How do you put a Stretch 2 back together?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anagarika

Re: How do you put a Stretch 2 back together?

Post by anagarika »

I’ve had it apart and back multiple times. As easy as Endura. :confused:

Is it back now or you just don’t want to bother?
Just in case: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... -Spyderco/
Chris :spyder:
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:11 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:03 pm
I took a Dragonfly apart. Never mind “nevermind” : never again!
I've got the trick to get those back together too if you ever need it ;)
Not sure if your trick works for the Stretch too, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it back together after a scale swap. I tried for about an hour last night and couldn't get it so I decided to regroup and try again this morning. I've been going for about an hour now after doing some research on this forum and blade forums. I found some youtube videos tht show to assemble the knife without the lock bar, push the lock bar in and the lock bar pushes in 1-2 mm above where it should. I've tried folding a tiny piece of paper into the lock bar cutout on the blade to push it down, and this got it much closer, but the lock bar is still a tiny bit too high. If I fold the paper further it causes the blade to push forward when I press the lock bar into it, messing the whole thing up.

Any advise?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

blendergasket wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Not sure if your trick works for the Stretch too, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it back together after a scale swap. I tried for about an hour last night and couldn't get it so I decided to regroup and try again this morning. I've been going for about an hour now after doing some research on this forum and blade forums. I found some youtube videos tht show to assemble the knife without the lock bar, push the lock bar in and the lock bar pushes in 1-2 mm above where it should. I've tried folding a tiny piece of paper into the lock bar cutout on the blade to push it down, and this got it much closer, but the lock bar is still a tiny bit too high. If I fold the paper further it causes the blade to push forward when I press the lock bar into it, messing the whole thing up.

Any advise?

I really just press the lock bar in as far as I can get it and then slip the pivot in from the back side. You can put a zip tie around the handle to hold the lock bar in to free up a hand so you can fiddle with getting the pivot lined up. Leave all the scale screws a little loose so there's some flex and wiggle room, then once it's all together you can go about torquing everything down.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:44 pm
blendergasket wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Any advise?
I really just press the lock bar in as far as I can get it and then slip the pivot in from the back side. You can put a zip tie around the handle to hold the lock bar in to free up a hand so you can fiddle with getting the pivot lined up. Leave all the scale screws a little loose so there's some flex and wiggle room, then once it's all together you can go about torquing everything down.
Gonna try the zip tie method. Thank you. Was definitely wishing for an extra hand while doing this.