My first impressions with a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaypuck

My first impressions with a Spyderco

Post by jaypuck »

You guys may have seen my earlier post asking why you all liked Spyderco knives. Well, I got a lot of great responses and several points were brought up by almost everyone that responded. That, plus some independent reading I did about the company convinced me to give one a try. My Native 5 (in G10) was delivered while I was at work today, so I was anxiously awaiting quitting time so I could rush home and check it out.

Before I even pulled it out of the plastic, I could tell this was a SOLID knife. It's not heavy, but it feels really well built even compared to my current EDC which is a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. In addition to my first Spyderco, this is also my first knife with G10, and let me just say: Wow. I LOVE the feel of the G10 on this thing. It's grippy without being coarse. The pocket clip seems like it has a good amount of tension without being too tight. I haven't actually put it in my pocket yet but at first glance the clip will be fine.

THEN, I opened the blade. It *snapped* into place with authority. There is absolutely no doubt that this is a solid lock up. I've read and heard quite a bit about how smooth Spydercos are, and it could be the fact that this one sat out in the cold all day, or it may need loosened up just a tiny bit, because it seems a little rough to me. I'm sure I'll spend the next few days playing with it, and it might get better.

The ergonomics are great. It fits in my relatively small hands comfortably and naturally. The jimping on the spine and choil are well executed and feel good, the clip doesn't pinch when I'm gripping the knife and it's just plain fun to hold. If you hold the blade in one hand in what seems like a rather natural way to try to close it, when the blade falls the finger on front is lined up with the choil, so you don't get cut. I don't know if that's by design or a happy accident, but either way it's appreciated since if that wasn't the case, I'd be wearing a band aid for a few days.

The blade is extremely sharp. It's easily the sharpest knife I've ever owned out of the box. It glides through paper (it's first task was opening a bill, being an adult sucks, huh?) like it's not even there.

So far my only complaint is with the locking mechanism. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, I've just been spoiled by the Axis lock and liner locks, this one is a bit more difficult to close one handed without using my hip or something to get the blade lowered enough to grab the spidey hole and close it the rest of the way. (Speaking of the spidey hole: I used to think it was dumb, but now I totally get it, it's awesome).

It's early to tell, but... I don't think the Native 5 will become my new go to EDC knife. However! I think my biggest complaints about it would be addressed by getting something with a different locking mechanism sooooo, I think I'll be getting a Para 3 in the very near future!

Thank all of you, and thanks Sal for making an awesome knife. I may not be a total convert yet, but I get why all of you are so loyal to the brand.
SF Native

Re: My first impressions with a Spyderco

Post by SF Native »

Oh your poor wallet. We have all been there man. You are going to like the compression lock. The beauty of the back lock will probably come back to you. It has some real advantages. The closing bias is one. Glad you like the native. It’s a sloppy slope from here. Welcome and good luck.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Enjoy! Now what’s next? :D
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Could be their best back lock yet (the standard Native I mean). The 5 is great too ;)
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Compression lock is great! Also consider a Manix2, if you like the axis lock and can deal with a stiffer pull you’ll love a Manix2! Action just as smooth but without the blade play. Much more solid feel too.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
jaypuck

Post by jaypuck »

I think the Manix2 may be a bit on the big side for me. The Native 5 is pretty much the perfect size as far as I'm concerned, and I think the Para 3 is the closest to it size wise that has something other than the lock back, no?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I second the manix 2! I love mine (G10 with s30v). The ball bearing lock is superb. You can flick the blade with your thumb (I can't seem to do the middle finger flick, yet!), pull the bearing lock and flick your wrist... And it's solid! The lightweight is a great knife too, but very weird to me (at first). Carry it, use it, and you come to appreciate its lightness, and learn the balance. The lightweight manix is weighted more towards the blade, and the normal is towards the handle... Just takes getting used to.

Can't wait for my para 3 lightweight!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spyderco lockbacks get considerably smoother with time. Cycle the action at red lights for the next month and you'll notice a massive difference. Putting a drop of mineral oil in the pivot if its dry there will help too.

As for closing one handed, it is very, very easy to close using the first method I show in this video:

https://streamable.com/gfhxo

If your blade doesn't fall shut like that one, just give it a little downwards shake.

I always use the second method shown in the video, using my index finger to swing the blade shut. Keeping my index finger there removes any chance of the blade swinging into my other fingers before I can adjust my grip. With practice this is, IMO, the quickest way to close a Spyderco lockback. I use that method every day.
:unicorn
jaypuck

Post by jaypuck »

Thanks Vivi, mine definitely does not drop like that. It is getting better, so I'm sure by the time I play with it for awhile and maybe put some mineral oil on like you said it will help. It is definitely dry, I hadn't noticed it, but I was playing with it while the wife and I were watching TV and she said "Why does it squeak when you close it?" Once she pointed it out, I could hear it.
carrot

Post by carrot »

jaypuck wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:13 pm
Thanks Vivi, mine definitely does not drop like that. It is getting better, so I'm sure by the time I play with it for awhile and maybe put some mineral oil on like you said it will help. It is definitely dry, I hadn't noticed it, but I was playing with it while the wife and I were watching TV and she said "Why does it squeak when you close it?" Once she pointed it out, I could hear it.
It may need some oil and more openings but you can also give it a bit of a wrist flick to get the blade closed. Many Spydercos need some use before they get buttery smooth.

Sometimes I close the knife with my index finger in the Spyderhole and thumb on the lock bar. This also is fun to do one-handed besides the flick.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Check out the video here, a few closing tricks are shown including the index finger one at 30 seconds

https://youtu.be/LbmLhzeIwiI
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

jaypuck wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:32 pm
You guys may have seen my earlier post asking why you all liked Spyderco knives. Well, I got a lot of great responses and several points were brought up by almost everyone that responded. That, plus some independent reading I did about the company convinced me to give one a try. My Native 5 (in G10) was delivered while I was at work today, so I was anxiously awaiting quitting time so I could rush home and check it out.

Before I even pulled it out of the plastic, I could tell this was a SOLID knife. It's not heavy, but it feels really well built even compared to my current EDC which is a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. In addition to my first Spyderco, this is also my first knife with G10, and let me just say: Wow. I LOVE the feel of the G10 on this thing. It's grippy without being coarse. The pocket clip seems like it has a good amount of tension without being too tight. I haven't actually put it in my pocket yet but at first glance the clip will be fine.

THEN, I opened the blade. It *snapped* into place with authority. There is absolutely no doubt that this is a solid lock up. I've read and heard quite a bit about how smooth Spydercos are, and it could be the fact that this one sat out in the cold all day, or it may need loosened up just a tiny bit, because it seems a little rough to me. I'm sure I'll spend the next few days playing with it, and it might get better.

The ergonomics are great. It fits in my relatively small hands comfortably and naturally. The jimping on the spine and choil are well executed and feel good, the clip doesn't pinch when I'm gripping the knife and it's just plain fun to hold. If you hold the blade in one hand in what seems like a rather natural way to try to close it, when the blade falls the finger on front is lined up with the choil, so you don't get cut. I don't know if that's by design or a happy accident, but either way it's appreciated since if that wasn't the case, I'd be wearing a band aid for a few days.

The blade is extremely sharp. It's easily the sharpest knife I've ever owned out of the box. It glides through paper (it's first task was opening a bill, being an adult sucks, huh?) like it's not even there.

So far my only complaint is with the locking mechanism. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, I've just been spoiled by the Axis lock and liner locks, this one is a bit more difficult to close one handed without using my hip or something to get the blade lowered enough to grab the spidey hole and close it the rest of the way. (Speaking of the spidey hole: I used to think it was dumb, but now I totally get it, it's awesome).

It's early to tell, but... I don't think the Native 5 will become my new go to EDC knife. However! I think my biggest complaints about it would be addressed by getting something with a different locking mechanism sooooo, I think I'll be getting a Para 3 in the very near future!

Thank all of you, and thanks Sal for making an awesome knife. I may not be a total convert yet, but I get why all of you are so loyal to the brand.
Try this: Press the lock with your thumb, while having your index finger in the hole a little. Glide the blade down with that finger or shift over and let the thumb either guide it down with thumb in the hole, or placed on the spine and snapping it closed. It is very fast and easy to do on a Spyderco back lock.

BTW, a back lock is not going to fall free and feel that smooth compared to an axis lock or a compression lock. It is stronger, however. If it feels gritty, it may simply need cleaning and oiling.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, and enjoy your knife/knives. I just got the G10 Native and love it. Of course, I love back locks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

You might want to loosen the pivot just the slightest bit. Sometimes it just needs the tiniest adjustment to get it perfect.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Welcome, enjoy, and definitely get the Para3!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

If your knife has G10 than it should have phosphor bronze washers. They'll self polish as time goes by.
You may want to get some thin lube into the pivot.
I don't know how stiff a native is out of the box but i learned after the chaparral the risk of a dry pivot
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:00 am
You might want to loosen the pivot just the slightest bit. Sometimes it just needs the tiniest adjustment to get it perfect.
If you are going to put tools to your new knife, read up before you do. Have to get good bits and put some heat to it. Would hate for you to strip the screws on something brand new. Don’t think you need to, it should break in. A little mineral oil would help too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never used heat on any screw on any knife in my life.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:15 pm
I've never used heat on any screw on any knife in my life.
Same. I'm permanent thread locker's worst nightmare.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jaypuck wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:31 pm
I think the Manix2 may be a bit on the big side for me. The Native 5 is pretty much the perfect size as far as I'm concerned, and I think the Para 3 is the closest to it size wise that has something other than the lock back, no?
If you want a Native with a different lock, I'd say the Sage 5 is pretty close.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com