Customer Service Response Time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderSeth

Customer Service Response Time

Post by SpyderSeth »

What has been your experience in getting email responses from customer service? Going on 3 days without a response. Am I being impatient?
SG89

Re: Customer Service Response Time

Post by SG89 »

I've heard calling them is more efficient than email
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:56 pm
I've heard calling them is more efficient than email
I'll probably call tomorrow. I had called before sending my knife in and did not get a very warm reception. Not sure if they guy was having a bad day or what, but he probably should not have been answering the phones that day. I thought I would try the email route as it was a straight-forward question.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hope it works out for you :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

I called once for a clip....went smoothly. Everyone has a bad day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just my personal experience: Contacted them two different times per mail for clip / screws, went very well and in a reasonable time (correspondence and shipping to Europe).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Send Kristi a message here on the forums, she'll get to the bottom of it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I always call because depending on what events are going on people may be out of the building traveling. I believe I've had 3-4 interactions with them and they've all gone smoothly. I've never emailed though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm
What has been your experience in getting email responses from customer service? Going on 3 days without a response. Am I being impatient?
Hey, SpyderSeth:
I checked with W&R and they're caught up on e-mail. I'm not sure which e-mail address you sent your message to but it would seem that your e-mail wasn't received - at least not by W&R. The best e-mail for W&R is customerservice@spyderco.com or as suggested, you can also give them a call 800-525-7770 x 255). Our turnaround time in W&R is currently 4-6 weeks from receiving your knife and they don't typically contact you unless there is an issue (this is due to the volume they handle with a small staff of two people). Once your knife is shipped home you will receive an e-mail with tracking information. I hope this information helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:09 am
SpyderSeth wrote:
Hey, SpyderSeth:
I checked with W&R and they're caught up on e-mail. I'm not sure which e-mail address you sent your message to but it would seem that your e-mail wasn't received - at least not by W&R. The best e-mail for W&R is customerservice@spyderco.com or as suggested, you can also give them a call 800-525-7770 x 255). Our turnaround time in W&R is currently 4-6 weeks from receiving your knife and they don't typically contact you unless there is an issue (this is due to the volume they handle with a small staff of two people). Once your knife is shipped home you will receive an e-mail with tracking information. I hope this information helps.

Kristi
I find it hard to believe the email was not delivered. I have sent another.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am
TazKristi wrote:
SpyderSeth wrote:
Hey, SpyderSeth:

Kristi
I find it hard to believe the email was not delivered. I have sent another.
Hi, SpyderSeth:
W&R just called me to let me know that they just received the e-mail you sent per your post above. Since they now have your e-mail address and name, they did verify that the e-mail received this morning was the only e-mail received. E-mail and various forms of technology are fantastic but they are not always all they are cracked up to be. If you've never experienced a lost e-mail, then you've been fortunate for sure.

As I mentioned above, they don't usually confirm receipt and that's part of why we always suggest shipping via a trackable carrier. As your tracking information showed per your e-mail, your knife was received and is going through the process in W&R. Once it's done, W&R will e-mail you to confirm your address to ship it back home. Then once it's shipped, you'll receive tracking information via e-mail. Please note, in the interest of time, this post from me replaces a reply from W&R. Thanks much.

Kristi
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

TazKristi wrote:
SpyderSeth wrote:
Hey, SpyderSeth:

Kristi
It would seem to me if there is enough W&R work for 6 WEEKS.......and only 2 people.......maybe, they should hire more workers to reduce wait time for loyal customers. Turnaround time is too long for such a small company.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Turn around time is “currently 4 to 6 weeks”. This obviously varies and at times may be less than four weeks. From previous discussions I suspect that a great deal of W&R work is caught up in dealing with knives sent for warranty repair that have been damaged by the user involving more time to communicate to the user about options and slowing the process for everyone else.

I also suspect warranty and repair work is much more complicated than we realize. I don’t find the turn around time to be excessive especially considering that Spyderco often goes out of the way to make things right.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Bullwinkle wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:54 am
It would seem to me if there is enough W&R work for 6 WEEKS.......and only 2 people.......maybe, they should hire more workers to reduce wait time for loyal customers. Turnaround time is too long for such a small company.
Hi, Bullwinkle:
Thank you, for your feedback. The turnaround time fluctuates and currently, I won't argue, it's on the high end of the spectrum. We're coming out of an incredibly busy January with both SHOT Show and the National Western Stock Show (a large and long local event) that caused a bit of a backlog.

It's important to note, staffing a department like W&R isn't a simple task. Our W&R team is highly skilled and meticulously trained to be able to manage a wide variety of requests and needs. It's not really a position you can just put anyone into. Beyond the technical skills and training, it takes a special kind of person to handle that position. W&R processes thousands of knives as well as other Spyderco products and quite honestly the people who contact them aren't always cordial and polite. Thankfully, a majority are but those who aren't, definitely take a greater amount of time to address professionally.

We appreciate all feedback and we are always looking at ways to improve but improvement isn't necessarily a product of adding more people.

Kristi
Crux

Post by Crux »

I find that if you have a backup knife the wait isn't a worry. IMHO
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Here is my email for reference since there is some underhanded shade being thrown around:
Hello,

I sent my Spydiechef in for service. It was received by Spyderco on Jan 31.

Can you please verify you have it in your possession and that it is in the queue for work?

Thanks

MY NAME
MY ADDRESS
MY PHONE
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Received a call today and they are replacing the Spydiechef. Warranty turn-around time was 25 days, better than quoted.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Legumen1984 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:58 pm
Are you seriously waiting for a response from support for 3 days? I would demand a refund

You join the forum to make this particular post as your very first one in a thread that is "dead" since two years? :confused:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Legumen1984 wrote:
Are you seriously waiting for a response from support for 3 days? I would demand a refund

You join the forum to make this particular post as your very first one in a thread that is "dead" since two years? :confused:
Since he has been waiting 2 years to reply to this thread, I think he should receive a refund of his forum membership fee! Oh wait, there isn’t a fee! :rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Legumen1984 wrote:

Since he has been waiting 2 years to reply to this thread, I think he should receive a refund of his forum membership fee! Oh wait, there isn’t a fee! :rolleyes:

If there was: Lucky for him, he joined only yesterday to write this (his very first!) post today... ;)