Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A Tanto LW PM2 could be pretty dang great, but that would take more tooling investment.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 am
A Tanto LW PM2 could be pretty dang great, but that would take more tooling investment.
You are right. But I believe it would be a big seller. Without mentioning names or stepping on the toes of other makers, I believe it would draw people who tend to purchase tanto blades from other makers. Spyderco would get that extra business and profit.
SpyderEdgeForever

spyderwolf wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:21 am
I will be a HUGE seller,but not for me.I don't like tanto blades.
What are your reasons for this?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 am
spyderwolf wrote:
I could say they are hard to sharpen,or that they are of little use in EDC tasks,but the truth is i just dont like them,just like i dont like caramel.No resons needed :D
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:

I don't have much use for a blade with the tip as high as a tanto. I've tried them in the past and they just don't do it for me. A blade shape change alone wouldn't sell me on this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:

I don't have much use for a blade with the tip as high as a tanto. I've tried them in the past and they just don't do it for me. A blade shape change alone wouldn't sell me on this knife.
I have to agree, I bought a tanto a couple years ago because I thought it looked pretty cool...which it does, not taking away from the design in terms of looks. But for daily use, it was awkward for me. Made me crank my wrist in an unnatural way to use the tip to cut with, plus sharpening was a bit more difficult as well. I think for people that use their knives, this one won't be a huge seller. Collectors, absolutely will appeal to them and sell.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The Tanto blade looks great!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

tanto's are a great shape for stabby type applications
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

My guess is that the spine and tip of the PM2 tanto would be in the same position as the standard PM2 blade, so the point of a PM2 tanto blade would probably be as easy to access as a regular PM2 blade. The main difference would probably be the belly (or lack thereof) of the PM2 tanto blade. The PM2 tanto may also have a narrower spine (in the section of the spine near the Spyderhole) than the standard PM2 due to the swedge. The upcoming lightweight FRN Para3 is a "test drive" of a compression lock with a lightweight FRN handle and Eric Glesser suggests around 7 minutes into Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) that there may be other lightweight FRN compression lock folders in the works. The PM2 tanto may be a good candidate for the lightweight FRN & wire clip treatment, since the blade may be heavier (since it contains more metal) than that of a standard PM2.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have to disagree with you guys. A tanto makes ZERO sense in a lightweight folder, I mean the blade thickness alone shows that. It would be way out of balance.

I maintain that the Lum Tanto Folder with a compression lock is the path to take. The blade of a tanto is a hard use item, they are incredibly stout. Too much so for most edc applications.

The only way I could see a lightweight tanto working is in a thinner blade stock with ffg, but that kinda goes against what a tanto is.

Also, I don't know about a choil on a tanto.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I'm wondering how viable a tanto would be on a para 3.
I can't help but think the blade length would encourage more use of the tip. Tanto tips are almost always fantastic for tasks like scraping
SpyderEdgeForever

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:38 am
I have to disagree with you guys. A tanto makes ZERO sense in a lightweight folder, I mean the blade thickness alone shows that. It would be way out of balance.

I maintain that the Lum Tanto Folder with a compression lock is the path to take. The blade of a tanto is a hard use item, they are incredibly stout. Too much so for most edc applications.

The only way I could see a lightweight tanto working is in a thinner blade stock with ffg, but that kinda goes against what a tanto is.

Also, I don't know about a choil on a tanto.
From what I can see, your idea is good, and there is room for both styles.
SpyderEdgeForever

Marulaghost wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am
I can't help but think the blade length would encourage more use of the tip. Tanto tips are almost always fantastic for tasks like scraping
Yes it would be very strong and very durable and good for that and all sorts of things. A combo or full serrated edge version would be good too.

The bigger mystery for me is what steel will they use? Do you think it will be something like S30V or VG10 or another?
SpyderEdgeForever

ComboEdge wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:42 am
My guess is that the spine and tip of the PM2 tanto would be in the same position as the standard PM2 blade, so the point of a PM2 tanto blade would probably be as easy to access as a regular PM2 blade. The main difference would probably be the belly (or lack thereof) of the PM2 tanto blade. The PM2 tanto may also have a narrower spine (in the section of the spine near the Spyderhole) than the standard PM2 due to the swedge. The upcoming lightweight FRN Para3 is a "test drive" of a compression lock with a lightweight FRN handle and Eric Glesser suggests around 7 minutes into Blade HQ's "NEW Spyderco Knives | SHOT Show 2019" YouTube video (_9jYzYE2JOU) that there may be other lightweight FRN compression lock folders in the works. The PM2 tanto may be a good candidate for the lightweight FRN & wire clip treatment, since the blade may be heavier (since it contains more metal) than that of a standard PM2.
Excellent ideas and insights into this!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm
Marulaghost wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am
Yes it would be very strong and very durable and good for that and all sorts of things. A combo or full serrated edge version would be good too.

The bigger mystery for me is what steel will they use? Do you think it will be something like S30V or VG10 or another?
As far as steels go, i believe vg10 is only on the Japanese models.
Sho that would leave s30v, if it weren't for the fact that bd1n is coming around the corner
ComboEdge

Post by ComboEdge »

I agree that VG-10 will probably only be used if the PM2 Tanto is made in Japan. I recall reading that VG-10 cannot be used by any manufacturer outside of Japan. If the PM2 Tanto remains part of the US-made Spyderco lineup, then I highly doubt it would use VG-10. There is a precedent for Japanese versions of US-made Spydercos, however. An example is the Spyderco Native (presumably named after its origin in the United States), which had its Native 2 and Native 3 iterations manufactured in Japan. It would be ironic if an American tanto blade shape, based upon a Japanese blade shape, were manufactured in Japan. I would be in favor of a US-made PM2 tanto, however, since it would almost certainly mean that a higher-performing steel than VG-10 would be used. I wonder if the heavier blade of the PM2 Tanto will make it easier/quicker to swing open and close due to its increased mass. Most owners of the PM2 Tanto would also already own a standard PM2, so it will be interesting to see the future YouTube videos comparing the two PM2 types. If the PM2 Tanto has a quicker deployment and a more solid lockup (since it will swing open and closed with greater momentum without usage of the Spyderhole) than a standard PM2, some may eventually prefer it over a PM2. Also, the PM2 Tanto may address concerns about the large handle-to-blade ratio of the standard PM2 by utilizing more of the empty space in the handle when closed.
Mthiggins111

Post by Mthiggins111 »

Tanto blade would be my dream EDC lol
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’m just throwing my name in as well to say that if Spyderco did release a tanto PM2 I’d certainly buy one! One caveat though is it would need to not be an exclusive, they should be available to all! In regards to steel I would be fine with it remaining S30V, that’s a great steel. If they released it in Cruwear I wouldn’t complain though.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Oh yeah, that swedge is gorgeous by the way.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
SpyderEdgeForever

Ez556 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:38 am
Oh yeah, that swedge is gorgeous by the way.
Yes I agree 100 percent!