More on new Spyderco Light Weights: Let's discuss!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

More on new Spyderco Light Weights: Let's discuss!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am so glad and so pleased and so happy that Spyderco is going forth with their plans to produce more Light Weight FRN handled models.

What are some you really want?

For me its:

Sage Light Weight
Caly 3.5 Light Weight

Now, while there is a Tanto PM in the works, there is no mention of the following, but, I would want them if Spyderco decides to make them:

Tanto Military or Paramilitary Light Weight.
Wharncliffe Pacific Salt, whether it uses H1 or Lc200N.
Stretch Light Weight in LC200N.
Imagine a Tatanka Light Weight?

A question: Based on your uses of the Caly 3.5 and Sage models in the past, what would be the main cutting differences between the Sage Light Weight and Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

I have never used or owned either model and I really am pleased that they will be releasing both models in Light Weight.
Last edited by SpyderEdgeForever on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: More on new Spyderco Light Weights: Let's discuss!

Oh yeah, I am also glad Spyderco made the Chaparral Light Weight.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I think the best options for LW would be the lil native, pm2, shaman(!) And kapara
SpyderEdgeForever

Marulaghost wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:45 pm
I think the best options for LW would be the lil native, pm2, shaman(!) And kapara
A Shaman Light Weight would be excellent!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A Shaman lightweight should definitely feature a thinner blade than the current model (in which the 3.7 bladestock is perfect, don't get me wrong).
Combined with the height of the blade, a thinner one would make for an awsome slicing geometry..

Mili lightweight: I am not sure how much lighter a Mili can be made actually. Sure you could shave some weight of by using FRN instead of G10, but the liners are already quite reduced anyway

Caly 3.5 lw: That's a knife I am really waiting for...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Keep in mind some locks may not play well with thinner blades. I'm not sure how thin you can go with a compression lock. Some locks need some lock face to travel across.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:02 pm
Keep in mind some locks may not play well with thinner blades. I'm not sure how thin you can go with a compression lock. Some locks need some lock face to travel across.
I know, and actually it was you who pointed that out for me in a quite recent thread, since I never thought of it myself.. thanx for that again!

And it's true that almost all comp. lock knives (or better: The models I know) have a 3.7 bladestock. But not so the Kapara, it has just 3mm (and a comp lock), so maybe a Shaman lw in 3mm would be possible?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Ikuchi is 2.5mm according to Spyderco.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Double post..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:02 pm
I know, and actually it was you who pointed that out for me in a quite recent thread, since I never thought of it myself.. thanx for that again!

And it's true that almost all comp. lock knives (or better: The models I know) have a 3.7 bladestock. But not so the Kapara, it has just 3mm (and a comp lock), so maybe a Shaman lw in 3mm would be possible?

I would actually be ok with a back lock Sliverax even if it wasn't a flipper. Cut off the flipper, give it 2-2.5mm stock and a Chaparral style back lock with the internal stop pin and I'm all in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If they make the Chaparral LW in K390 I will definitely pick one up. It's a nice steel, would be cool to try it in a smaller package with a lock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I don't think a lightweight version of the Shaman makes sense. The whole point of the knife is to be big, heavy duty, and beefy. Making a plastic lightweight version would be so opposite of the model's intentions.
vivi

Post by vivi »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 pm
I don't think a lightweight version of the Shaman makes sense. The whole point of the knife is to be big, heavy duty, and beefy. Making a plastic lightweight version would be so opposite of the model's intentions.
That's exactly what happened with the Manix series.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Lightweights are great, I'm glad we'll have more comp locks at even more affordable price points.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I would love to see a Military LW with an ambidextrous friendly clip and some LW friendly lock, preferably a backlock. While I'm dreaming, it'd be great if it came in a cruwear upgrade in the same way the police is going to come in an upgraded steel.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If the Caly 3.5 LW happens I hope it has the same texture as the UKPK
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

How about a full-sized Caly lightweight? 3.5 would be cool too.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

BornIn1500 wrote:
I am 100 percent with this. The appeal of the Shaman is that it is a big burly knife. The thick blade steel is part of the deal. Don't go dumbing down this fine knife giving it ultralight handles and thin blade steel. I don't just lose interest, I get grumpy.

It is like dressing up a sumo wrestler in pink tights and a tutu. Where is Bloke when you need him?
Tims

Post by Tims »

Lightweight everything. Good for the consumer and good for business
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
BornIn1500 wrote:
I am 100 percent with this. The appeal of the Shaman is that it is a big burly knife. The thick blade steel is part of the deal. Don't go dumbing down this fine knife giving it ultralight handles and thin blade steel. I don't just lose interest, I get grumpy.

It is like dressing up a sumo wrestler in pink tights and a tutu. Where is Bloke when you need him?
BornIn1500 wrote:
Guys, you are right. What I meant when picking up the idea of a lightweight Shaman was more like: Just IF a lightweight Shaman was to be made (and the question is if a Shaman lw makes sense at all generally), it should go "all the way" and feature a thinner blade too.

But, again, you are right that one of the defining features of the existing Shaman is its heavy duty appearance, and the solid, stout feel in hands. In fact, that´s exactly what I like in this knife, and what makes it for me personally the most wanted knife of all I do not have already, despite me practically having no need for such a thick blade...

So, lets put it this way: I still think the ergos and the overall shape of blade and handle of the Shaman would also work great in a medium duty knife. But that should not be directly a Shaman lightweight, but rather a new model, just based on the Shaman.
Sure it could be discussed, if a FRN lw version of the Shaman wouldn´t be basically a Manix lw featuring a comp. lock, and rightfully so. But for me personally, especially if you could recreate the rounded handle of the Shaman in FRN, the differences would be noticeable enough that I´d prefer a Shaman lw over a Manix lw (especially that it packs more edge in virtually the same closed length, and that the "guard" of the Shaman handle is still NOT touching the surface when you.re putting the edge on a cutting board).