Byrd with Marlin Spike and Shackle Key?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Byrd with Marlin Spike and Shackle Key?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, what do you think of the idea of making a Byrd that has a marlin spike and shackle key/shackle opener, and a 3.5 to 4 inch long blade, with serrations as an alternative ? Is that a good idea?
Pyros9

Re: Byrd with Marlin Spike and Shackle Key?

Post by Pyros9 »

I would definitely buy a couple of those!! :)
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.
~Epicurus
sal

Post by sal »

Rust would be a problem.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm
Rust would be a problem.

sal
I can imagine using H1/LC200n would probably kick up the price enough for it to fall out of the Byrd range.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DutchBlades,

Byrds are made in China.

1. Shipping steel to China is difficult and expensive. Their trading policies are difficult.

2. I don't think they can work with the nitrogen steels that we use. Th "N" steels have their challenges.

sal
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I was wondering is there still a demand for marlin spike knives?
When I was a kid in the 80's, people still had the old WW2 style army tents that used ropes.And I remember seeing people use those knives to set up and take down those tents. I also remember being in the Scouts and seeing our Leader use one to teach the different knots.
But since the 90's I haven't seen anyone actually use a marlin spike as people replaced those old army tents with easy to use pop-up tents. Heck I'm not sure if they even teach Scouts how to tie a knot anymore. I just figured marlin spikes had become obsolete just like those old camping knives with the built in fork and spoons.

I was also wondering would you actually need a super stainless steel like H1 for the Spike? The spike should be thick enough with regular steel not to ever completely rust out. And if you actually used it every day wouldn't the abrasion from the rope polish any corrosion off?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

cbrstar wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:50 am
I was also wondering would you actually need a super stainless steel like H1 for the Spike? The spike should be thick enough with regular steel not to ever completely rust out. And if you actually used it every day wouldn't the abrasion from the rope polish any corrosion off?
I think Sal meant the entire package. Since tools with a marlin spike are generally for use around the ocean, all steel parts would rust with the type of steel China uses.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:50 pm
cbrstar wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:50 am
I think Sal meant the entire package. Since tools with a marlin spike are generally for use around the ocean, all steel parts would rust with the type of steel China uses.
I've actually been thinking about this and I've come to the conclusion that rust doesn't matter...Hear me out.

To me there's going to be two types of Sailors your going to market your knives to. The first is the rich guy who owns his own boat. That type of customer isn't going to be interested in a cheap knife in the first place, and there's already the perfect Spyderco for them with the "Tusk".

But the second type is the Sailor who works on a large commercial vessel. Quite often these guys come from 2nd or 3rd world countries so a much cheaper $30 knife would be perfect for them. This is some speculation but rust isn't an issue here as I believe when these guys have down time they need something to do. And knife maintenance is one of them!

When you google vintage Marlin Spike Sailors knives many of them are absolutely pristine despite being made from high carbon steel. Here are some examples.

I've been noticing a lot of cheaper brands like Camillus have been coming out with marlin spike knives. I think Spyderco with byrd could easily blow the competition out of the water with ease of opening, and offering a fully serrated edge.
OshSailing

Post by OshSailing »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 pm
sal, what do you think of the idea of making a Byrd that has a marlin spike and shackle key/shackle opener, and a 3.5 to 4 inch long blade, with serrations as an alternative ? Is that a good idea?
I think a marlin spike would be a good addition, but as a sailor who has used the Byrd rescue 2, what people don't know and even Spyderco is not aware of is that the Byrd logo hole on the blade can be used as a shackle key.
SpyderEdgeForever

OshSailing wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 pm
I think a marlin spike would be a good addition, but as a sailor who has used the Byrd rescue 2, what people don't know and even Spyderco is not aware of is that the Byrd logo hole on the blade can be used as a shackle key.
Oh wow I am so glad you told us this. Thank you and great to chat with you on here.

May I ask you some Byrd and oceanic life-related questions, please?

1 Would you rate the Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2, with its FRN grip, and part-serrated/Combo-Edge blade and steel, to be a very good sea survival knife? Maybe not as durable as the Salt line but still great and will stand up for that?

2 If a person were stranded on a South Pacific island and they had some Byrd Cara Cara 2 knives could that enable them to procure food and shelter and fire and things if they knew what they were doing?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Osh Sailing,

Welcome to our forum.

One would have to be very careful using the byrd hole as a shackle key. The knife could accidentally open and a sever cut is possible. One would have to hold the knife so it could not open.

Hi SEF,

1. I think that constant see water would eventually take its toll on the knife. I'd opt for a Jumpmaster 2 or a stainless bush-craft model like the Proficient.

2. The Cara Cara 2 would be better than no knife, but I would still prefer the options for #1. Also that kind of skill is not easily won.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:49 pm
1 Would you rate the Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2, with its FRN grip, and part-serrated/Combo-Edge blade and steel, to be a very good sea survival knife? Maybe not as durable as the Salt line but still great and will stand up for that?
Hey SEF, I'd have to so no. The Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2, with its FRN grip, and part-serrated/Combo-Edge blade and steel would not be a good knife for sea survival. It would not be suited to fighting sharks, saltwater crocodiles, giant squid, etc. as the tip is quite fine and would likely snap off in a serious confrontation with fore mentioned creatures. :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:49 pm
2 If a person were stranded on a South Pacific island and they had some Byrd Cara Cara 2 knives could that enable them to procure food and shelter and fire and things if they knew what they were doing?
I'd have to say no again as the knife does not have a marlin spike or shackle key. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you sal and Bloke and others.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My son is a Coast Guard sailor that uses his Atlantic Salt a bunch. I know he'd be all over a sailor's knife.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032