Post by standy99 »

Few tidbits of information on the steel in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=78142

Have enjoyed using it for a while.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Micro-Melt PD#1 is basically CPM CruWear made by a different factory.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Micromelt PD1 is basically CPM CruWear made by a different factory.
Yep. Some say Carpenters Powder process is cleaner with a better grain structure than Crucibles though I can tell no difference. Carpenter now owns Crucible I think. If there is a difference it would probably take a good lab to find it. I really like both offerings as well as Z wear, which is the same product made by Zapp. Heat treat formula & temps as well as the finish make more of a difference in performance / grain and carbide size and corrosion resistance on the final product than any slight difference in composition numbers.

Joe
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 pm
Micromelt PD1 is basically CPM CruWear made by a different factory.
Yep. Some say Carpenters Powder process is cleaner with a better grain structure than Crucibles though I can tell no difference. Carpenter now owns Crucible I think. If there is a difference it would probably take a good lab to find it. I really like both offerings as well as Z wear, which is the same product made by Zapp. Heat treat formula & temps as well as the finish make more of a difference in performance / grain and carbide size and corrosion resistance on the final product than any slight difference in composition numbers.

Joe
I got that piece of Spectrumwear from you Joe. Be interesting to compare it to Vascowear or non PM Cruwear but probably the same performance for all intents and purposes.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

Non PM cruwear seems to be a lot less tough, look at Larrin’s knifesteelnerds there is a graph of toughness that is used in many articles, for example “all about AEB-L” that shows regular cruwear and zwear, which is pm version. Zwear is at least twice as tough.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

benben wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm
Anyone here have any experience with PD1? The Mule thread got me thinking about getting one, just curious about this steel.
I have a few and I use one as a "mule/jig" to make handles for my other mules. Sounds odd huh? I have dropped it, clamped it (blade end) into a vise many many times. It's been abused and resharpened and it holds up shockingly well.

I'm learning how to make scales just for the hobby of it and an excuse to get more garage time while it's winter. It's kinda therapeutic :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ferider

Post by ferider »

Barmoley wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 am
Non PM cruwear seems to be a lot less tough, look at Larrin’s knifesteelnerds there is a graph of toughness that is used in many articles, for example “all about AEB-L” that shows regular cruwear and zwear, which is pm version. Zwear is at least twice as tough.
If I understand right the "Micro-Melt" process is equivalent to the CPM process. Toughness metrics are basically the same, and my Mule Team 27 certainly behaves that way. Still hoping that Spyderco uses MM PD#1 for a future Military, Manix XL or Police 4 (much better corrosion resistance than K390) :)
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

ferider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:56 am
Barmoley wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 am
If I understand right the "Micro-Melt" process is equivalent to the CPM process. Toughness metrics are basically the same, and my Mule Team 27 certainly behaves that way. Still hoping that Spyderco uses MM PD#1 for a future Military, Manix XL or Police 4 (much better corrosion resistance than K390) :)
I was specifically replying to the question of how Non PM cruwear would compare to PM version. All PM versions are most likely very similar even though some processes are said to be better, but the difference in performance in these cases is probably tiny. The difference in PM vs Non PM seems to be significant where toughness is concerned.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Barmoley wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 am
I was specifically replying to the question of how Non PM cruwear would compare to PM version. All PM versions are most likely very similar even though some processes are said to be better, but the difference in performance in these cases is probably tiny. The difference in PM vs Non PM seems to be significant where toughness is concerned.
Fully agree with you.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I got that piece of Spectrumwear from you Joe. Be interesting to compare it to Vascowear or non PM Cruwear but probably the same performance for all intents and purposes.
It should be. I used Vascowear knives for a long time before I ever tried the powder version. It's still pretty darn good IMO. The Spectrumwear was a good price but I never got the opportunity to do anything with it. Like many of the HSS's such as M2 it does pretty well without powder processing.

Joe
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Given the enthusiasm for cruwear, I wonder why the pd#1 mule was a slow seller?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

i honestly wonder if it sold slow just because people didn't/don't recognize it as CruWear by another name.

I'm one of the few people who don't put CruWear near the very top of their personal steel preferences, and I bought an extra PD1 mule to mess around with. For EDC I think I prefer the PMA11 for the edge holding.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:19 am
i honestly wonder if it sold slow just because people didn't/don't recognize it as CruWear by another name.

I think this is it. I bought one and then thought maybe to get another one, and was surprised they were still available!
Cruwear is in my top tier of preferred steels.