Sell me on a byrd

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Sell me on a byrd

Post by apollo »

first of all it is good to see the forum is still a safe heaven for all the spydernuts.
I have bin away for a little less then 2 years now. ( time is a strange thing )
Honestly the feelings i had when i left the knife world in 2016 where not the best.

At a point i wanted to sell all my spyders and i am glad my girlfriend said i was a mad man if i would do such a thing.
At the time i was very frustrated. I was a pretty serious spydernut collecting the nirvana, rubicon , the Tuff, k2, a bunch of manixes (14 :o ),a few custom pimped pm2's , ...
But somehow after buying those expensive knives the feeling of joy went away.
Yes they are beautyfull yes they are pieces of art but they do not feel like knives anymore.
I wanted to have the feeling i had when i bought a delica 4 for 50 euro and took it everywhere with me for 4 years! Not this o no i do not want to scratch it crap.
And so my passion Died.

Unthil a few weeks ago i was packing boxes for the big move. (Bought a house)
And i was packing all my spyders and used my trusty old mini manix 1 for every thing that needed cutting.
Now the feeling is sparking back to life again. But it is still Weak so i want to buy a new toy but one that will not putt me back in frustration.
So i wonder can someone recomend me a byrd that is so good it can make me feel the way i felt with the delica again?
( imo another delica is not an option i do not give a 105 euro for a knife that is made to cost less then half in the US only thinking about it already pisses me off :o :D )
holeshot

Re: Sell me on a byrd

Post by holeshot »

First, welcome back and I sure hope you marry your girlfriend she sounds like a keeper to me. :D Take a hard look at the Cara Cara 2 G10. For a long time I wanted a G10 Endura and this was the next best thing. Spyderco has managed to get the best out of 8Cr13MoV blade steel. I also have a Crossbill and love it.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The G10 Cara Cara 2 is a good choice. Really, any of the G10 models are a great value for a user. The Meadowlark 2 is closer to a Delica in size. 8Cr isn't a high end super steel, but it works well and sharpens easily.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Apollo,

Welcome back and I'm sorry for your bad experience.

The knife world is a funny place and most tend to stay in or near the world for one reason or another. I think it might be some inherent "thing" that ties to our origins.

At this time, there are many "markets" or "ELU's" that Spyderco serves. Many are mostly functional, at least most of my designs. Many are more "art" pieces created by custom collaborators for those in the world that like those pieces. Most of our pieces will appreciate in value in time, especially those designs created as "art" or "craft". Some of our knives like the Nirvana are a feat just to be able to make a production run. The difficulty is beyond the scope of most, but we know, and the designer knows, and some of our customers know, like you.

We make knives for the salt water world, completely different set of problems. But as usual, we extend our best effort to provide that group with the best possible performers.

We make some weapons for law enforcement or military, again, function first.

Pardon the rant. The byrd's are in my opinion the best you can get for the money. Designs are mostly mine and Eric's. Comfortable, ergonomic, good cutters, safe to use. Exceptional quality for the cost. We make them in China, but they are all inspected in Golden. China just has a very weak Yuan, which offers good value. And they are just now coming out in FRN with colors. Buy a byrd of a size that is comfortable for you and carry it for 30 days and if you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you. The Meadowlark is one of the most popular.

We might be able to renew your passion in the edge?

sal
apollo

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 pm
Hi Apollo,

The knife world is a funny place and most tend to stay in or near the world for one reason or another. I think it might be some inherent "thing" that ties to our origins.

At this time, there are many "markets" or "ELU's" that Spyderco serves. Many are mostly functional, at least most of my designs. Many are more "art" pieces created by custom collaborators for those in the world that like those pieces. Most of our pieces will appreciate in value in time, especially those designs created as "art" or "craft". Some of our knives like the Nirvana are a feat just to be able to make a production run. The difficulty is beyond the scope of most, but we know, and the designer knows, and some of our customers know, like you.

We make knives for the salt water world, completely different set of problems. But as usual, we extend our best effort to provide that group with the best possible performers.

Pardon the rant. The byrd's are in my opinion the best you can get for the money. Designs are mostly mine and Eric's. Comfortable, ergonomic, good cutters, safe to use. Exceptional quality for the cost. We make them in China, but they are all inspected in Golden. China just has a very weak Yuan, which offers good value. And they are just now coming out in FRN with colors. Buy a byrd of a size that is comfortable for you and carry it for 30 days and if you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you. The Meadowlark is one of the most popular.

sal
Hi Sal.

Thanks for the kind words. As always you are an inspiration. I was lucky enough to meet you in person a few amsterdam meets ago. I even have a ss Atr that has a box with youre signature on it.

I can say i went trough a time of stupidity .
When you love something so much and at some point in youre life youre not able to mentaly do it anymore you become very sad and angry inside.

At that moment it is easy to point fingers at the possible reasons that created it. That is why i went away for so long. You Sal and Eric and everybody at spyderco are powerless from the moment on the knives leave golden. The bad things happen after that. Sellers across the world look at spyderco and see a dream come true a brand so strong that has fans so loyal they can get rich without even having to break a sweat. They all sell spyders for msrp + 30/40 % extra so i hope someday karma is going to be hard on them.

And i regret it took me so long to know all of this. So sorry Sal that i lost my way.

When it comes to the knife i am looking for i would love it to be g10 but a cara cara or meadowlark are not an option where i live you only find the frn versions and frn is great but i like a little more weight in my knives. I do find the raven2 interesting. Can anybody tell me more about that one? I still find it strange that all over the web there are bucketloads of reviews about spyderco's but only few about byrds.

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome back :)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Welcome back-
Can I suggest checking out the crow 2- I’ve just had one arrive and so far am very impressed— well except for the plastic washers but ergos are spot on for me-
Has a sharpening choil and value is awesome
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Apollo,\

The Raven 2 is one of my designs, now made with a US steel (CTS-BD1). The maker did a great job. I liked the result so much that I then designed the Polestar as a Spyderco which is based on the Raven 2, but without a finger choil.

I lose my way more than I'd care to admit. Life is a journey, constantly changing, constantly learning.

sal
apollo

Post by apollo »

Thanks daveho the crow past my mind also.
It is a hard nut to crack. The little brother is big enough for my needs. On the otherhand the bigger brother is never going to be to short...

Hi Sal.
Thanks again for giving me a little bit of youre time.
The polestar is also a knife i think that will be in the back of my mind for a while before i pick it up. I love the work you did on it. I hope there will be many more following in its footprints in the future. I always liked youre designs and erics more then any other spyderco. I know spyderco needs coloborations to keep the "blood" young. But how beautyfull and good they all are non of them feel the same like the designs you 2 make.
Every designer can make beautyfull knife but only a few can make a spyderco. :)

I think i will begin small and easy with a raven. And let it grow my passion ones more.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Today the raven 2 arrived.
The fit and finish are remarkable. If i remember correctly they are even a bit better then the tenacious i had years ago.
Opening is very smooth. The centering of the blade is perfect and the edge is a typical spyderco sharpness out of the box.
The only thing out of the box i can say that is a bit less perfect but still good is the position of the linerlock.
It is about 55% so still way good withing the range it should be but i do Find a 45% lock a tad better for a new knife.

I will be testing it along side my old gen 1 mini Manix. If i have a little time i will post a review about this knife after i worked it in. :)
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

The biggest point in favor of byrd knives is the design. That affects your experience of a knife at least as much as the manufacturing quality. And given that more companies are doing better manufacturing, the design is what sets byrd apart in the current environment.

People focus a lot on where a knife is manufactured, but not nearly enough on how it is designed. There are a lot of reasonably well manufactured moderately priced knives, but very few that are well designed. They have issues that are going to make people unhappy using those knives. Read some of the notes about the time that goes into developing and refining each byrd/Spyderco design.

Now admittedly all Spyderco knives are designed to emphasize function over form, when necessary. But for those who enjoy using their knives, that makes a knife beautiful to use.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Hi Apollo,

sal
I couldn't agree more.

I have a habit of gifting Cara Caras and Meadowlarks. They all get used. Some even ask me about the knife after they use it and fall in love, and I send them to this website :)

A lot of people these days are, IMO, are bit too hung up on materials. "But this knife has D2 steel and pivot bearings and it's the same price!" Yeah, I'm sure that's D2, and even if it is, the knife has a low saber grind, 25 dps edge, and "ergonomics" that were an accident as much as anything since the overall design is geared towards appearance rather than function. Have fun using a knife that makes your hands hurt every time you break down a cardboard box.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Apollo,

sal
I couldn't agree more.

I have a habit of gifting Cara Caras and Meadowlarks. They all get used. Some even ask me about the knife after they use it and fall in love, and I send them to this website :)

A lot of people these days are, IMO, are bit too hung up on materials. "But this knife has D2 steel and pivot bearings and it's the same price!" Yeah, I'm sure that's D2, and even if it is, the knife has a low saber grind, 25 dps edge, and "ergonomics" that were an accident as much as anything since the overall design is geared towards appearance rather than function. Have fun using a knife that makes your hands hurt every time you break down a cardboard box.
Per usual, I agree with Sal and appreciate him.

And I agree with Vivi about the pop budget knives.
Dubious at best.
You know the Byrds will be good designs becuase they're Sal and Eric designs, many are derivations of classic spydie models.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I EDC the Byrd Tern - if it weren't for the legal issues, I'd still carry my Military - and it has really grown on me. It's light-weight and the ergonomics are spot on; very reminiscent of the Calypso Jr. And most importantly: it cuts. Sure, 8Cr13MoV is a plain Jane steel, along with 440C, Aus-8 etc. but the heat treatment is good, so it holds an edge ok and sharpens up easily, which is what I want in a work knife.

Ookami
PS: IMO, D2 as well as ball-bearings are a bit over-rated. D2 was a decent choice for some applications (eg. where edge retention was more important than extreme sharpness) before it was hyped, which drove the price beyond what an old school tool steel is worth. Ball-bearings are fine and dandy for flipping, but for a serious work knife, I'd avoid them.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

May pick up a black stainless cara cara 2. Not the biggest fan of stainless models but it looks so good. Won't break the bank either.
I agree with everything y'all are saying about budget knives. I'm doubtful about some of those D2 steel labels as well. Especially when some of my more expensive D2 steel models sharpen a bit different than a couple budget ones I've picked up. Can't tell if it is a hear treat difference or what. I'm also not the biggest fan of ball bearings on any knife at any price (own a few I quite like though, especially the Advocate).
8cr isn't that bad. 9cr18mov I think is better. I actually quite like the stuff, but I don't know what the cost difference is between 8cr and 9cr. Bd1 is also great and I'm sure bd1n is too.
I will say I'm not a fan of the frn on the Byrds. It just absolutely did not do it for me and I love frn. But the stainless and g10 options make everything a-okay.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

do it.
I was dissatisfied with the FRN on my Cara Cara, it was fragile and the screws stripped quickly. Now the clip wobbles and the back spring is proud of the scales. :(

I picked this SS Black Cara Cara this Summer (usually not a fan of stainless scales) and I can say I am much more pleased with it than with my other Byrds :cool:

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

They cut, cut, and keep on cutting, are lightweight, durable, resilient, and super knives. You will not be disappointed.
Pyros9

Post by Pyros9 »

I love my SS Crossbills! :D
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.
~Epicurus
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pyros9,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Pyros9

Post by Pyros9 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:45 pm
Hi Pyros9,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks sal!
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.
~Epicurus
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm not really adding anything new here, but I find almost every byrd to feel and perform as solidly as spyderco counterparts, and the designs to be largely a matter of taste. Some of the spyderco equivilent designs I might like better at times (I like choils on most knives). The blade geometry is still good and while they don't hold an edge quite as well, they are easy to sharpen and far better IMO than other blades I've seen in a similar price range.

I have more spydercos than byrds, but I often carry the byrds more lately. For average uses they measure up extremely well and I don't worry about banging them up, though I think they are as tough overall. I don't think you can go wrong with a byrd.