Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Post by wrdwrght »

What I consider “best” changes often, as it should.

I buy Spydies only if I see them beforehand as becoming the best I have. Why do otherwise? I haven’t been burned yet.

So, “the new” (steels, models) always figures in my assessment of the “best” at any given moment. So, too, do reminders on this forum of how good is a Spydie I happen to have. And environment or jurisdiction away from home are factors of moment as well.

At the moment, in no particular order, the “best” are:

Caribbean (PE Leaf)—still largely unremarked here; maybe Sal’s most capable design ever, and most subtle, even with its black and yellow grippy G10; longer edge/shorter blade than a Manix2 XL; handle for big hands; see Lance Clinton’s YouTube video.

Kapara—absolute gem of a collab; a big knife that carries small, thus a big little knife; shallow belly; slicy

Manix2—Eric’s masterpiece, IMHO; first Spydie to capture my actual affection; fits my hand like a glove; can use it hard without thinking twice

Stretch— 1 or 2; unique and especially versatile edge-shape (flattish 2/3 of the way before the pronounced belly begins); FRN especially comfortable in my hand; Sal’s “tough hombre” reference is not casual

Calypso—elegant lines; powerful cutter

Do I carry these ones more often than my Millies, PM2s, Native5s. Not at all. But they, and my Police4 and Shaman, get into the rotation and sometimes will stay in my pocket for a while.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anycal

Post by anycal »

lowcountry wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Although I bought my first Spyderco in 1998, I'm still a newb...

I believe the knives in the first pic are para2. Will you list the models in your second pic? The size arrangement is helpful to me.
Yes, first pic are PM2s.

Second, from top,

Military REX45
PM2 204P
Mantra M4
Caly 3 HAP40
Native 5 M4
Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm
What I consider “best” changes often, as it should.

Caribbean (PE Leaf)—still largely unremarked here; maybe Sal’s most capable design ever, and most subtle, even with its black and yellow grippy G10; longer edge/shorter blade than a Manix2 XL; handle for big hands; see Lance Clinton’s YouTube video.
Never even handled a Caribbean myself, but I have the impression, that not to few on that forum consider it to be one of the best larger Spydercos ever, if not THE best.
What´s kind a funny for me: I initally come from the camp "I want the most cutting edge for the package I carry, so NO choil" and actually came to like choils in many models (not in all, just in really small and than again larger ones) over the years.
Now as far as I see, many people consider the long cutting edge / no choil of the Carribean a plus; that´s somehow a little strange, since the pronounced choil with it´s plus in ergos, but minus in sharpened blade, is kind of a Spyderco trademark...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My personal Top 5 Spydercos (I only include models I have actually handled myself, not ones I just think I´d like):

Stretch 1 FRN (ideally in HAP 40, but the VG 10 model is not far behind for me): Most versatile bladeshape I´ve ever experienced in any knife when it comes to daily EDC use. Very good ergos; edge exactly as long as I want it in normal use (so not TOO long, but long enough for food prep on the road)

Endura 4 FFG (again, favorite HAP 40, but VG 10 is really not a bad steel too): Though many with larger hands don´t like the finger grooves, for me (L to XL hands) they are just right somehow. Again, perfect edge-length; hand very close to the edge in a regular grip; slim carry

Chaparral FRN: Perfect for days when you actually DON`T want to carry a knife in the pocket; Very slim, still feeling solid, great slicer; perfect for IWB in shorts when running or unclipped in zippered pockets; great backlock (as good as the Native lock imho); design ingenious both in function and looks. small enough that a choil really makes sense for bigger hands to get a full four finger grip.

Shaman: Still do not own one, handled (and once carried a borrowd one) one several times. For me the best ergos of any Spyderco I ever held in hands (even better then the Manix) both in regular and choked up grip, probably especially for bigger hands. Cuts great despite the thick blade; Though heavy and large, it carries amazingly well. The kind of knife I do not NEED by all it´s specs but still really, really want to have and use.

PM 2: Zatx recently gifted one to me (see my post in "kindness of your hearts"), I like it way more than I expected; The ergos are more similar to the Stretch one than I figured, the handle seems to be made right for my hand. So much, that I wonder how people with larger hands than mine can like that knife; for me it fits like a glove, just 1 mm smaller and the handle would be too short probably;
PM 2 also made me like the comp lock, though I still prefer a good backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

GB1 is my top pick ( that good it gets a gap between 2nd )

Pacific Salt at 2nd spot ( sheer use in salt water, I have had at least 2 on my boat for years )
PM2 and para3 share 3rd spot ( same same but different really )
Delica and Endura share 4th ( any Delica or endura is a great knife )
Pingo at 5th ( travel most places in the world without issue, non scary in public )

Im a user of all my Spyderco Knives so a different perspective. ( showing or collection is not my game living in northern Australia )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

1. Military
2. Stretch 1 & 2
3. Hundred Pacer
4. Spydiechef
5. Lionspy full sized
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

1. Delica
2. Native 5
3. Caly 3
4. Para Military
5. Military

But who can own just 5?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

"Best" can mean many things. Being difficult also gets me to highlight 15 knives rather than just 5 ;-)

My top 5 "best" in terms of what I carry would be :
Memory
Delica with aftermarket scales
UKPK with aftermarket scales
Caly 3
modified Native 5 (fluted CF/ S90V)

Top 5 "best" in terms of my admiration for Spyderco's engineering, design or "built it 'cos we can"
Janisong
Poliwog
Scorpius
S
Bi-fold (unfortunately don't own one)

Top 5 "best" Spyderco's for specific tasks
Enuff Salt - my diving and whitewater knife (attached to BC or PFD)
Rescue - emergency knife in my car that hopefully I'll never need
Tusk - just such a cool marine knife, not that I get on the sea often any more
Tasman Salt - perfect gardening knife
Ladybug (serrated) - brilliant companion knife to compliment a larger plain edge knife
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

1) Police 4
2) Endura 4
3) Military
4) Para Military 2
5) Native 5 LW
Holland

Post by Holland »

1. Delica
2. Dragonfly
3. Mantra 1
4. Junction
5. Stretch
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

PSquared wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 am
Top 5 "best" Spyderco's for specific tasks
Enuff Salt - my diving and whitewater knife (attached to BC or PFD)
The Enuff salt is absolutely perfect for very specific applications. It's exactly right for those jobs. It's a fantastic tool, perfectly suited to it's intended role.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am going to shamelessly bump this thread. I never responded to it earlier and it only lived for a couple days before. Curious if we will get any other interesting additions?

My list goes like this:

SpydieChef: This was my gateway drug to Spyderco folders. The uniqueness and kitchen utility of the knife really sold me. The F&F, ergos, looks, feel, action, performance are all top notch! Framelocks are not a favorite, but in this application it really excels.

Shaman: This was the knife that got me really paying attention to Spyderco folders again after not really paying them much attention. The Cruwear Micarta variant is really outstanding, although my "base model" Shaman has a stronger detent, which i prefer. Currently these are my only comp lock knives.

Stretch 2: This knife has exceptional ergos for me. The V-Toku 2 is a very fun steel, with its amazing sharpening response and fine edge capabilities.

Native 5: I couldn't pick between the Native Salt and the KC Cruwear exclusive, so i included both. They are both outstanding.

Native Chief: This bad boy is my pointiest knife and is an amazing slicer. While I want a Cruwear and LC200n Chief, I couldn't wait for a sprint and bought this guy as soon as it was available!

What y'all got?
IMAG3690.jpg
Edited to add: It's been a big year for my Spyder fever! So many cool knives.
Last edited by Enactive on Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Let me throw my opinion in the pot.

1. Slysz Bowie. I don't just think this because of all the Nick Shabazz reps. It was a superb knife. I love mine.

2. Native 5. Either g10 or the lightweight. Great edc and I love a good spearpoint.

3. Delica 4 Wharncliffe SE. Best serrated knife I've owned.

4. Military. Sick knife. Best linerlock I've had on a knife. Only thing I would change would be to grind it a lil thinner.

5. Spydiechef. Just works great. Didn't think it would but it's awesome. Slim, great steel, ergonomic. Mine has a few issues but I won't give it up until the issues get warrantiable.

Honorable mention is the Sage 4. Oh man do I want one. I played around with it and it was great. But the store wanted a lot for it because it had been discontinued for awhile. I really believe if I owned it, it would be at the top of my list.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

1) Autonomy 2 ( I own 2)
2) Mini Jess Horn (I own 3)
3) Yojimbo 2 (I own several. I like the G10 better than the peel ply CF S90 V functionally)
4) Ronin 1 (I own many and they are the perfect fixed MBC knife IMO)
Humbbaby

Post by Humbbaby »

Spydiechef
Military
Kapara
Southard
Gayle Bradley (advocate, gb1,gb2.)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tough to choose just 5, but here are my current favorites I tend to gravitate to

1. Cruwear Micarta Shaman - large EDC
2. Cruwear Delica - medium EDC
3. Chap LW - medium-small EDC
4. H1 SE Pacific Salt - yard/beach large EDC
5. H1 PE Dragonfly - beach/pool small EDC

Honorable mention: H1 SE Spyderhawk - this one is more task-specific (yard work mainly), but for those tasks there is no equal
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

It’s all subjective. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:15 pm
It’s all subjective. :)
Nice assortment, Alex!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bloke, you are a truly a man after my own heart.

Where's the Bow River, though?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

1. manix 2 - lw or g10 with liners are both great. this is the most comfortable knife i’ve ever held and it’s got a great blade shape to match. it’s a brilliant design. if there was a salt version in lc200n, it would take all five positions. a comp lock version might be fun too.
2. pacific salt - as someone that spends a lot of time in the ocean, this is a must for me. it’s light and long and i trust the spyderedge to deal with anything i might need it for in the water.
3. yojimbo 2 - super cool knife with a lot of thought in the design. i sometimes wish the handle was nicer in the hand and the knife was better in the pocket, but then it wouldn’t be what it is.
4. native salt - if i could only suggest one knife to someone and corrosion resistance was important, this would be it. i carry this when i only carry one knife.
5. probably the lil native or the caribbean, but not in their current forms. the lil native needs jimping and would be awesome in dlc lc200n with full liners, g10, and a comp lock. i’d like the caribbean with a handle redesign similar to the manix 2, where the end narrows to allow more clearance into the pocket. a different color/look would be nice too, but that’s not a dealbreaker for me. i’d also love an enuff salt with pe lc200n and clip or leaf blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C