What effects/what happens if India and Pakistan go to nuclear war against each other?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

What effects/what happens if India and Pakistan go to nuclear war against each other?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have been wondering this for years. And with recent events in the news the issue has come up again.

Both India and Pakistan are nuclear states. They have nuclear weapons. IF they do go to all out war and use nuclear weapons on each other, what are the effects and implications for America and other nations?

Here is one article I read:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... -war-44682

I read also that scientists have run computer models and estimations and have concluded that even if only India and Pakistan nuked each other, and alliances with other nations such as the USA, Russia, and China, did not get entangled in the mess, the radiation getting into the air and water alone would spread, depending on water and air currents, and would infect other places.

What do you all think?
MichaelScott

Re: What effects/what happens if India and Pakistan go to nuclear war against each other?

Post by MichaelScott »

Everyone dies.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Re: What effects/what happens if India and Pakistan go to nuclear war against each other?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I always thought “On The Beach” by Nevil Shute a great, post nuclear war hypothesis. It’s decades since I read it, though.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I spent years during the Cold War deeply inserted into the nuclear deterrent program. People today do not realize how dangerous that can be. Let’s hope we never find out.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 am
I have been wondering this for years. And with recent events in the news the issue has come up again.

Both India and Pakistan are nuclear states. They have nuclear weapons. IF they do go to all out war and use nuclear weapons on each other, what are the effects and implications for America and other nations?

https://youtu.be/T4duwSQZyBA
Here is one article I read:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... -war-44682

I read also that scientists have run computer models and estimations and have concluded that even if only India and Pakistan nuked each other, and alliances with other nations such as the USA, Russia, and China, did not get entangled in the mess, the radiation getting into the air and water alone would spread, depending on water and air currents, and would infect other places.

What do you all think?
Something is bound to happen sooner or later! I don't really worry about things out of my control. You have a better chance of dying in a car or bike accident then a nuclear war...by far!

Albert Einstein
“The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything save our modes of thinking, and we thus drift toward unparalleled catastrophe.”

James

On a lighter side....There's always the issue of "The mine shaft " and "Doomsday" GAPS!!! :eek:
https://youtu.be/kuPh6TfK4iY
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Probably a bunch of unintended consequences (as when someone assassinates an archduke in some Balkan country).
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Billions dead... It's a beginning.

It's not Pakistan vs India. It's Muslim vs Hindu.
In 711, began the jihad conquest of the subcontinent of India.

When the British granted independence in 1947,
they partitioned India and Bengal creating West Pakistan and East Pakistan
(present day Pakistan and Bangladesh) because of their Muslim majorities.
The Hindus had India and the Sikhs in Kashmir were assigned to India.

The intent was to foster peace between Muslim and Hindu by separating them.
Instead it triggered religious cleansing and one of the bloodiest upheavals in human history,
one that continues to this day while Kashmir struggles for independence.

One of Muhammad's companions in a hadith stated:
"The Messenger of Allah promised that we would invade India."
In another hadith Muhammad said that the group that invades India
will be free of the fire of **** and will ascend to paradise.

Preemptive strikes by India seem reasonable against an enemy that believes
that Muslim lands must be regained and that non-muslims must be killed or subjugated.
Nuclear retaliation by Pakistan, an Islamic state, that believes in Muslim world domination,
that non-believers are filth and that killing and dying for Allah gains admission to paradise
seems inevitable. What's taking them so long?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It would negatively affect the entire planet in a big way.

Just look at the Fukushima nuclear disaster. In spite of being out of the news for years, and some attempting to minimize it, nuclear radiation from that plant is still pouring into the Pacific Ocean and spreading far and wide. This is from just one (or two) ruined nuclear facility(s).

Also consider that the natural destruction of the little island of Krakatoa in the 1800s had worldwide effects.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 am
What do you all think?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you. Please keep this discussion going.I want all possible viewpoints and information for us to consider. Mad Mac, I agree with you, good points. There seem to be two main views: on one hand there is the view that I have heard some say, that these atomic powers are primitive and crude compared to the USA and Russia and China the three main super powers. On the other hand, experts have said that even nuclear powers with less capacity than the "big three" could still screw up the world majorly. Michael I value your input very much because of your knowledge and experience on this, too.

Years ago I spoke with what I call a "Cold War Optimist". This man was of the opinion that there are "winnable nuclear wars" and his outlook was that the Earth and nature are very resilient, and mankind is very adaptable and survivable, and with enough knowledge and Fall Out shelters, eventually things could get back to normal. He told me this: He said "Look, Russia and America have been exploded nuclear bombs in nuclear tests and we are all still here,right?"

How would you all respond to his positive and optimistic outlook in view of the deadly power of radiation and nuclear explosions and their after-effects?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nature is very resilient. Look at chernoble. That was such a mess, a huge disaster. Plant and animal life are thriving in the area. Yes a nuclear war would wipe out a lot of the planet, but it would come back. Might take many years but the world has recovered before.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Nature is very resilient. Look at chernoble. That was such a mess, a huge disaster. Plant and animal life are thriving in the area. Yes a nuclear war would wipe out a lot of the planet, but it would come back. Might take many years but the world has recovered before.
Provided the superpowers didn't get involved the effects of a war between those two countries would be only regional and not effect the world all that much. Much less than a supervolcano like Yellowstone erupting would affect the world. Perhaps some crops and animal herds would have to be discarded where fallout carried but it wouldn't be to the point of affecting the whole world. Quite honestly the effect of nuclear warheads is less than reactor incidents like Chernoble when it comes to lasting damage. The type warhead and altitude of the initiation control how dirty the event is. Ground bursts like where one country tries to kill the other countries ICBM fields kick up much more fallout than airbursts. That kind of laydown is what makes regions uninhabitable. Look how fast Hiroshima and Nagasaki came back and were rebuilt. 2 and 3 stage thermonuclear warheads can be cleaner than older less sophisticated primitive bombs in general also. All are pretty bad if you are close though. In general achieving nuclear power status makes countries more responsible, not less for numerous reasons.

If a war of even limited nuclear strikes happens though everything changes. Something will continue but what? Look how much 9/11 changed our culture and that was a nothing event in comparison.

Joe
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Maybe when the smoke clears, Taiwan will be the capital of China.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

SEF or anybody else interested. I can point out some easy reading research type stuff on the net about nukes and the targeting, safekeeping and other things involved with the topic. It's not all dry government textbook stuff either. PM me and I'll send the links.

Joe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Maybe, when the smoke clears, the largest mammal will be a shrew (again).