Phantom Lock: Tell me what this thing is and how is it compared to others?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Phantom Lock: Tell me what this thing is and how is it compared to others?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

How do you all like the Phantom Lock as a knife lock mechanism compared to others?
araneae

Re: Phantom Lock: Tell me what this thing is and how is it compared to others?

Post by araneae »

It's a bit of a novelty, but not something I'd want in a work knife. Totally fine for casual use I suppose, I have one of the old AUS6 versions. I do like the handle pattern, I believe it was modeled after the Navigator.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Basically it is a backlock, but instead of pushing down on the lock bar you push down on the rear of the left scale. Definitely a novelty, but for the size of the knife it seems plenty strong.

The best part of it is showing your knife buddies how easy it is to open and close then watching them struggle.
"Seven for One"
archangel

Post by archangel »

There must be good reasons why it's not used in more knives. I haven't yet found one though. Maybe, but that's just a guess, some people may unlock the blade unintentionally by gripping the handle in a strange way. Hasn't happened to me yet. I'm (obviously) a fan. :) Gimme more!

Yes, it's for sure a fun plus to see how muggles can't figure out how to unlock the knife. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's a fairly complex way of accomplishing a simple task. The lock itself works like a Crawford lock, AG Russell's One Hand Knife, and the lock on Spyderco's C35 Q. However, instead of just lifting the front of the lockbar with your finger(s), a pivoting liner and scale lifts front of the lockbar when pivoted. Adds complexity, adds weight, and places for grit and lint to cause problems, all for no actual benefit other than to let you make your friends look like idiots when they can't figure out how to close it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
archangel

Post by archangel »

You're a Phantom killer, Paul. :eek:

But I must admit you're probably right. There are for sure locks that are less complex and potentially prone to problems (dirt etc).

Still a cool lock in my personal, subjective opinion. And for light use (cardboard cutting etc), I see no problems. Haven't yet experienced any, and I do carry and use my Meerkat frequently.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

From what I can understand,

Pros:
Constructed similarly to a backlock and therefore similar locking strength, but with the advantage of 1 handed close.

Cons:
Having a Phantom lock makes it so you cannot take apart the knife, and limits clip options to tip down only.

This lat point is most likely why there arent more with it. As far as strength and ease of operation go though, it is at the top of its class. I love it
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal