Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by bearfacedkiller »

So, I own both the Bushcraft and the Proficient. They are both wonderful knives and they have the best ergonomics I have ever felt. Truly amazing!

The Bushcraft is great and so is O1 but for me the thick Scandi grind is a little limited in its applications. It does bushcraft well but as a general purpose outdoor knife that can do bushcraft, hunting/fishing and camp chores including food prep it is a little thick for me. Honestly, if it was flat ground I wouldn't be making this thread.

The Proficient has a great FFG but i have a couple other issues with it. It is awefully pricey to be beating on, I get nervous batoning or prying with S90V and I question CF's durability compared to G10 or micarta. That makes it sound like I don't like it and that is not true, I love it as a camp knife but not as a bushcraft knife.

Let's make this a trilogy and make a knife that falls right in the middle of these two with materials that everyone wants. Basically flat ground with Cruwear and green canvas micarta. :D Either blade shape will work. I will buy two!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Calicoast

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by Calicoast »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm
So, I own both the Bushcraft and the Proficient. They are both wonderful knives and they have the best ergonomics I have ever felt. Truly amazing!

The Bushcraft is great and so is O1 but for me the thick Scandi grind is a little limited in its applications. It does bushcraft well but as a general purpose outdoor knife that can do bushcraft, hunting/fishing and camp chores including food prep it is a little thick for me. Honestly, if it was flat ground I wouldn't be making this thread.

The Proficient has a great FFG but i have a couple other issues with it. It is awefully pricey to be beating on, I get nervous batoning or prying with S90V and I question CF's durability compared to G10 or micarta. That makes it sound like I don't like it and that is not true, I love it as a camp knife but not as a bushcraft knife.

Let's make this a trilogy and make a knife that falls right in the middle of these two with materials that everyone wants. Basically flat ground with Cruwear and green canvas micarta. :D Either blade shape will work. I will buy two!
My Cruwear PM2 hasn't left my pocket since I purchased it. Such a well rounded steel. My vote would be Cruwear as well for the proficient and micarta. More Spyderco micarta would be nice to see.

I have been playing with my Scandi's lately.
Have a few 0.70 slicers.
Really liking A2 steel as well.
But given a choice, FFG Cruwear no doubt.
C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be all in for that!!! Easy to maintain and less corrosion prone than M4 (or O1).
foofie

Post by foofie »

I love my proficient - and share the same concerns.
Green canvas micarta with cruwear sounds great. I would even settle for 4v...
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I have to say that I don't think it's just the blade shape/grind that is different. I own 2 Bushcrafts (Burled Maple and G10 handles), and I also bought the Proficient but returned it because I didn't think the handle was as comfortable... I think the butt of the grip might be slightly different (and hence the ergonomics). I would advocate to use the Bushcraft handle molds as I think they're more comfortable. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

foofie wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm
I love my proficient - and share the same concerns.
Green canvas micarta with cruwear sounds great. I would even settle for 4v...
3V, 4V or Cruwear would all work for me. 3V and Cruwear are more stain resistant.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Are the Bushcraft and Proficient both Taichung?

Because if it was made in Maniago, Sleipner would be a really nice blade material for a sprint.

I would prefer 3v or Cruwear to 4v. I'm not sure that 4v would have the edge stability for batoning.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cruwear, FFG and green micarta would sell me on this model. I've held off on either version of it because I like FFG more than Scandi grinds, but S90V isn't a steel I'd want to use in a fixed blade.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

While we’re wishing, make it in Golden. Also, sell just the knife to keep the price down; I’d have Ryan Grizzle make me a sheath for it.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 pm
... but S90V isn't a steel I'd want to use in a fixed blade.
Why so Vivi?

My Sprig has seen plenty of use cutting through fish bones, most often using brute force and some lateral pressure without any significant edge damage and all I've managed to do was snap off about 0.010" of the ultra fine tip from slamming it into a hard cutting board while muscling through ... fish bone. :o

All said, I don't use it on Australian hardwood or similar nor do I baton it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been fairly happy with s90v in some fixed blades (like the Southfork). It's noticeably tougher than the s110v I have in some folders.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm
Vivi wrote:
Why so Vivi?

My Sprig has seen plenty of use cutting through fish bones, most often using brute force and some lateral pressure without any significant edge damage and all I've managed to do was snap off about 0.010" of the ultra fine tip from slamming it into a hard cutting board while muscling through ... fish bone. :o

All said, I don't use it on Australian hardwood or similar nor do I baton it. :)
Because with a fixed blade that size I would use it to baton and pry.

I also don't value wear resistance much at all in a camp knife, because wood and food are the things I cut most and neither are abrasive.

In a camp knife I want a steel that is tough and easy to sharpen. 1095, O1, A2, 1085, etc.

If they made a FFG O1 version I would have loved that. O1 is one of my top choices for a small camp knife. It takes an amazing edge.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm
Vivi wrote:
Why so Vivi?

Because with a fixed blade that size I would use it to baton and pry.

I also don't value wear resistance much at all in a camp knife, because wood and food are the things I cut most and neither are abrasive.

In a camp knife I want a steel that is tough and easy to sharpen. 1095, O1, A2, 1085, etc.

If they made a FFG O1 version I would have loved that. O1 is one of my top choices for a small camp knife. It takes an amazing edge.
Apologies, I misunderstood.

Agree on all accounts, though I don’t baton knives unless I absolutely have to.

My favourite camp/bushcraft knife is a Roselli Hunter with Krupp W75 blade that I can’t say enough good things about. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Vivi is dead on with this. 01 Euro / A2 US: both are tough steels, and take a great edge. Great for camp, bushcraft, etc. I usually will pack an axe for heavier work, but these steels will certainly hold up for kindling, prying, carving, and twisting cuts, especially in scandi grind with some weight behind the edge. Has Spyderco used any A2? I have been really putting this steel through work lately, and I like it. I will usually carry my (SET Apache / Sargent Edge Tools) A2 scandi on hikes, pm2 in the pocket for food prep, detail work. Good combo.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am going to bump this thread.
I think it's a great idea to make Proficient in like O1 steel and micarta. The price tag on current one is really high and this model could be popular if the price was lower.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am
I am going to bump this thread.
I think it's a great idea to make Proficient in like O1 steel and micarta. The price tag on current one is really high and this model could be popular if the price was lower.
Agreed. I'd buy one for sure. And based on other recent threads concerning spydie fixed blades, there would be a lot of other folks on the forum that would, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yes on Cruwear, micarta and flat grind!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

While they are at it, please make the scales removable like the Province. A must for any non stainless!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd rather have 3v than Cruwear, if hard use was the goal. I think I'm just about the least in love with CruWear of any of the people I see on line. With 3v and 4v as options, I just can't find a spot in my heart for it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am
While they are at it, please make the scales removable like the Province. A must for any non stainless!
oooo agreed
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!