Need some help with a pm2

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Novice knife guy

Need some help with a pm2

Post by Novice knife guy »

The attachment IMG_20190224_151335.jpg is no longer available
Is this spyderco "the real deal" as it feels really well made and rugged but I have my suspicions since I am new to the amazing world of knives and therefore do not have the knowledge to decide whether it's real or not.
Thank you in advance for your help! :)
The attachment IMG_20190224_151423.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_20190224_151459.jpg is no longer available
IMG_20190224_151335.jpg
Novice knife guy

Re: Need some help with a pm2

The attachment IMG_20190225_230602.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_20190225_230539.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_20190225_230519.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_20190225_230420.jpg is no longer available
IMG_20190225_230602.jpg
Novice knife guy

IMG_20190225_230313.jpg
Here are some extra higher quality pictures.please help....
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

That’s definitely not a PM2, all PM2s have compression locks. This has a liner lock and more closely resembles the Spyderco Military, but I am not familiar with the Spyderco Military model so I cannot tell you if it is a real Spyderco Military or not. Sorry that’s probably not the answer you were hoping for.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Novice knife guy

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm
That’s definitely not a PM2, all PM2s have compression locks. This has a liner lock and more closely resembles the Spyderco Military, but I am not familiar with the Spyderco Military model so I cannot tell you if it is a real Spyderco Military or not. Sorry that’s probably not the answer you were hoping for.
No worries! I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond/post.As you accurately stated I think it is a military with swapped scales.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

It looks fake to me, but I'm not a counterfeit pro.
Novice knife guy

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 am
It looks fake to me, but I'm not a counterfeit pro.
Where do you base your opinion that it is fake? Asking so that I can understand for myself in the future.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Here is the only way other than the way the knife appears that I can tell is Spyderco is fake.

USA Earth made Spyderco knives: The lettering on both sides of the blade and the Spyderco logo should be smooth to the touch.

Taichung Taiwan: The lettering on both sides of the blade and the Spyderco logo should feel rough to the touch.

Seki City Japan: The Lettering should be stamped on both sides of the blade and the Spyderco logo should feel smooth to the touch.

I hope that helps.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Novice knife guy

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:20 pm
Here is the only way other than the way the knife appears that I can tell is Spyderco is fake.

USA Earth made Spyderco knives: The lettering on both sides of the blade and the Spyderco logo should be smooth to the touch.

Taichung Taiwan: The lettering on both sides of the blade and the Spyderco logo should feel rough to the touch.

Seki City Japan: The Lettering should be stamped on both sides of the blade and the Spyderco logo should feel smooth to the touch.

I hope that helps.
When you say rough how would you exactly define that? Or by saying smooth like no resistance whatsoever? Thank you for trying to help by the way I really appreciate it! :)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Novice knife guy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:14 am

Where do you base your opinion that it is fake? Asking so that I can understand for myself in the future.
Sorry, I said that before I realized there is some variation in the hardware and lanyard tubes between the older and current Military knives. Yours seems to match. Hopefully someone else can help out.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Novice knife guy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:12 pm
IMG_20190225_230313.jpg
Here are some extra higher quality pictures.please help....
The grind line looks very suspicious to me, won't be surprised if that's even hand ground. Screws feel too crude to be authentic as well.
I have never on any Golden Colorado models spotted such a sloppily executed ramp, not even with antique Militaries that feature old-style jimpings.

To give you a rough clue, this is what you should be expecting about the grind line: https://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php ... 204p.1447/
A crisp and clean straight edge. Also note the organic, gradually concave belly.
I believe there could be more pictures native to this forum, but hey that's what google gave me with the right angles and came right on top.

I actually ended up spending some more time looked up more to see if there are any high-def photo of Military knockoffs. Unfortunately I do find some and the details I mentioned above are exact matches.Image

Get back to the seller and do what you have to do. No one deserves to be ripped off like that, original designer&manufacturer or buyer.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Novice knife guy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:33 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:20 pm

I hope that helps.
When you say rough how would you exactly define that? Or by saying smooth like no resistance whatsoever? Thank you for trying to help by the way I really appreciate it! :)

When I say smooth ( USA Golden Colorado Earth) you will run your finger across the logo and feel no difference whatsoever. When you begin to cross the logo and or the lettering with your finger it should be smooth as glass. With your bare hands you will not be able to tell any difference between where the logo is printed and the steel on the blade.

As far as rough ( Taichung Taiwan ) it would feel something like 5000 / 6000 grit sandpaper. I saw something online where someone took a magnifying glass or something to enhance the image and you could see quite clearly what the differences is. Here is a great thread on the forum and it will explain the differences more thoroughly at least between the American and Taichung factory.
viewtopic.php?t=82578

Hope that helps!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”