New member here, just wondering...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

New member here, just wondering...

Post by Albatross »

New member, longtime lurker here. Hello everyone!

I have 2 questions for Sal, and would also like to know if anyone else is interested in the same things, or if I'm the only one.

First, will we ever see a button compression lock on the Paramilitary 2, Para 3, etc.? Ergonomically speaking, it would be an upgrade, in my opinion, but would also offer a better purchase on the knife when closing, for safety's sake. The PM2 will still be my absolute favorite either way, I'm just spoiled(I think most of us are).

Second, will Spyderco ever offer handle scales for sale? I'd love the ability to buy different colors of OEM Spyderco scales for a couple different models I own. Aftermarket scales seem too bulky, smooth, rough, poorly constructed, or expensive. I know I kinda sound like Goldilocks there, but I can't be alone in this.... right? :confused:

Anyway Sal(and Eric), thanks for making such awesome knives and for being real, with a genuine interest in your customers and their feedback. That's an incredibly rare thing these days and you dont get enough credit for it. That alone has convinced me to buy more Spyderco products than I might have otherwise, and has been a factor in my serious brand loyalty.
sal

Re: New member here, just wondering...

Post by sal »

Hi Albatross,

Welcome tyo our forum and thanx for the kind words.

The button release was part of the original patent. There are some concerns. We have one coming out soon that was in the original design by a collaboration design. We'll see how that one goes.

On the scales, it's really better for us to make more models of knives and let the aftermarket guys "do their stuff".

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you can make a button press compression lock operate similarly to how the Plunge Lock does, I will love it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:57 pm
Hi Albatross,

Welcome tyo our forum and thanx for the kind words.

The button release was part of the original patent. There are some concerns. We have one coming out soon that was in the original design by a collaboration design. We'll see how that one goes.

On the scales, it's really better for us to make more models of knives and let the aftermarket guys "do their stuff".

sal
Thanks! Is the button release something Spyderco plans to use on some flipper knives, to address the complaints some people had about flippers with the compression lock? I'm not a fan of flippers, so this is more just curiosity.

Fair enough on the scales. I'll continue to scour the internet for the pm2 scales I'm after... or buy an exclusive/sprint in the color I'm after.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Thanks for sharing that, it's exactly what I was thinking. I suppose a little less laziness on my part would have helped me find that.

All my great ideas have already been had by people before me. 🤣
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

Welcome Now in regards to a button compression lock on the Paramilitary 2, i feel the locking /unlocking system now being used on the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is the best system that it can be.
It's just so simple for me to use my finger to hold it, and with a small snap of my wrist have it safely closed.
How could it be better?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steeljustice wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:20 pm
Welcome Now in regards to a button compression lock on the Paramilitary 2, i feel the locking /unlocking system now being used on the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is the best system that it can be.
It's just so simple for me to use my finger to hold it, and with a small snap of my wrist have it safely closed.
How could it be better?
I have very large hands and sometimes find it difficult to keep a secure grip when closing the knife, so for people like myself, a side actuated lock(button) means I have a better grip on the knife. Nothing in this world is perfect for everyone. Don't get me wrong, the pm2 is my absolute favorite knife by a mile, and I plan to continue using mine indefinitely.
Crux

Post by Crux »

steeljustice wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:20 pm
How could it be better?
It's actually better on the Para 3. I'm not sure why, I'm just repeating the polls.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: