lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Post by TomAiello »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am
i think it would be a great knife to scale down a bit, but i think it would be too close to the native to be worth the production for spyderco. i don’t think people are saying it’s a bad idea. they are just trying to help you see if something that already exists could fit what you are looking for.
The native doesn't have the CBBL. That's a primary criteria for me.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve said a few times that I’d love a dragonfly sized Manix like cbbl fidgeters dream small knife.

Not sure if it’d fill the spot you’re needling to but Qball?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:40 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am

I mean if Spyderco doesn't think there's a demand for it, or if it's too much effort to pull off that's one thing. But barring that... 'shave a few inches off a regular Manix'? By that logic, why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?

I really dislike when people do this too, bro. You're not being salty. Much as I love the Native, I think that would be a cool knife... of course, it would have to be a back lock. ;)
:D
elena86 wrote: ...
I am with you on this one. A 3 inch CBBL Manix would be a great daily user and a nice platform for future sprints.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be popular.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I would be down for a mini Manix 2.
attila

Post by attila »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.

I mean if Spyderco doesn't think there's a demand for it, or if it's too much effort to pull off that's one thing. But barring that... 'shave a few inches off a regular Manix'? By that logic, why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?

Sorry if that comes across a little salty :o but I hope you understand where I'm coming from, I get not everyones into the idea, but why shoot it down, or tell them what they really need is something else?

(Also I hope Vivi gets more Manix XL sprints too :D )

I am with you on this one. A 3 inch CBBL Manix would be a great daily user and a nice platform for future sprints.
TomAiello wrote:
ladybug93 wrote: i think it would be a great knife to scale down a bit, but i think it would be too close to the native to be worth the production for spyderco. i don’t think people are saying it’s a bad idea. they are just trying to help you see if something that already exists could fit what you are looking for.
The native doesn't have the CBBL. That's a primary criteria for me.
I agree with Marius, Matt, and Tom.

If the Native came as a CBBL, it'd probably be my favorite or at least most carried knife. That is, until a more awesome 3" CBBL knife came around.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.
I think people are just trying to be helpful. Most here can see Spyderco isn't going to make Manix 2 versions so similar in length. So to try to be helpful people suggest the most similar knife they can think of, and the Native 5 is certainly a plausible suggestion.

I'm a little confused by this thread, some people saying a 3" Manix 2 is their dream knife, but literally anyone can shave 1/4" off a stock Manix 2. Why not just do that?
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm
I’ve said a few times that I’d love a dragonfly sized Manix like cbbl fidgeters dream small knife.
That's an interesting idea but I think it's tough to make a small knife around the CBBL. You need a lot of handle to actuate the CBBL lock efficiently. And the CBBL doesn't scale down very well, the spring diameter I think would limit how thin the blade stock can be. Maybe you could carve out some space in the scales to accommodate the spring. Plus making molds for a smaller cage is quite the investment.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
I think people are just trying to be helpful. Most here can see Spyderco isn't going to make Manix 2 versions so similar in length. So to try to be helpful people suggest the most similar knife they can think of, and the Native 5 is certainly a plausible suggestion.

I'm a little confused by this thread, some people saying a 3" Manix 2 is their dream knife, but literally anyone can shave 1/4" off a stock Manix 2. Why not just do that?
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm

That's an interesting idea but I think it's tough to make a small knife around the CBBL. You need a lot of handle to actuate the CBBL lock efficiently. And the CBBL doesn't scale down very well, the spring diameter I think would limit how thin the blade stock can be. Maybe you could carve out some space in the scales to accommodate the spring. Plus making molds for a smaller cage is quite the investment.
I’m not saying it’s an easy one but if anyone can do it Spyderco can. It’d likely have to be a bit bigger than a dragonfly but I don’t think by too much. Smaller spring would make the action lighter reducing the amount of grip you’d need in the handle to use it.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 pm
I’m not saying it’s an easy one but if anyone can do it Spyderco can. It’d likely have to be a bit bigger than a dragonfly but I don’t think by too much. Smaller spring would make the action lighter reducing the amount of grip you’d need in the handle to use it.
No, coil springs only come so tiny. And the desired spring strength is roughly the same in a smaller knife as a large knife. The spring follower is around 0.050" in diameter (going from memory here) which is also about as small as you're going to go with any kind of strength. If you take a Manix 2 apart and look at how it works you'll see that it's not a simple lock to miniaturize.

Any changes to the cage would incur the huge injection mold NRE cost. Nice daydream, maybe, but I'd be surprised if Spyderco sees profit in that daydream.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Well thank you for trying to be helpful. But respectfully the Para Military 2 has a 3.4 inch blade, the manix 2 has a 3.3 inch blade. I would again point to the wildly popular para 3 and ask, by your logic, why would spyderco make a para 3 or why would anyone buy a para 3, when you can just shave down a para 2? ....And yet, there is spyderco making a para 3, and there is the knife community loving the para 3 and buying a ton of them... even though the para 3 only has a .4" inch blade length difference with the para 2.

Myself and others don't wish to make our own modded manix and don't want a native instead. I already own a very nice manix 2 and several Native 5's, what I want is a manix 3. Is it really that hard to see the appeal of a manix 3? They make a para 3 and a pm2, given how popular the para3 is, what makes you think they'd never make a manix 3?

And literally everyone can't just shave 1/4" off a knife. Most people I know can't sharpen a knife let alone mod one (not to mention fix the DLC coating after you grind into it). Im sure plenty of knife afi's on the forum can mod a knife, but believe it or not, regular people who have never ventured onto a knife forum, never modded a knife, and maybe never purchased a spyderco before, might be really interested in buying a 3" manix. Who knows, it might be the next "para 3".
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sounds completely plausible to me.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 pm
No, coil springs only come so tiny. And the desired spring strength is roughly the same in a smaller knife as a large knife. The spring follower is around 0.050" in diameter (going from memory here) which is also about as small as you're going to go with any kind of strength. If you take a Manix 2 apart and look at how it works you'll see that it's not a simple lock to miniaturize.

Any changes to the cage would incur the huge injection mold NRE cost. Nice daydream, maybe, but I'd be surprised if Spyderco sees profit in that daydream.
It is perhaps too cost prohibitive for Spyderco to pursue, however I still think it’s possible to do. Coil springs come in many sizes, I’ve got a container full of tiny coil springs in my Airsoft spare parts container. Now most those ones aren’t likely stiff enough but small stiff springs are made. Also in a smaller version I think a spring with about 1/2 the tension would be sufficient. How many folks on her have taken to modding their Manix for less spring tension as it is? Titanium instead of plastic cage. They could do it, it’ll likely never happen, but I think they could.
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

:D I love my Delica. That said, if there was a cbbl available in a similar form factor as the Delica when I got it, it would have surely made that choice much tougher. Starting to look at the Mantra 3 with the compression lock for just that reason.
The caveat is that I'm really digging the hap40 on my Delica, so I've put myself in a bit of a pickle on my next knife. :D
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’d buy a few mini Manix’s! Even without the lock in question, a Native 5 simply doesn’t fit the role if you ask me, either. That’s like telling someone to go buy a mini griptillian for their mini Manix needs.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This has certainly been a theme over the years. It seems like it would be worth a shot given the interest... I know I'd buy one.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Which sage had the bolt lock
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
... why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?
Absolutely. I have never seen the point of the Para 3. Everything you say is spot on. I am with you bro !
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 pm
Which sage had the bolt lock
Sage 3. It came with two different handle materials, if I remember right. I think it was blue g-10 and carbon fiber, at different times.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 am
I’d buy a few mini Manix’s!
Here's a mini-manix for sale :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Original- ... SwIelcXNr3

;)
:unicorn
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I for sure would love to see it happen. I don't necessarily want a scaled down version of the original. More like the Para 3 that's a chopped version of the PM2. To help picture it I found this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59100
Joey

Post by Joey »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm
Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 am
I’d buy a few mini Manix’s!
Here's a mini-manix for sale :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Original- ... SwIelcXNr3

;)
Not bad. Make it a tad smaller, add the CBBL, and knock $150 off and I’m sold! Backlocks are great, but they usually aren’t necessary for my uses. CBBL is plenty tough and I wish they used it more often.

Were those gen 1 Manix’s smaller?