The Chaparral is a large knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The Chaparral is a large knife

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:18 pm
Michael and the rest of you all have convinced me to want a Chaparral FRN. Now here is my question: Is the 2 mm thick blade strong and tough enough that if use it to cut down cardboard and also for whittling and cutting meats and cheeses for sandwiches, it will not break, and I have the confidence that it will not break or chip?
SEF, I am courious: Have you decided yet? Or even already ordered a Chap?
At least you probably have not RECEIVED one yet, otherwise I´d sure read a related (and hopefully enthusiastic...) post of yours... ;)
The answer is this: I held out for the Spyderco Stretch with laminated VToku2/SUS stainless steel. Is that a good decision? I do appreciate the answers of you and others.
The Stretch is fine. It was designed as a hunting knife. The Chaparral is a general duty pocket knife. I have a carbon fiber and an FRN Chaparral, both. I find I prefer the FRN version for some reason.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:18 pm
Michael and the rest of you all have convinced me to want a Chaparral FRN. Now here is my question: Is the 2 mm thick blade strong and tough enough that if use it to cut down cardboard and also for whittling and cutting meats and cheeses for sandwiches, it will not break, and I have the confidence that it will not break or chip?
SEF, I am courious: Have you decided yet? Or even already ordered a Chap?
At least you probably have not RECEIVED one yet, otherwise I´d sure read a related (and hopefully enthusiastic...) post of yours... ;)
The answer is this: I held out for the Spyderco Stretch with laminated VToku2/SUS stainless steel. Is that a good decision? I do appreciate the answers of you and others.
Judging based on my needs and preferences: If I would have neither a Stretch, nor a Chap, I'd go for a Stretch first, no doubt. Though in my case I'd look for a Stretch 1, and the laminated steel would be HAP 40.

If no Stretch 1 was to be found, I'd still go for a Stretch 2 (which I also like very much). Don't know about VToku though. No personal experience, but it seems to rust very fast...

In any case: As soon as I had one (or maybe two in different steels) Stretch, my next knife (of any folder I could buy) would be a Chap FRN. It's just a masterpiece of design, fit and finish, and though I prefer bigger knives, THIS is the (small) knife I always reach for on the (rare) occasions when I want or need to carry something smaller.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

I love the FRN Chappy and carry it daily during the week. That may change one day if/when the FRN Caly 3.5 ever comes out. I carry a fixed blade on weekends, with a Spyderco Roadie in my coin pocket.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Could someone share a picture of a Chap next to a native5 for size comparison?

Thanks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks.
Unfortunately I sold my Native to fund the Chap, so, sorry, no. Chap next to a Delica is my best offer... ;)

But I can say: Between Chap and Native there is really almost no difference concerning actual edge, but a lot concerning size in the pocket. The Chap is way slimmer and also shorter when closed. Just for me the Chap is the "better Native" ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It is relative- the Chaparral is significantly smaller than anything I carry, including what I carry to my office every day.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is relative, which is a point that sometimes gets lost along the way. It’s a bit larger than the Lil’ Native and smaller than a Para 3. However, the way it performs at cutting it’s really a big knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Great thread Michael.

Here's my similar combo. :) I love the Pemberton.

The clip on the Chap, is from a Lil' Native. I like the shorter clip better on a small knife.
Last edited by Fred Sanford on Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks.

If you Google "Chaparral Native 5" and then click "Images" there are tons of pics.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
anycal

Post by anycal »

Thanks.
Peter
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Those are fine looking knives Peter!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Finally, somebody sees the world as I do! :D
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

Mcbee anyone?
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I like my FRN Chaparral best, of course my FRN has a XHP blade, my Carbon Fiber Chap has the "old" S30V blade.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

2.5 to 3.0 is small,

under 2.5 to 2.0 is very small,

under 2.0 is micro

Chap is 2.8 blade
the handle is very compact and slim
50/50 choil provides excellent ergos.