Warehouse knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mattysc42

Re: Warehouse knife

Post by Mattysc42 »

Maxamet native or manix. I use both. Dunno what you’d consider too expensive though. I think $100-$200 is normal for a quality knife.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
J.Sib84

Post by J.Sib84 »

I started out carrying a Benchmade Mini Grip, clip got caught on too many things and wanted a bigger blade. Moved to a Tenacious (my first Spyderco) for several years. Eventually I moved on to carrying PM2s or Manix 2s.

If you think it is going to get dropped a lot or abused I would go with something like a Tenacious or Delica/Endura or even a Manix 2 LW. If you are willing to spend $140+ go with a PM2. Lots of Spyderco choices and I don't think many would be a bad choice. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what your taste is.

I have carried everything from Ladybug to Tatanka at work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Cao87 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:50 am
Another question is a pouch that is easy to get a knife and pen and sharpie out
Because I use it all the time
I follow these guys on instagram, they make knife, flashlight, and pen holsters.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaleofKnives
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Delica wharncliffe, obviously. :cool: :D
- best wishes, Jazz.
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Native 5 Salt. The LC200N steel is great, holds an edge a good long time and is easy to sharpen as well. The color of the scales makes it non threatening in appearance plus easy to find if you sit it down by accident.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I think you would be hard pressed to find something that didn’t work in this situation-
I have used everything from my ambitious through delicas, para3, pm2, yojimbo2, stretch2 and any number of other variants-
They are all perfectly serviceable, I think the main thing is that you need to like it.
I have worked in an automotive warehouse in one capacity or another for the last 12 years and find I like plain edges
Last edited by Daveho on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think the Jazz Delica, especially in serrated, would do a fine job of warehouse tasks. And you won’t have to sharpen it too often.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Manix 2 light weight or an Endura would do nicely. You also have a choice of steels. Personally, I would get the standard steels for what you want because they can be sharpened easily, yet hold a decent edge. Steels like S110V, S90V, Maxament, and etc., while sounding glamorous, will give you fits trying to sharpen and cause frustration. BD1 and VG-10 are perfectly good for this sort of job.

Both of these knives are under $100 and can easily be used with gloves on your hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Agree, a cutting beast I have used all this month for the monthly challenge.

I would also recommend the Para 3 as a great work horse as I carried one for months after getting one when they dropped.

If budget is a issue Delica all day long
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Tims

Post by Tims »

IF I worked in a warehouse, I would choose a plain edge wharncliffe Endura. For cutting power, blade length and quality.
I’m not sure if they’ll be available in orange? But I would get orange so it’s easy to find when put down/misplaced.
I would carry it loose in pocket
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For starters I would recommend a full Spyderedged HARPY model. Not sure what your "warehouse duties" are but anytime I was in one I found a Spyderedged Hawkbill blade came in very handy at times.

Whatever Spyderco blade you decided on I would sure go with something fully serrated because of all the nylon straps and taped boxes you might encounter. Also something Spyderedged out of the Salt Series would be an ideal consideration as well.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

My first thought on a blade would be something in S110v but a wharnie Delica may work better for you, especially in se.

As for a nice pouch, check out the double pistol pouch by blue force gear. I recommended this pouch to a couple of friends for carrying a multi tool and flash light and they love them. It is very light and the elastic design allows it to not be any bulkier than what you are carrying. It’s a great product that has lots of uses.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I have a Delica it works great but because I wear gloves the
Handle is a bit small and I have dropped it a number of times
And the blade is scratched, but nothing broke. I am looking
For something that is simular to Delica but the Endura the blade
Is a bit big for me
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I work in a warehouse/stockroom and currently swap between my wharncliffe delica, lil native, Para3 and my protech strider pt. I really like the lil native for its size and usability with gloves, as it is a little tank! Plus with the wire clip it is easy on the pocket (+). I really like the wharncliffe for the blade but the clip and frn shread my pocket, (clip swapped for a Lynch NW deep carry). But I really think I will end up loving the Para 3 lightweight with it having the wire clip as well...we will see as soon as it hits my mailbox
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Safe to say this thread probably just confused the OP more than it helped him. So many different models, PE/SE, super steels, basic steels. Poor guy!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

How about knives that are really tough like if I dropped it
And I don’t have to worry about it breaking.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I bet the Endura 4 Wharncliffe Spyderedge will make a great warehouse knife.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cao87 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:31 am
How about knives that are really tough like if I dropped it
And I don’t have to worry about it breaking.

FRN is very resistant to damage from dropping. I have accidentally dropped my FRN Pacific Salt onto concrete and watched it bounce at least 6" into the air. When I picked it up, I could not see any damage whatsoever.

I think that a simpler, lower-alloy steel like BD1(N), 8Cr13MoV, or VG-10 would serve your needs well. It would also have the added attractions of being both low-cost and easy to sharpen.

Keep us informed about which knife you decide to go with. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:40 pm
I’d go with this as well.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Manix 2 or pm3