ST. Nicks Exclusive Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
talonne

Re: ST. Nicks Exclusive Delica

Post by talonne »

I find this combo to be just stunning.
ptd

Post by ptd »

Had they honored the coupon they sent me with reference to this knife in my cart actually worked, I would have one on the way...

-pd
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

I got the Endura FRN ffg around 3 years ago, and have since always felt that it was an awesome blade. It could go toe to toe with any knife in the kitchen, wash it, and head to the garage to break down boxes. All without a sweat. Then I could take it to work (on a farm for 6 months or so now a warehouse) and still have the best slicing blade in the place. The only problem being that it was to big for my taste as the EDC knife I wanted and thought I was getting (perils of online shopping vs seeing it up close in a store).

The Endura made me a Spydie fan , and I fell in love with the Endura/Delica platform although I have yet to try any other Spyderco knives. Needless to say, it only took me a couple of days of wincing at the price while feeling it up with my eyes to convince myself it would be worth the $155 to have all that Endura goodness with me all the time in an edc sized Delica with g10, "voodoo Steele" and the bad *** St Nick's coloring!

I got it yesterday, and by 3pm today I've found countless things to cut, knicked both thumbs somehow without bleeding, and I haven't put it down or stopped smiling! It's my first ever real EDC outside of my Leatherman wingman, so as I'm sure you can all imagine I'm just giddy to know I will have this kind of blade with me for work, as well as general EDC. So far it has exceeded my expectations! its a scapel, and it hasn't left my side. :)

Side note: I've read up on some knives in the forum but this is my first ever post. Seems like a great community, and i hope to stick around and become part of it cause I'm sure sold on the knives lol!
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Welcome to the forum!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I carried and used my SNK Delica today. I'm gonna need to get the Flitz out and see how well it cleans up TiCN.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 pm
Welcome to the forum!
thanks!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Welcome!
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

I got one last year Black Friday for $100. They had a combo sale with the native .
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:29 am
Welcome!
Thanks!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Cone10down!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 am
Welcome to the forum Cone10down!
Thanks Meat!
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

Hatchet 7419 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am
I got one last year Black Friday for $100. They had a combo sale with the native .
Sweet deal!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 pm
I carried and used my SNK Delica today. I'm gonna need to get the Flitz out and see how well it cleans up TiCN.
How does the TiCN seem to hold up compared to DLC? Also, does it clean up as well as DLC?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

DLC is a far better coating as far as resistance to wear is concerned. My pac salt came new with 4 rub marks where the blade touches the handle upon closing. Yesterday I used it to open a window wash fluid jug, and the metal on the seal took the coating off, down to the H1 steel. I just haven’t had nearly the same experience with DLC. DLC seems to be put on a little thicker than the TiCN as well.

One thing I have wondered since owning the pac salt: Does a given coating hold up stronger if it’s used on a harder steal? For instance, could my TiCN coated H1 resist scratching more so if it were applied to a much harder steel like M4/REX 45?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:23 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 pm
How does the TiCN seem to hold up compared to DLC? Also, does it clean up as well as DLC?
This is my first knife with TiCN it seems to be holding up pretty good so far but the other day was the most use it's had. I've read some posts/threads discussing TiCN and some think that it's less wear resistant than DLC and others say it's actually pretty close. I guess time will tell.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here are some pictures of the coating after opening that seal. I’ve never seen DLC come off so easily, even Teflon coatings I’ve had have lasted longer. I’m guessing the soft H1 steel underneath is to blame.
Attachments
0154DFA5-6232-4BE8-9F54-8038A0F5EC32.jpeg
942B1B56-68A7-4F52-A95B-B907407BDE97.jpeg
PStone

Post by PStone »

This is also my first TiCN coated knife. The coating seems to wear off with use faster than DLC. I have been using mine pretty regularly since they dropped. Mainly light to medium typical edc tasks.Cardboard, food prep, random strings, etc. The lamination lines show the wear the best, and the grind lines in the ffg are becoming more visible towards the tip as the coating is wearing off. I still absolutely love this knife though. I’m not talking smack in ANY way. Just want to share my experience.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 am
DLC is a far better coating as far as resistance to wear is concerned. My pac salt came new with 4 rub marks where the blade touches the handle upon closing. Yesterday I used it to open a window wash fluid jug, and the metal on the seal took the coating off, down to the H1 steel. I just haven’t had nearly the same experience with DLC. DLC seems to be put on a little thicker than the TiCN as well.
Just to be clear, are you sure the silver you're seeing isn't particles of the seal deposited onto the blade? I've seen lots of posts with "scratched" DLC that turns out to be metal residue left behind from the item that was cut and not actually scratching/wearing off the DLC. I only ask because those metal foil seals are so soft that it seems very odd it would scratch the coating.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

jabba359 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am
Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 am
Just to be clear, are you sure the silver you're seeing isn't particles of the seal deposited onto the blade? I've seen lots of posts with "scratched" DLC that turns out to be metal residue left behind from the item that was cut and not actually scratching/wearing off the DLC. I only ask because those metal foil seals are so soft that it seems very odd it would scratch the coating.
Agreed... Easy to confuse deposits with wear.