So I had an Amalgam and an extra Pivot ....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

So I had an Amalgam and an extra Pivot ....

Post by ferider »

I don't mind flippers. And I like almost everything about the Amalgam, size, blade shape, peeled CF. But: I couldn't get my fingers out of the way of the flipper when using the compression lock. So:

Broke a drill when going through the lock side of the scales. Other than that not a difficult mod. And, the blade is about half a mm distant from the new pin, in case you wonder.

Another perfect knife now :)

Cheers,

Roland.
The Meat man

Re: So I had an Amalgam and an extra Pivot ....

Post by The Meat man »

It's always satisfying to make a great knife just a little bit better. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I don't understand... what am I seeing here? Did you just make this a push-button flipper like the Smock?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:15 pm
I don't understand... what am I seeing here? Did you just make this a push-button flipper like the Smock?
Yes. Ill try to make a video when the loktite has cured.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Looks great! I went with getting rid of the flipper tab.
D7830EC2-9305-410E-8132-DCF500BBDDE6.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ferider

Post by ferider »

Here is a video. Forgive the poor quality, I like taking photos better ...

foofie

Post by foofie »

I think this is genius!
Why did you drill through the far side scale? Does that hole allow the back side of the pivot to clear the scale so you can fully unlock the compression leaf?
ferider

Post by ferider »

foofie wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm
I think this is genius!
Why did you drill through the far side scale? Does that hole allow the back side of the pivot to clear the scale so you can fully unlock the compression leaf?

Yes. Makes room for the Pivot screw that I used to attach the Pivot. I was debating about counter-sinking another screw into the lock instead. But I'm happy I didn't. The lock is very hard (like I noted above - it cost me a nice drill bit), and the lock is thin, trying to do a good job with the countersink wouldn't have been fun ....
foofie

Post by foofie »

The placement of that button is at a bit of a mechanical disadvantage - being so far back. Yet the video makes it look pretty easy to disengage the compression lock. Really nice job. I am looking over all my compression locks now to see if a similar mod might work...
ferider

Post by ferider »

foofie wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:57 pm
The placement of that button is at a bit of a mechanical disadvantage - being so far back. Yet the video makes it look pretty easy to disengage the compression lock. Really nice job. I am looking over all my compression locks now to see if a similar mod might work...
Thanks ! Overall I think it's good that the button is so far back, seems like it makes the button less prone to accidental disengagement.
attila

Post by attila »

This is an awesome and well executed idea!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Very interesting. So when you hold your knife in a tight saber grip, does your palm not accidentally depress the new button?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 am
Very interesting. So when you hold your knife in a tight saber grip, does your palm not accidentally depress the new button?
Doesn't seem to. The button sits in the main fold of my palm underneath the knuckle of the index finger:

You can also see in the pics that the flipper offers additional protection against accidental closure.

Of course, everybody's hands are different and time/usage will tell better ...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice. I’d like to see this as a cqi update to other compression lock knives, with a countersink in the scale and flush button.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:04 am
Nice. I’d like to see this as a cqi update to other compression lock knives, with a countersink in the scale and flush button.
Me too. Think left-handed PM2 in, say CPM CruWear :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ferider wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:04 am
Me too. Think PM2 :)
I was thinking para3, but pm2 works too!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Fantastic mod! I’ve considered trying something along those lines with a PM2 but I don’t have a good drill press and don’t trust doing it freehand.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
strongdad

Post by strongdad »

After spending a few weeks with the smock I think this is the perfect solution for the amalgam. I hope all compression lock flippers have the button release on them from now on.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I was thinking/dreaming all night about a factory released para3 with button lock. I think every compression lock with a choil (and no flipper) could easily accomodate a button in place of the cut-out on the far scale to allow access to the compression lock. Every flipper could accept one as well - just would have to move the button placement to clear the flipper tab.

But - as I look at the over-engineering on my new Smock (not in a bad way) - stop pin, internal stop pin, detent, secondary detent - I have doubts that a button/compression lock para3 will be coming...
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Nice job ferider! Always nice to see people making knives their own. I love the idea of button actuated compression locks but I'm not 100% sold on using one yet. If one were to be implemented on an Amalgam I'd prefer reversing the lock setup to put the button on the "show" scale (assuming a right handed setup) like the Smock, with a lower profile button and a recess in the show scale to further reduce the chance of accidentally actuating the lock in use.