Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Post by MichaelScott »

From what I have been reading about this topic, and what I know about the Military (no full steel liners), as a point of curiosity, not argument, why do you think FRN would not be suitable for the Military? Seems the grip would be there especially in wet, slick environments and the strength would also be there. Is is more personal esthetics?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:07 pm
From what I have been reading about this topic, and what I know about the Military (no full steel liners), as a point of curiosity, not argument, why do you think FRN would not be suitable for the Military? Seems the grip would be there especially in wet, slick environments and the strength would also be there. Is is more personal esthetics?
Personally for me and my uses in the past 5 years or so I've had better luck using G-10 when considering "grip factors". I've had other guys tell me that they prefer FRN saying that they have better luck with it. It is interesting that Spyderco chose FRN for a lot of the models in the Salt Series. Like I said earlier I've used several of my SPYDERHAWK models with an FRN handle over the years and I don't let the FRN handle dissuade me at all. But I would love to try a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle. I used to have a G-10 Harpy for my companion SE blade and I carried it almost daily for 6 years plus until some low life stole it from me and sold it for the price of a pack of cigarettes :( And I've been after Sal & Co to do another G-10 Harpy.

It just works better for me and I personally like the looks of it a lot better on those premium models. Like I said this is turning into a Ford versus Chevy discussion and probably none of us are wrong. Hey if FRN works better for you or others then more power to you.>> but in the long haul G-10 has served me far better.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm
I've had my G10 wear down to a smoother texture. You can bring back the color with oils like ballistol but it can't restore physical wear of the texture itself. My Police 3 user feels a lot different than the identical pre-need back-ups I bought.
A lot of what you're pointing out has to do with the "grade" of G-10. For instance I've had one of the original 2003/2004 era DODO models ever since they came out. I've found that the G-10 that is used on most of the GOLDEN made models maintains it's grip factor significantly better than some of the Japan made models. I've used that 2003/2004 era Dodo a lot over the years and it's just as grippy as it was the day I bought it.

However I've made it a point to maintain all of folders on a constant basis. I really can't recall any Spyderco models other than my earlier RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models that the G-10 handle lost it's grip properties. I EDCed a RENEGADE model for almost a year back in the 2004 era and that G-10 got sort of slick over time. But that's the only one I can remember. And believe me I put my EDC folders through very demanding work in a year's time.

there must be different grades of G10, because after only 2 years of carry my Chinese Resilience G10 smoothed out where the clip met the pants and pinched them between the clip and scales (visible in the pic below)

but in the same pants, the G10 in several Cold Steels and one Ontario and one KaBar folders remained the same, or changed so little as to be unnoticeable :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm
I've had my G10 wear down to a smoother texture. You can bring back the color with oils like ballistol but it can't restore physical wear of the texture itself. My Police 3 user feels a lot different than the identical pre-need back-ups I bought.
A lot of what you're pointing out has to do with the "grade" of G-10. For instance I've had one of the original 2003/2004 era DODO models ever since they came out. I've found that the G-10 that is used on most of the GOLDEN made models maintains it's grip factor significantly better than some of the Japan made models. I've used that 2003/2004 era Dodo a lot over the years and it's just as grippy as it was the day I bought it.

However I've made it a point to maintain all of folders on a constant basis. I really can't recall any Spyderco models other than my earlier RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models that the G-10 handle lost it's grip properties. I EDCed a RENEGADE model for almost a year back in the 2004 era and that G-10 got sort of slick over time. But that's the only one I can remember. And believe me I put my EDC folders through very demanding work in a year's time.

there must be different grades of G10, because after only 2 years of carry my Chinese Resilience G10 smoothed out where the clip met the pants and pinched them between the clip and scales (visible in the pic below)

but in the same pants, the G10 in several Cold Steels and one Ontario and one KaBar folders remained the same, or changed so little as to be unnoticeable :confused:
There are most definitely different grades of G-10. Like I said earlier I've found that most of the G-10 handles on the GOLDEN, CO USA made Spyders to be a much better grade. Like I said earlier I still have one of the DODO models I've had since late 2003 and it's just as good as it was the day I first got it. Now I haven't had that good of luck with some of the other older Spyderco models with G-10 handles.

Also I believe that "Resilience" is one of those lower priced models which would explain a lot. However the G-10 on both my Sprint Run Ayoob models has held up very well since 2011. Oh there is no doubt that there are different grades of G-10.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm in the "all good, just different" camp for scale materials as well as steels.

G10 is good stuff. I do find some of the peel-ply a bit coarse when new, but it does wear down over time. My favorite g10 is the diamond-weave on the original Cruwear Manix sprint. The texture is finer than regular peel-ply and they always had a softer feel to me. I think Spyderco has used this finer texture without the weave pattern on some other models, but I can recall which atm.
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:07 pm

I'd really like to have a piece of each material to do some random abuse testing. From just basic observation it seems to me that G10 is significantly more rigid which could be good and bad depending on use, and it seems that ultimately liners of some sort are the equalizer because I think FRN would deform and stretch when pushed to it's limits while G10 may hold it's shape longer but may also be more prone to cracking instead of deforming. Some amount of steel liners around the pivot and stop pin will remedy this and we can already see it working on the Manix 2 lightweight. I assume their use of the wee little washer-like liners in that knife had more to do with stabilizing the lock and/or back spacer piece than to strengthen the pivot, since there have been prior linerless FRN models that didn't have those liners (or perhaps it has something to do with it being FRCP rather than FRN?).

Regardless, I have put the Manix 2 lightweight through **** and it showed no signs of damage or weakness, so it seems to me that regardless of what scale material is used, the amount of liner used really only needs to be around the high stress high load areas and the only gains seen from full liners is clip mounting and extra weight.

I would really love to see some failure testing done on the Manix 2 lightweight. I'm really curious what part of it would fail first. I wonder if the pinned pivot is stronger than a 3 piece screw pivot?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

G-10 is arguably my favorite handle material. It just ticks all the boxes for me.

Having said that, I really like Spyderco's FRN. It's light, durable, and less expensive. Plus I think it looks good, especially when it's in a color that I like.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm holding out for Sasquatch bone handles. Very rare.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kels73 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 pm
G-10 is arguably my favorite handle material. It just ticks all the boxes for me.

Having said that, I really like Spyderco's FRN. It's light, durable, and less expensive. Plus I think it looks good, especially when it's in a color that I like.
Speaking of "colors">> and when speaking of the Salt Series it does appear that FRN has some distinct advantages. I've actually wondered why we haven't seen a nuclear yellow G-10 handle as of yet >> or is there one already that I'm just unaware of??

When doing a chemical cleaning on FRN I've yet to be able to restore the original luster whereas with G-10 that BALLISTOL really brings it back to life almost like magic. Albeit you do have to scrub on it with a hard bristle toothbrush to achieve the desired results.

I guess I could concede by saying that FRN seems to do better with the nuclear colors like Yellow, Green, Orange ect.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Crux wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:57 pm
I would settle for Mammoth tusk from the permafrost.
Crux

Post by Crux »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 am
Crux wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:57 pm
I would settle for Mammoth tusk from the permafrost.
That's so yesterday.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

FRN has been the "king" of handle materials for me. In the "old days" it was Kraton or Thermorun Rubber, which I still do appreciate. But, FRN and its derivatives and related types is the one. Regarding G10, I had bad experiences with low-quality and very rough-finished G10 handles until Spyderco G10. That is what changed it for me. Spyderco for some reason has good G10.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am also hoping that Spyderco takes that Paramilitary Tanto we saw in the 2019 SHOT Show video, and makes that a regular production model, and, also makes a Light Weight version with FRN. I am not alone in this.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I'm going to have to disagree with the OP. I think FRN is the way to go. Easier to clean, grip in damp or slick situations and less abrasive on pockets as well. I have probably two G-10 spydercos out of over 30. In the work I do my hands may be slick with mud, oil or grease and I don't have the same confidence in G-10 as I do in textured FRN.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

From favorite to least(I have yet to find a material I CAN'T use.)

G10: Can't go wrong with a G10 Spydie. For grip, I love the machined scales on the Caribbean, they don't budge in any condition and are less abrasive to my pocket than the normal texture.

Titanium: When I want it dressed up a little, but also very robust.

Micarta: G10 that I can make in the shed.

Carbon Fiber: You show me fluted cf and I get weak in the knees. If I'm going light, it's the material I would want.

FRN: Softer than FRCP, feels more durable.

FRCP: Harder than FRN, feels more brittle to me(under extreme impact forces.)

Stainless: A slippery battleship. Love it on small coin pocket knives, like a Kiwi.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm
Kels73 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 pm

I've actually wondered why we haven't seen a nuclear yellow G-10 handle as of yet >> or is there one already that I'm just unaware of??
I don't know, but I'd definitely be down for some hi-vis nuclear yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:38 pm
From favorite to least(I have yet to find a material I CAN'T use.)

G10: Can't go wrong with a G10 Spydie. For grip, I love the machined scales on the Caribbean, they don't budge in any condition and are less abrasive to my pocket than the normal texture.

Titanium: When I want it dressed up a little, but also very robust.

Micarta: G10 that I can make in the shed.

Carbon Fiber: You show me fluted cf and I get weak in the knees. If I'm going light, it's the material I would want.

FRN: Softer than FRCP, feels more durable.

FRCP: Harder than FRN, feels more brittle to me(under extreme impact forces.)

Stainless: A slippery battleship. Love it on small coin pocket knives, like a Kiwi.
That's an extremely interesting rundown of favorite handle materials SDG :) And the main reason is because it's a virtual carbon copy of exactly what all I like and almost in perfect order as well. I've had a hidden admiration for Titanium handles for quite some time now and wish Spyderco made more of them.

But saying that "You Can't Go Wrong" with G-10 handles just hits the nail directly dead center IMO. And I like Micarta so much that it truly grieves me that Spyderco has all but abandoned that great handle material. Some of the older GOLDEN ERA SPyders ( 1998-2004) that had Micarta handles are still among my classic favorites. Thanks a bunch for putting that great looking chart up there for all of us to consider :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I work with several (major) plastic manufacturing facilities and they all consider G10 bomb proof, harder to cut/shape, and of course bad to inhale during that process. The fact they consider it indestructible, tells me a lot. It also is more expensive than you’d think.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:38 pm
Great minds, sir!

I have recently developed this affection for titanium. So much so, I even deal with a frame lock. The Mantra 1 really surprised me, it is easily my second favorite knife.

I am dying to see a new offering with a compression frame lock.
I'm crushed that they shelved the Ti Caribbean XL idea... Hope it gets revisited, it would be epic!
Also, ever since I heard about the Ikuchi being a Ti compression lock in an earlier stage, I have been kinda bummed. I'll definitely still buy it, but man what a thing it could have been. I would have payed the three bills, that I am sure caused them not to go that route, in a heartbeat!

Wait... this is a G10 thread. What happened?

:spyder:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:31 pm
I work with several (major) plastic manufacturing facilities and they all consider G10 bomb proof, harder to cut/shape, and of course bad to inhale during that process. The fact they consider it indestructible, tells me a lot. It also is more expensive than you’d think.
That's really interesting to get an opinion like that from major manufacturers. It now makes me wonder what grades of G-10 the Military might be using? Because I have it from a really good source that the Carbon Fiber they use is years ahead of what we've had for knife handles. And I got that first hand from a good friend who just did 25 years plus that just retired from a branch of the service who seen and worked with a lot of stuff that us civilians may never see or be exposed to.

Yeah it would be most interesting to see how a Military grade of either material would perform in your favorite Spyder.