Warehouse knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Markana

Re: Warehouse knife

Post by Markana »

When I worked in a warehouse 80-95 I carried a boxcutter.They had rules about knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This thread now needs to be directed to the 2nd phase of it, at this thread below...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83022
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Markana wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:01 pm
When I worked in a warehouse 80-95 I carried a boxcutter.They had rules about knives.
Where I currently work we have to use spring return safety knife. They have taken it a step further even with a ceramic safety knife. :mad:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had a job in the past 5 years that required me to open a lot of boxes and break a lot of nylon straps on pallets. I used an old Spyderco 440V, NATIVE model with a full Spyderedge. There wasn't anything I couldn't handle or accomplish with that knife.

Also at one time I used a fully serrated ( Spyderedged) DODO model for the same type of job. Which is why I would just love to see the DODO return to the main line up and the Spyderedged version of that model especially.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I've worked in warehouses in different capacities for many years in the past. My most used work knives have been the ZDP-189 Dragonfly, the K390 Urban and the H1 Salt Dragonfly. I found the SE blades could behave a little erratically in the cut at times, when getting sticky tape bits and glue stuck in the serrations.

The HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica with a Lynch pocket clip was my most used knife at the last place where I had to wear gloves, and is what I'd use again in that line of work, no question.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I tend to think of a warehouse knife as a "beater" knife. And my first choice every time for that is a Tenacious. It gets the job done and it won't break your heart if it gets lost, stolen, or damaged. Sort of a sacrificial knife if need be. If you discount your vulnerability to this sort of thing and just want to decide what knife is most suited to the task, many things are possible. I might well go with a Manix 2 if rules or worry didn't otherwise guide my choices.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Pacific salt H1 SE cuts for days, tough steel, easy to sharpen
Justin
fixall

Post by fixall »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Delica wharncliffe, obviously. :cool: :D
I second this. I’ve tried a lot of knives at our warehouse and nothing performs better than my whatncliffe Delicas. Absolutely phenomenal knife.

If OP can find a HAP40/Burnt Orange sprint or S30V/Orange CutleryShoppe exclusive... Even better!
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

So I am in between
Manix 2
Tenatious
Native 5 lw
Endura 4 wharranclife

What do you think?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cao87 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:36 am
So I am in between
Manix 2
Tenatious
Native 5 lw
Endura 4 wharranclife

What do you think?
Depends on how rough you intend to be on it and what cutting you’ll be doing. If it’s going to get trashed, the least expensive Tenacious for sure. If you work at the Vaseline factory then Manix2. If you’ll be doing mostly scoring cuts, wharnie. If something more discreet is required then the Native.
Of the listed options, I have 3. I carry and use my Cruwear Manix2 often. I used it at the warehouse a lot. Only con is it’s a pocket hog but for me it is not an issue. My Tenacious rides in my truck at all times, it saw a bit of warehouse use but the steel dulls pretty quick. The Native is too small for my hand, I can only comfortably hold it using the choil which is fine for detailed work but wouldn’t work well in a warehouse. Personally I wouldn’t get much out of such a long wharncliffe, I would go wharncliffe Delica rather than Endura.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

The pros of each option
Manix 2: biggest, most durable, possibly most comfortable
Tenacious: cheapest, minimized loss, should be easiest to sharpen
Native 5 LW: reasonably small, reasonably durable, reasonably comfortable
Endura/Delica Wharncliffe: probably the most slicey option, decent price, slim and light
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

It’s mainly for cutting shrink wrap off of skids sometimes cutting cardboard, and strapping
I have a Delica but it is a bit small because I wear gloves so I would want something a bit bigger
But not to big
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I think the Manix will be your best option. Lots of handle real estate without a huge scary blade. Great with gloves on. It might take you a week to get used to the lock but you will. It’s also great to fidget with if you like that.
I hear Nothing but praise for Enduras, but in the warehouse I would surely have worn down through use and possibly damaged a wharncliffe’s tip.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I think I am in between
Native and manix
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

If the Delica is too small, the Native likely will be too. The handle is a bit taller but it’s shorter.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You've got 2 threads going about this warehouse knife. The majority has suggested the Manix LW in both threads.

-Rick
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Man...
Now i've got a manix wharncliffe on my mind
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Another question is how good is bd-1 steel is it
Dull quickly, also how is closing the knife with gloves on
And how strong is the ball bearing lock
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve got a Byrd with ctsbd1. It’s fine but I’d go for s30v. My experience with 110v was that it is extremely chippy. The lock is extremely strong, you don’t have to worry about it failing that’s for sure. The force required to release the lock is definitely a lot more than an axis lock. They break in a little though and more important you get used to it, making it easy to operate, even with gloves on.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

How are your abilities with sharpening? Would you be able to touch up every couple days? Bd1 is very easy to get back to a very sharp edge, even for someone that is fairly novice at sharpening. The goal is to not let it go completely dull and then touch ups are a breeze.

-Rick