First Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knifenerdmom

First Spyderco

Post by knifenerdmom »

After tons of research and saving his money for many months, JS_KnifeNerd just bought his first Spyderco knife (the Chaparral) at SFO from Candi. He is thrilled! Feel free to reach out to him and congratulate him!
TazKristi

Re: First Spyderco

Post by TazKristi »

Nice choice! Congrats JS_KnifeNerd!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Great first knife. It carries well, looks good and cuts extremely well. I absolutely love mine.

Congrats JS!

BTW, we LOVE pictures. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great choice!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Which chaparral? They are all great and he should be pleased.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Great choice JS! One of these days I should get one. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I just have to say, this whole thing is so cute lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

That was my first spyderco too
Great choice.
I'll always say though, get a thin lubricant and drip into both sides of the pivot, the backlock pivot, and where the blade and lock interact.
The spring tension is strong to begin with, so it may come out of the box as a thumb killer.
Happy slicing and enjoy what a great knife it is
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Perfect for EDC. Great choice, I have the lw and Cf versions. CTS-XHP is a great steel too. Enjoy.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knifenerdmom wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:48 pm
After tons of research and saving his money for many months, JS_KnifeNerd just bought his first Spyderco knife (the Chaparral) at SFO from Candi. He is thrilled! Feel free to reach out to him and congratulate him!
Hi Jeremy and knifenerdmom, that's good news and a great choice! :)

I guess, it's the Chap lw, right? (But doesn't matter, the other versions are as good, just different handle materials and more expensive)

I have to say, the Chap is one of my absolut favorite folders, and that says something cause generally I like bigger knives.

Jeremy, you are starting your "knife journey" with a brillantly designed knife and a perfect steel: Holds an edge really well, but still is not too hard to sharpen. Congrats!

I hope you'll do a post 'bout your new Spydie soon.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 am
Great choice JS! One of these days I should get one. ;)
You should, definitely! ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
knifenerdmom

Post by knifenerdmom »

Thank you, everyone! JS_KnifeNerd will be writing a post with more details on the weekend (homework comes first during the week)!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

knifenerdmom wrote:
Hi knifenerdmom!

I check in on the forum pretty regularly.. I've seen some of your/your son's posts and I'd just like to say how refreshing it is to see a parent parenting. Not every mother would go out of her way, as you have, to facilitate her son's interests in knives and I think that is awesome. And I especially appreciate that once your son settled on a knife, it was purchased with his own money! Too few parents these days are willing to delay a child's gratification.. a valuable lesson indeed. Also, as safe a corner of the internet as this forum is, I really like that you are putting in the effort to monitor your son's interactions as you have.. too many kids seem to do as they please on the internet without supervision these days and that is a scary thing..

Also.. I'm wondering if JS_KnifeNerd is involved with, or has any interest in Scouting? It's one of the few places I can think of where it's still socially acceptable (I hope!) for young boys to get together and play with knives.. you know, in a safe manner.. And along with knives, learn a variety of other interesting skills. I'm an Eagle Scout and consider the skills I learned from Scouting very valuable in my life. I'd recommend it to anybody, especially a boy who is interested in knives..

Anyways, for what it's worth coming from some random guy on the internet, great job knifenerdmom! Keep up the good work!

BTW, the Chap is a solid choice!

Rick
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 am
knifenerdmom wrote:
Hi knifenerdmom!

I check in on the forum pretty regularly.. I've seen some of your/your son's posts and I'd just like to say how refreshing it is to see a parent parenting. Not every mother would go out of her way, as you have, to facilitate her son's interests in knives and I think that is awesome. And I especially appreciate that once your son settled on a knife, it was purchased with his own money! Too few parents these days are willing to delay a child's gratification.. a valuable lesson indeed. Also, as safe a corner of the internet as this forum is, I really like that you are putting in the effort to monitor your son's interactions as you have.. too many kids seem to do as they please on the internet without supervision these days and that is a scary thing..
^ What Rick said! Good on you knifenerdmom!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 am
knifenerdmom wrote:
Hi knifenerdmom!

Also.. I'm wondering if JS_KnifeNerd is involved with, or has any interest in Scouting? It's one of the few places I can think of where it's still socially acceptable (I hope!) for young boys to get together and play with knives.. you know, in a safe manner.. And along with knives, learn a variety of other interesting skills. I'm an Eagle Scout and consider the skills I learned from Scouting very valuable in my life. I'd recommend it to anybody, especially a boy who is interested in knives..

Anyways, for what it's worth coming from some random guy on the internet, great job knifenerdmom! Keep up the good work!

BTW, the Chap is a solid choice!

Rick
Rick, that´s exactly how I feel about it, but you found better words for it than I could. So I just want to second: "Great job knifenerdmom"!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^ Hear hear!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Congrats! That first Spyderco starts a slippery slope! All other knives seem inferior soon after! :D

I hope one day I can share the hobby with my son, and teach him how to save and work hard for what he wants. Great job!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Way to go mom! Congratulations Jeremy!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
knifenerdmom

Post by knifenerdmom »

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! I'm just happy he is passionate about something :)
He loves teaching his classmates who say knives are just murder weapons that knives are very useful tools.
JS_KnifeNerd goes to a school where they are allowed to study whatever they want in-depth and the teachers develop a curriculum around that topic. He just spent 5 months studying Filipino Martial Arts & Weapons (attached is a karambit-inspired knife he made out of a wrench). He will be studying blade steels for the rest of the school year.

I am very grateful for this wonderful community. JS_KnifeNerd wears his Spyderco t-shirt when he wants to feel the most confident, and he has Spyderco stickers on the thermos he takes to school everyday! Sal has very generously offered to meet with Jeremy and me and take us on a factory tour Friday. We are very excited and will be sure to report back.

-Fran
Attachments
Karambit-inspired knife Jeremy made.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knifenerdmom wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm
Thank you for the kind words, everyone! I'm just happy he is passionate about something :)
He loves teaching his classmates who say knives are just murder weapons that knives are very useful tools.
JS_KnifeNerd goes to a school where they are allowed to study whatever they want in-depth and the teachers develop a curriculum around that topic. He just spent 5 months studying Filipino Martial Arts & Weapons (attached is a karambit-inspired knife he made out of a wrench). He will be studying blade steels for the rest of the school year.

I am very grateful for this wonderful community. JS_KnifeNerd wears his Spyderco t-shirt when he wants to feel the most confident, and he has Spyderco stickers on the thermos he takes to school everyday! Sal has very generously offered to meet with Jeremy and me and take us on a factory tour Friday. We are very excited and will be sure to report back.

-Fran
Wish I could have attended a school like that, when I was. well, almost 40 years younger... ;)

And I am looking forward to Mr. JS_KnifeNerd joining discussions ´bout bladesteels! Actually a field I don´t know too much about compared to many here on this forum.

The Spyderco-T-Shirt trick is one I´ve got to try for myself (as soon as I own one), more confidence is always a good thing! :)