Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: Ikuchi

Post by Bdubs808 »

^no Stairway To Heaven
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Has anyone with big hands tried the Ikuchi? How was it?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm
Has anyone with big hands tried the Ikuchi? How was it?
I wear a size L, sometimes XL, glove and found the ergonomics of the Ikuchi prototype fine.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

paulwa wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm
As for the edge exposure at the spine when closed, we are definitely walking a fine line with that feature, balancing slim aesthetics with capable blade geometry; but I think we did a nice job with that trade-off. The relatively thin blade stock and thin washers help make the allowed access between the liners as limited as possible. We also made sure there was clearance where needed to avoid any unintended edge contact. I couldn’t cut myself accidentally on it whether in pocket, out of pocket, or in between, and I was trying a few things that in normal use, I would consider ‘unreasonable’ or ‘ill conceived’ (to be polite). .......
- Paul
Hi Paul,
I had a question for you. If you are choked up all the way on the handle and you disengage the lock, will the blade contact your finger if you close the knife? Or will the flipper wheel hit your finger first? Hard to tell from the video and pics I've seen. Would you mind posting a picture if you can?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Elderberry

Post by Elderberry »

ENDORSED!

THIS IS THE EDC I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:26 pm
paulwa wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm
As for the edge exposure at the spine when closed, we are definitely walking a fine line with that feature, balancing slim aesthetics with capable blade geometry; but I think we did a nice job with that trade-off. The relatively thin blade stock and thin washers help make the allowed access between the liners as limited as possible. We also made sure there was clearance where needed to avoid any unintended edge contact. I couldn’t cut myself accidentally on it whether in pocket, out of pocket, or in between, and I was trying a few things that in normal use, I would consider ‘unreasonable’ or ‘ill conceived’ (to be polite). .......
- Paul
Hi Paul,
I had a question for you. If you are choked up all the way on the handle and you disengage the lock, will the blade contact your finger if you close the knife? Or will the flipper wheel hit your finger first? Hard to tell from the video and pics I've seen. Would you mind posting a picture if you can?
OK, I read this two different ways, so I’m just going to address both possible scenarios I envision you could be describing:

It would be hard to disengage the lock while chocked-up, but the wheel WILL NOT interfere with actuation of the compression lock. That was one of the design features we were going for. Not the potential closing on the hand part... but keeping flipping and unlocking as completely separate functions. The entire wheel flipper rotates through an area forward of the locking pin, and the lock bar access is reward of the lock pin, so there’s no real chance for interference when opening or closing. And, the blade edge goes almost all the way to the leading end of the handle.
So yes, if you manage to unlock it while your fingers are still wrapped around the full knife, even if one is far forward, the edge WILL make contact with that foremost finger as it tries to nest within the liners. It’s best to just keep fingers out of the blade path.

If you are asking about the edge contacting the finger that is on the lock bar... the wheel doesn’t interfere or provide any ancillary protection for this finger. I couldn’t cut myself flinging the blade closed while depressing the lock bar, but I would say use caution when trying this yourself until you get a feel for the knife. (Mostly because grips and finger dimensions can vary greatly.)

Sorry I can’t post any pics of this, I don’t currently have a production mock-up to illustrate it properly.

- Paul
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

paulwa wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm

OK, I read this two different ways, so I’m just going to address both possible scenarios I envision you could be describing:

It would be hard to disengage the lock while chocked-up, but the wheel WILL NOT interfere with actuation of the compression lock. That was one of the design features we were going for. Not the potential closing on the hand part... but keeping flipping and unlocking as completely separate functions. The entire wheel flipper rotates through an area forward of the locking pin, and the lock bar access is reward of the lock pin, so there’s no real chance for interference when opening or closing. And, the blade edge goes almost all the way to the leading end of the handle.
So yes, if you manage to unlock it while your fingers are still wrapped around the full knife, even if one is far forward, the edge WILL make contact with that foremost finger as it tries to nest within the liners. It’s best to just keep fingers out of the blade path.

If you are asking about the edge contacting the finger that is on the lock bar... the wheel doesn’t interfere or provide any ancillary protection for this finger. I couldn’t cut myself flinging the blade closed while depressing the lock bar, but I would say use caution when trying this yourself until you get a feel for the knife. (Mostly because grips and finger dimensions can vary greatly.)

Sorry I can’t post any pics of this, I don’t currently have a production mock-up to illustrate it properly.

- Paul
Thanks for the response Paul! That answered my question.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm
paulwa wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm

- Paul
Thanks for the response Paul! That answered my question.
Mine too, which was originally ZrowsN1s'.
Justin
yalel

Post by yalel »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am
So let's talk about the practical uses for this knife other than it being a flipper which is my old man version of a fidget spinner.

Blade shape and ergonomics: Fancy letter-opener? Obviously, it's going to be a wicked slicer, but clearly, it is not meant for hard use. Gentlemen's folder? Since it's only going to see light use, this one's a candidate for a 5-10 degree (10-20 inclusive) bevel.

I can see slipping this in my black suit with a white collar for funerals, but if anyone sees the pastor pull out this blade I'm liable to have more than one funeral to perform from the heart-attacks it will induce!

Thoughts?
Thanks for being able to be part of this forum. I am new and from Europe. avid hunter and carrying a knife that I use for nearly all occasions ( opening a carton box till cleaning game ) since I was a kid. Always on the look for the holy grale and just that could be close with this Ikuchi
I do see this a lillte different than the quoted poster in my kind of use. I do a bit of small game cleaning ( rabbits, hare, ducks ) and for this kind of job I have been looking out a while already for a thin stock pocket knife with a reasobale sized handle. THIN < THIN < THIN.... blade is the word and is hard to find. I really hope that with the Ikuchie this will be the end of the search. Slicing like a scalpel is what I appreciate but can hardly find in 99.9 % of the 3 mm and up blades that seems to be the sweet spot. I really doubt if 2-2,5 mm would not be better for most of these knives . ( in case used as intended and not as an axe or hammer !)
My 2 cents on the expectations for the Ikuchi. Hope it fits the bill in real life though.. Any alternatives for my needs as just described very welcome of course...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum yalel!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hi Yalel, welcome.
If you are looking for a thin blade with a decent handle you might check out the Endura as well.

yalel

Post by yalel »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 pm
Hi Yalel, welcome.
If you are looking for a thin blade with a decent handle you might check out the Endura as well.
Thanks a lot for yr. Suggestion. I thought the Endura is 3mm . The Delica is 2.5 and closer to my liking. Also a Benchmade Dugout or a mini Griptilian would be in the same zone asa far as blade thickness is concerned. These 3 inclding the Ikuchi are as far as I know the pocket knives with nice thin blades
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Hi Yalel, welcome.

Or the Kapara.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

yalel wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks for being able to be part of this forum. I am new and from Europe. avid hunter and carrying a knife that I use for nearly all occasions ( opening a carton box till cleaning game ) since I was a kid. Always on the look for the holy grale and just that could be close with this Ikuchi
I do see this a lillte different than the quoted poster in my kind of use. I do a bit of small game cleaning ( rabbits, hare, ducks ) and for this kind of job I have been looking out a while already for a thin stock pocket knife with a reasobale sized handle. THIN < THIN < THIN.... blade is the word and is hard to find. I really hope that with the Ikuchie this will be the end of the search. Slicing like a scalpel is what I appreciate but can hardly find in 99.9 % of the 3 mm and up blades that seems to be the sweet spot. I really doubt if 2-2,5 mm would not be better for most of these knives . ( in case used as intended and not as an axe or hammer !)
My 2 cents on the expectations for the Ikuchi. Hope it fits the bill in real life though.. Any alternatives for my needs as just described very welcome of course...
You may also want to look at the "JD Smith" sprint run (flat grind and G10 scales in foliage green). Though discontinued, they pop up on eBay quite often and at reasonable prices. The blade shape may be of interest to you. Blade stock is 3mm but you can re-profile the edge to cut like a razor like I did to mine.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

yalel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Hi Yalel, welcome.
Thanks a lot for yr. Suggestion. I thought the Endura is 3mm . The Delica is 2.5 and closer to my liking. Also a Benchmade Dugout or a mini Griptilian would be in the same zone asa far as blade thickness is concerned. These 3 inclding the Ikuchi are as far as I know the pocket knives with nice thin blades
Regarding thin blades, there’s also the Chaparral (0.08 inches thick) and the TRM Neutron (0.09 inches).
Jim
Lobsterco

CRKT CEO

Post by Lobsterco »

This may not apply to anyone else but me. I have a problem. If I spent over a certain amount on a knife (say, about $70 or higher) then I find myself not wanting to really use it, for fear of dulling/damaging it. I'll carry it, but when it comes time to do some cutting, I'll dig through my EDC bag and pull out cheaper knife. So, as much as I want the Ikuchi, I know it would just be destined to be a "pocket queen".

Instead I bought a $35 CRKT Ceo. If you blur your eyes enough, the overall shape is similar to the Ikuchi. Obviously it doesn't have that fun flipper-dial, though the thumb-stud/ball-bearing opening combo is challenging enough to be fun. But it's less than 1/4 the price! I'm sure everyone here but me will get an Ikuchi, and I am in no way saying that the CEO is a worthy replacement. I'm simply weird and like to use the knives I carry, so if you're like me, you might get a kick out of the CEO. Coincidentally, both knives are ~2 oz.

If the designer of the Ikuchi reads this, I'd love to buy a knife with a flipper-dial at the ~$60 price point, it doesn't need to be as gorgeous as the Ikuchi just relatively light and fun.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Welcome to the forums!

The CEO does look good. However, if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, :D I'd recommend the following:

Spend the funds you'd put towards the next CRKT towards a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

You may find that you're willing to use your knives more if you have a very easy way of returning them to hair-whittling sharpness on your own :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I didn't notice until recently that the blade thickness on the Ikuchi is 2.5 mm. A thin pointy blade shape with the edge length of a Stretch 1, and the blade thickness of a Delica! Makes me look forward to it even more.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Lobsterco!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Lobsterco

Post by Lobsterco »

Thanks everyone! My lust for the Ikuchi brought me here. The addiction has begun. I currently only own 4 folders. We'll see where I'm at in a year or so :) Since I currently have your attention, what do you think: Chaparral, Para 3 LW, or Dragonfly 2?

To the CurlyHairedFella: It's not just about dulling the knives. My buddy has promised me his old Lansky system next time we hang out, so restoring an edge won't be much of an issue. I currently play with a combination of a single whetstone that my dad bought 30 years ago and a $20 diamond steel I got a the knife store at the mall, utilizing techniques culled from YouTube videos. However, I have this weird psychological issue where I enjoy things far more if they're a) a bargain and b) already broken in. I've never owned a new car or motorcycle. If I can get something that's nearly new on eBay, then I don't feel bad when I really beat on it. I'd be thrilled to get a "B" condition Ikuchi used on a forum or eBay for $80. I'd use it daily and not fear it dropping out of my pocket. But at $130, I'll just ogle and fidget with it. And it's not that money is so tight that I can't afford a $130 Ikuchi pre-order. I'm eccentric, despite trying very hard not to be.