Detent tuning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Detent tuning

Post by ChrisinHove »

Interesting... I have a Taichung spydie in need of a firmer detent.

How long do you reckon it will be before complaints get posted about “loose detents from the factory”?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

One could argue that in a perfect world, you'd receive a knife with a weak detent and a dull edge. Then you could sharpen the edge and tune the detent the way you prefer.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

shunsui wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:16 am
One could argue that in a perfect world, you'd receive a knife with a weak detent and a dull edge. Then you could sharpen the edge and tune the detent the way you prefer.
:D :D :D

Very good.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Sorry I didn't take pictures. It was my first time and i didn't want anything to distract me and contribute to a mess up. When i do my carribean I'll take pictures.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I did this mod tonight to both my amalgam and sliverax. It worked great. I removed really smal amounts of stee at a time, reassembled, tested and repeated until I was satisfied. It makes a world of difference. Now that I know how to do this I’m not gonna sweat weak detents anymore, I’ll just fix it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm
I did this mod tonight to both my amalgam and sliverax. It worked great. I removed really smal amounts of stee at a time, reassembled, tested and repeated until I was satisfied. It makes a world of difference. Now that I know how to do this I’m not gonna sweat weak detents anymore, I’ll just fix it.
Same, I think I saw your post on facebook. I use the same bit. When I'm done the detent hole looks almost unchanged but the knife handles different.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm
Yep, it's a pretty simple fix.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Anyone tried this on the Bradley Air?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:27 pm
This is what I used to open detent hole. I could've used a rotary tool but I chose to turn the bit by hand. I took a little off at a time and tested until it was where I wanted it. I'm very happy with the results.
razorsharp wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:26 pm
A mod I have performed a lot of times :) I prefer to use a small cylindrical bit as you can keep the edges of the hole closer to 90 degrees :)
Could y'all share the tool(s) used in this work? Did you just use a driver and slowly turn? And for that matter do y'all have a bit / bit set you would recommend? Thinking of doing this mod to my positron, and would greatly appreciate pointing me in the right direction...

Thanks!
~andrew
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

toocool006 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 pm
Could y'all share the tool(s) used in this work? Did you just use a driver and slowly turn? And for that matter do y'all have a bit / bit set you would recommend? Thinking of doing this mod to my positron, and would greatly appreciate pointing me in the right direction...

Thanks!

I used this pin vise and a diamond bur from one of the sets I had from when I worked for a dental equipment manufacturer. I'm sure there's lots of sets available on Amazon. I went with the angled one because I didn't have one that was close to the diameter of the detent hole in the blade. It worked great. I turned it by hand, went slow, and was careful to keep the tool as straight as possible. I won't hesitate to do another one the same way if I feel the need.

EDIT: I just checked my little box of misc burrs and I found a couple tiny ones that might be more suitable for the job. One has a very slight taper. I'll probably try that one next time.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 pm
I used this pin vise and a diamond bur from one of the sets I had from when I worked for a dental equipment manufacturer. I'm sure there's lots of sets available on Amazon. I went with the angled one because I didn't have one that was close to the diameter of the detent hole in the blade. It worked great. I turned it by hand, went slow, and was careful to keep the tool as straight as possible. I won't hesitate to do another one the same way if I feel the need.

EDIT: I just checked my little box of misc burrs and I found a couple tiny ones that might be more suitable for the job. One has a very slight taper. I'll probably try that one next time.

Thank you, very helpful!
~andrew
Joefairbanks

Post by Joefairbanks »

I know that this thread is fairly old, but I was researching a weak detent issue with my Caribbean. It's not brand new, but new to me.
Great ideas in here, thank you!
BTW- am I the only one that noticed that there is one ball missing from that bearing set in the picture? :)