Delica Detent

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VSBALA01

Delica Detent

Post by VSBALA01 »

Hi all, I have a question out of concern for my Spyderco Delica. It's the first Spyderco knife of mine and I think the blue color is absolutely stunning. I am in the process of practicing a one-handed open despite the fact that it's a lockback blade.

What makes me a bit worried is when I am closing the blade. It seems the detent causes the blade to snap back into the handle upon closing the blade. I have seen this in many youtube videos and people don't seem to mind the metal smacking the handle when the blade is closing. Out of fear, and, not knowing what to do, I make sure to hold the blade in one hand and gently ease it back into the handle rather than letting the detent snap it in. I guess my question is: does letting the detent mechanism do its thing when closing the blade damage the edge of the blade/reduce the longevity of the knife? If not, it would make one-handed closing a helluva lot easier.

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!
Michael Janich

Re: Delica Detent

Post by Michael Janich »

The "kick" on the Delica's blade is designed to bottom out against the lug of the lock bar, leaving space between the edge and the inside surface of the handle. Unlike many traditional back lock folders, the closed blade can't be squeezed into the handle to force the edge to make contact. As such, there is no fear of dulling your edge if you snap it closed with enthusiasm. All Spyderco back locks have this feature.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 am
The "kick" on the Delica's blade is designed to bottom out against the lug of the lock bar, leaving space between the edge and the inside surface of the handle. Unlike many traditional back lock folders, the closed blade can't be squeezed into the handle to force the edge to make contact. As such, there is no fear of dulling your edge if you snap it closed with enthusiasm. All Spyderco back locks have this feature.

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike,

may I ask: Is what you describe above also true for the Centofante 3? I do not own one anymore, but did, and I can remember that unlike on most Spyderco backlocks the edge was extending almost all the way back to the handle (I liked that, actually) with no Ricasso and "kick"?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VSBALA01 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm
Hi all, I have a question out of concern for my Spyderco Delica. It's the first Spyderco knife of mine and I think the blue color is absolutely stunning. I am in the process of practicing a one-handed open despite the fact that it's a lockback blade.

What makes me a bit worried is when I am closing the blade. It seems the detent causes the blade to snap back into the handle upon closing the blade. I have seen this in many youtube videos and people don't seem to mind the metal smacking the handle when the blade is closing. Out of fear, and, not knowing what to do, I make sure to hold the blade in one hand and gently ease it back into the handle rather than letting the detent snap it in. I guess my question is: does letting the detent mechanism do its thing when closing the blade damage the edge of the blade/reduce the longevity of the knife? If not, it would make one-handed closing a helluva lot easier.

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum, the Delica was my first Spyderco too, still like it a lot! Hope you'll enjoy it too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

As above no you don’t need to worry about it as the edge dosnt contact anything while closed, even when closed with vigor.
As far as 1 handed opening goes, flicking backlocks becomes easier with practice and as the knife breaks in, however there are some who think flicking backlocks may introduce vertical blade play- I don’t really know one way or the other.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 am
Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike,

may I ask: Is what you describe above also true for the Centofante 3? I do not own one anymore, but did, and I can remember that unlike on most Spyderco backlocks the edge was extending almost all the way back to the handle (I liked that, actually) with no Ricasso and "kick"?
The Centofante 3 and 4 can both be squeezed so that the blade touches the backspacer. In the closed position the blade is not resting on the backspacer but if you squeeze the knife shut it will touch it. It is frn so it shouldn't damage the edge.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 am
Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike,

The Centofante 3 and 4 can both be squeezed so that the blade touches the backspacer. In the closed position the blade is not resting on the backspacer but if you squeeze the knife shut it will touch it. It is frn so it shouldn't damage the edge.
Thanx for the insight!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi VSBALA01,

Welcome to our forum

Thanx Mike for the explanation.

sal
VSBALA01

Post by VSBALA01 »

Whoa hi Sal! It’s an honor to meet you! Big fan of your engineering marvels and fascinating designs! I’m just a 18 yr old but my interest in the engineering of your knives all started through Spyderco’s inspiring beginnings and has me hooked!
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Michael Janich wrote:
I wonder if the bump of the kick could be moved from the tang of the knife to the lock bar, leaving only the contact point on the tang. Not a redesign suggestion, but a possible design feature for when a smaller kick is desired.