When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal or anyone, are there any estimates or ideas for when we will see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight folder with VG10 blade, FRN grip, and wire clip?

How do you think the world of knife users and collectors will react and respond to this wonderful thing?
holeshot

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Post by holeshot »

Heck yeah! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’d guess with the new reveal program you won’t see it anytime before the next 6 months.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Yes please!
BD1N or LC200N please! With sprint runs down the road with Rex, Cru, etc.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

So the Caly 3 and 3.5 are thin enough that G10 I think works well, but FRN does have its advantages and would probably be popular.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Yes please and thank you! I'd love a linerless G10 option but something like a UKPK/Caly 3.5 hybrid would be fantastic especially if we could see some sprints/exclusives.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm
Yes please and thank you! I'd love a linerless G10 option but something like a UKPK/Caly 3.5 hybrid would be fantastic especially if we could see some sprints/exclusives.
Since we discussed that in another thread: Could you measure the length of the actual grip area on the handle behind the choil (if you find the time)?
If it is long enough to offer a good four finger grip, I´d really like to see a Caly 3.5 LW: Short closed length compared to the amount of edge you get, backlock, FRN (on a possible LW), thin (3mm) leaf shape blade (and by that rather fine but still strong tip)... would tick a lot of boxes for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm
thewoodpecker wrote:
Since we discussed that in another thread: Could you measure the length of the actual grip area on the handle behind the choil (if you find the time)?
If it is long enough to offer a good four finger grip, I´d really like to see a Caly 3.5 LW: Short closed length compared to the amount of edge you get, backlock, FRN (on a possible LW), thin (3mm) leaf shape blade (and by that rather fine but still strong tip)... would tick a lot of boxes for me.
Luckily I have my 3.5 and ruler close at hand. The grip area from point-to-point (i.e.behind the choil) is almost exactly 3.25".
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm
thewoodpecker wrote:
Luckily I have my 3.5 and ruler close at hand. The grip area from point-to-point (i.e.behind the choil) is almost exactly 3.25".

Thanks, that´s very kind of you!

Could be a tad too short for me... my Stretch 1 offers 3.7 " behind the choil, almost the exact same length as the Delica offers (whole grip area on the handle). When I grab Stretch 1 or Delica, there is just a very little amount of handle not covered by my hand at the rear end, so I´d have to try the Caly 3.5
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

The Stretch has the same blade length with longer grip area (sans choil) so if you're in need of a longer handle the Stretch might be the way to go. For me the ergos on the Caly 3.5 are perfect and it is tough to beat in terms of blade:handle ratio...even beats out the Kapara.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 pm
The Stretch has the same blade length with longer grip area (sans choil) so if you're in need of a longer handle the Stretch might be the way to go. For me the ergos on the Caly 3.5 are perfect and it is tough to beat in terms of blade:handle ratio...even beats out the Kapara.
Ditto.