Who else is packing some LC200n? Whaddya think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Who else is packing some LC200n? Whaddya think?

Post by Enactive »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:24 am
I have been thinking or doing some reprofiling especially on the chef it is great for food the way it is ground but could be better if reprofiled.

As for my Caribbean and the Native just been brown stoning them and it only takes 2 or 3 passes per side.
Thanks, DWASC!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I use the green stropblock from KnivesPlus. Two light passes on each side and it's back to hair whittling with its mirror-polished edge. ;)

Just like you, I fell in love with LC200N from owning a SpydieChef. I now own the Carribean PE and after seeing this thread, the Waterway. I'll buy darn near every model that is produced in this steel.
Last edited by Zatx on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I really, really like LC200N, have it in the SpydieChef and PE Caribbean leaf, and will have it in Lance’s WaterWay.

Do I want it in all Spyderco models? Not for a moment.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

My favorite EDC steel! My Chef knocked wvery other knofe out of my pocket..!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

How is the SE performance and toughness compared to H1?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Waterway is such an awesome knife, at an awesome price point. I can't wait to see some more action shots!

I will definitely be getting one in the future, but right now I'm holding out for the Ikuchi.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

ZMW wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Better in all regards. At this point, H1 can go bye-bye. ;)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:13 pm
ZMW wrote:

Have you compared both side by side so you can state such a clear verdict?
There's a picture of a H1 blade bent 90 degrees without breaking...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:18 pm
Zatx wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:13 pm
ZMW wrote:

Have you compared both side by side so you can state such a clear verdict?
There's a picture of a H1 blade bent 90 degrees without breaking...
We don't yet know if LC is as tough as H1, but it IS tough!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Maybe we can get Lance to weigh in on toughness (and other attributes)? He seems to be maybe the most demanding user of LC over the past few years. Sal?

Can you tag someone up on here, or some such thing?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the TUSK model being one of the very first Spyders they ever used LC200N blade steel and it being designed as a knife designed for boating, fishing and marine uses it's just so confusing to me as to why they have never yet offered it in Spyderedge :confused: ?? It would be high on my list to buy if I could get one in Spyderedge and I've heard others echo those sentiments here on this forum and other knife forums as well.

The two people I've got to talk with that have used LC200N in SE have given me a "thumbs up" for it being a great blade steel for Spyderedged blades. With Spyderco's Hawkbills mainly being target marketed to the marine/fishing industries I would also think you would want to put the TUSK model in that same group. And 95% of all of Spyderco's Hawkbills have been serrated. So why not the TUSK :confused: ?
prsman

Post by prsman »

Diggin the LC200n
9451B345-A8D1-4095-8AD4-4B5DCA4167F2.jpeg
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only LC200N knife I own is my PE Caribbean leaf blade. It's also my only Taichung-made Spyderco. I'm extremely happy with it. It's probably my favorite Spyderco knife. I love the design and I love the steel. I rarely buy knives anymore, so I don't know if or when I will be buying another knife, Spyderco or otherwise. I have more than enough knives right now, anyway.

I would probably go for a 3" bladed version of the Caribbean leaf, but when I asked about the possibility on BF, Sal told me they have no plans for one.

Jim
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I have a Caribbean leaf PE and Native Salt PE. I’ve used the Native most but mostly for food prep. I’m super impressed with the Native’s ergonomics. I think the Caribbean leaf PE is my favorite Spyderco though. I primarily carry a 3.5”-4” blade for SD and it’s perfect for that just been gentle with it so I really haven’t done more than cut rags up and tape. I haven’t had to sharpen either yet.

I plan on getting a Waterway the second I can and really put the steel through its paces.

Black and yellow zome Endura with LC200N please.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:55 pm
The only LC200N knife I own is my PE Caribbean leaf blade. It's also my only Taichung-made Spyderco. I'm extremely happy with it. It's probably my favorite Spyderco knife. I love the design and I love the steel. I rarely buy knives anymore, so I don't know if or when I will be buying another knife, Spyderco or otherwise. I have more than enough knives right now, anyway.

I would probably go for a 3" bladed version of the Caribbean leaf, but when I asked about the possibility on BF, Sal told me they have no plans for one.

Jim
Jim, how does LC200N behave, say compared to VG-10? The PE leaf blade Caribbean is the only folder on my radar right now. I really need to sell some queens and get a Caribbean.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have tested both the native salt and the Caribbean Salt both in SE.

The Spydie edge is different on each blade. So is the grind which effects slicing also.

The pacifis Salt has more agreesive teeth and dulled swifter cutting down boxes when it was brand new I was shocked how fast it dulled.

I never wxperienced this with LC200N

The Pacific Salt H1 Steel is a very strange Steel it did work harden like some kind of odd myth and after a few sharpening holds the edge much better.

H1 is a slicker smoother Steel where LC200N is more grainy but lends to a very aggressive bite.

To me there is a place for both steels I just ordered a Native 5 Salt SE as companion to my Native Salt PE.

I prefer Serrated blade on smaller knives rather than larger.

Also Owning the PE Caribbean Salt I gifted the Caribbean Salt SE to a forum Member who I know loves Serrated blades more than just about anyone and has been very helpful to me and others .

We should be hearing a report on this knife from him pretty soon It is likely still in the mail.
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Native 5 Salt. Knife was stiff when I first received it but has smoothed out very nice in the past few months. The steel has been great, touches up real easy and edge retention is good. I will definitely continue to purchase different models in this steel. I put a MXG Gear deep carry clip on it and this folder has definitely been seeing more use lately than any of my others.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Jim, how does LC200N behave, say compared to VG-10? The PE leaf blade Caribbean is the only folder on my radar right now. I really need to sell some queens and get a Caribbean.
Bill:
The LC200N so far behaves very well. I'm not really certain if it holds an edge better or worse than VG-10, but I feel it holds it a bit better. Both resharpen very easily. Both are great steels, but in my admittedly still limited experience with it, LC200N seems to get even sharper than VG-10.

Of course, as with anything, YMMV.

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Bill:
The LC200N so far behaves very well. I'm not really certain if it holds an edge better or worse than VG-10, but I feel it holds it a bit better. Both resharpen very easily. Both are great steels, but in my admittedly still limited experience with it, LC200N seems to get even sharper than VG-10.

Jim
Thank you, Jim. It sounds entirely satisfactory for my needs.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm

Bill:

Jim

This is what I have experienced as well. LC200N is one of those special steels that belie what is merely written on their spec sheets; looking on paper, it shouldn't perform in the manner it does, but it... well... it does.