Warehouse knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cao87

Re: Warehouse knife

Post by Cao87 »

What about native 5 lw?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cao87 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:27 pm
What about native 5 lw?

Great knife but not as easy to open with gloves. Smaller hole and partially covered by the handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Well I still like the manix because of the width of the handle so lots to think about
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

The native 5 is pretty awesome. A half plain half serrated might be just right for warehouse work. I use mine in a similar capacity sometimes. Makes short work of those hard to cut straps around boxes. and the older models -- still available from many stores - are s35vn!

The Warncliff on the delica is also awesome and I heard they are making a larger version too!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Tims

Post by Tims »

Cao87 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 pm
Ok I work a floral warehouse where they ship flowers to the US and Canada. Anyways product
Comes in from growers on skids usally with shrink wrap on and sort the boxes on skids to go to
The different flower shops/grocery stores. I wear gloves because it is easy on my hands to carry
Boxes. And I have a pouch where I put the knife,pen for signing invoices and a marker for sometimes
Relabeling boxes. So I use the knife for cutting shrink wrap, sometimes strapping and cardboard.
I don’t think I am allowed a fixed blade where I work.

I’ll stand by my earlier suggestion of a wharncliffe endura but mate, the truth is, just about any knife in Spydercos catalog will do the job. All the knives mentioned above would be fine.
The best knife for the job will be the one you enjoy carrying and using. You can get used to just about any design, within reason and make it work for the jobs you’ve listed, so get the one that speaks to you. The one you just want to have.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t think you can go wrong with either a Delica or a Native 5 Lightweight. Both are good all around knives, just pick the one that best fits your gloved hand.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 am
If dropping it is a concern and you don't have a big need for stabbing/penetration (such as cutting holes into the sides of boxes) you might want to consider a sheepsfoot. That style of tip will at least minimise damage if you drop it. Otherwise I doubt that you'll easily break the tip off something like the Pacific. Maybe a very small chip but nothing that can't be sharpened out.
Evil D D beat me to the punch.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

If size is a concern maybe a Tenacious would work well. I like Evil D’s suggestion of a salt 2 but from experience ( I use my knife in almost the same exact way ) H1 steel just didn’t have the edge retention I was looking for, a serrated H1 blade my be a different story though.

If I didn’t set it before... I really have a hard time thrashing a knife over $75+- at work and that is why my primary work knife is the Cara Cara 2.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
fixall

Post by fixall »

Cao87 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 pm
Ok I work a floral warehouse where they ship flowers to the US and Canada. Anyways product
Comes in from growers on skids usally with shrink wrap on and sort the boxes on skids to go to
The different flower shops/grocery stores. I wear gloves because it is easy on my hands to carry
Boxes. And I have a pouch where I put the knife,pen for signing invoices and a marker for sometimes
Relabeling boxes. So I use the knife for cutting shrink wrap, sometimes strapping and cardboard.
I don’t think I am allowed a fixed blade where I work.
We work in very similar work environments. I still think the Delica or Endura Wharncliffe would work amazing for you. The hump of the blade makes for the perfect spot to place a gloved finger for opening boxes with precision. If the handle is too small, what about set of custom G10 scales to give it a bit more size? You could pick up a Delica or Endura (or even a Salt Wharncliffe, although I don't like the lack of liners for hard work) and set of scales for about the cost of a Manix 2. I also keep a Para 3 in my work rotation for days I know we're getting a lot of shipments with thick straps and think that would be another great choice. I tried out the 20CV Manix 2, but it was just too dang big.

Here are my work Spyderco's; HAP40/Burnt Orange FRN Delica Wharncliffe, VG-10/Orange Delica Wharncliffe, S30V/Gray & Blue G10 Delica Wharncliffe, H1 Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE, M4/Canvas Micarta Para 3.

Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Hmmm so many to choose from.
gonzokat86

Post by gonzokat86 »

yojimbo 2 in s90v would be a good one, or a wharncliffe delica
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Like I think I said earlier I have a Delica and the handle is a bit small
For me but there are lots Of combinations of knives to choose from
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Actually I like the manix but because of the locking mechanism
And that I live in Canada they don’t allow knives. With any kind
Of axis lock or wrist flick or something like that so I am looking
For something like tenatious with the liner lock or something with a back lock
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cao87 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 am
Actually I like the manix but because of the locking mechanism
And that I live in Canada they don’t allow knives. With any kind
Of axis lock or wrist flick or something like that so I am looking
For something like tenatious with the liner lock or something with a back lock
Actually here in Canada we are most certainly allowed these knives. I’m not a lawyer but have looked into it. We are not allowed autos or Bali songs but that’s about it. Axis or similar, backlock, frame or linerlock, compression, buttonlock, even assisted knives are all perfectly legal. The Canadian border service has simply decided to reinterpret some rules about what is allowed to be imported. (I’ve ordered a few now since the reinterpretation without issue). Once they are here they are legal to carry as long as the intention is not for self defence or to harm others. Individual jurisdictions have some added rules such as no knives in places that serve alcohol, or in schools etc. Workplaces often have their own rules too.
If you are concerned about not getting your knife through customs, Check Blades Canada, (warriors and wonders) or S&R Knives. There are others but I’ve personally had good experiences with these 2. They typically have stock on a wide selection of Spydies. I find W&W tends to have little to no markup over U.S. prices, once you factor in exchange rates of course.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manix 2 is super super easy to inertia open, maybe even the easiest I've ever handled aside from the older D'Allara models that come open if you breathe on them hard. If that's a concern I would definitely look for a back lock, and I'd also go so far as to call and speak with someone at whatever place you order it from and ask them to tighten down the pivot screws before they ship it, which can give you a little extra security and prevent the border boys from snapping it open and taking your knife. In fact I'd do this last part regardless of what you buy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Combo edge delica. You need the serrations to cut poly straps.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
ferider

Post by ferider »

If you like the Manix (as I do) and want a solid backlock, find yourself an 83mm Manix (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -83-mm/212). Will be great for your purpose, with a nice thick slicey blade. They come up on ebay frequently.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know to some of you all at this time think that I ( JD Spydo) is starting to sound like an old vinyl LP record that has a scratch/skip in it :rolleyes: But I'm going to say it again for about the 800th time>> if they would make a bigger scale, larger version of the 2003 era Dodo model in SE & PE both that would make an absolutely perfect "WareHouse Knife" in my humble opinion.

Heck even the standard issue Dodo is a great utility blade in it's own rite. But a bigger scale version would just be ideal for such purposes and could be used in even more cutting jobs you would encounter IMO.

Most people that have never ever used a Dodo model have no idea at how versatile that model is for such a wide range of uses. And in Warehouse jobs there are all kinds of things you encounter that you would need both a PE & SE blade for. The Dodo would be ideal from a "safety" standpoint as well as having the advantages of "pull cutting" which truly has it's advantages when dealing with really tough materials you would encounter in that type of job.

My second pick at this time would be to make a SPYDERHAWK model in combo edge.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So out of curiosity I checked Blades Canada. Right now they’ve got 13 versions of the Manix in stock, in Canada. S30,ctsbd1, Maxamet, S90, 110v, LW, Backlock, xl, combo edge. No border issues, fast shipping.
My Manix2 can be wrist flicked out but it’s no easier than my older PM2 or similar sized framelocks. My superblue Stretch is only a little harder to flick out. So it won’t accidentally fly out on you and as I mentioned, they are perfectly legal to own and carry in Canada.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm
Cao87 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:50 am
Another question is a pouch that is easy to get a knife and pen and sharpie out
Because I use it all the time
I follow these guys on instagram, they make knife, flashlight, and pen holsters.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaleofKnives
Cao87 at $80+ For a pancake sheath like this I think it’s a little too much money if you ask me. I spent about that on some leather, a punch, wax cord, dye and clear coat finish. I’ve already made two sheaths an I have enough leather to make 2 or 3 more.
Attachments
BB186B7A-C8C5-4B3C-B787-719751F1CFBC.jpeg
BB186B7A-C8C5-4B3C-B787-719751F1CFBC.jpeg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
B71BE0A2-3E63-41D7-BA78-3814332EE40F.jpeg
B71BE0A2-3E63-41D7-BA78-3814332EE40F.jpeg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”