Fish Hunter has arrived! :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife Knut

Re: Fish Hunter has arrived! :)

Post by Knife Knut »

Any updates on how well your modifications work, and how you decided to attach elastic bands, BladeDiver?
BladeDiver

Post by BladeDiver »

Hi all,

Just thought I would pop in and give a short feed back on how the Fish Hunter(s) are holding up.

All in all, I am very happy with the knife, one of the best spear fishing knives in the market, probably the best with a few modifications in my opinion.

a) Plain edge back: To me it is very important to have a plain edge on a knife, it cuts cleaner, works well with in-the-field filleting and it makes penetration of the fish easier. So I am very happy I made this modification.

b) Oxidization: I am very impressed with the H1 steel, not a single spot of rust after many many long days in salt water.

c) Hole for retraction of spear: The way I did it compromises the strength of the blade too much. If this feature should be included, it should at or near the centre of the blade where the material is thicker. However, it is not a critical feature. One could ask if there should be a hole in the blade at all...

d) Sheath: "As is" it is not good enough. After some use, the "lock" gets worn and the knife slips out too easily. For diving, you must use a lanyard, or better, an elastic to attach the knife to the sheath. I use a round elastic around 30 cm long tied to the handle and to the upper hole in the original sheath. Further, I mount the sheath with one diving strap or two round elastics on the upper part of my forearm with handle facing the wrist. Like this, you can easily work with the knife and put the knife back with full visual control. You do not want to miss the opening of the sheath and slide this knife in where it does not belong... For me, keeping it in the belt is a no-go (also keep in mind the reduced angle of vision in the water and through a diving mask). When using my first knife (pictured in my previous post), I did not secure the knife to the sheath and I lost it. This was 14 months ago, and it is still in the Atlantic Ocean:). If I find it someday, I will share with you an update on the H1 corrosion resistance:). A second knife, I gave to my father, and it is still holding up well. My third is now at the knife smith's to set a plain edge on the back. I will not modify the hole this time.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BladeDiver,

Thanx again for the input and for sharing for other divers.

Sheaths are always an issue. Bolteron (Kydex) sheaths have better memory than injection model FRN. If you want a Boltaron sheath for your knife, I would suggest contacting Christina at SheathPro. But as mentioned, I would still tie it to me somehow.

sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Sheaths for diving are always an issue, but there are many retention options already in the market. I think it worth to take a look.