Police K390...yea it's freaking awesome.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Police K390...yea it's freaking awesome.

Post by vivi »

When I use a folder for food prep I do my best to keep everything about 1/2" from the ricasso, and to never touch messy foods with my knife hand. That way I only have to clean the blade.

Assuming I successfully keep the handle clean and pivot dry, a simple rinse under a faucet with a bit of soap and hot water is all it takes to keep it clean. No different than any other kitchen knife.

When camping I usually just rinse them off with water then wipe them dry on my pants. I try not to cut raw meats in these scenarios for that reason.
:unicorn
mayong

Post by mayong »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 am
When I use a folder for food prep I do my best to keep everything about 1/2" from the ricasso, and to never touch messy foods with my knife hand. That way I only have to clean the blade.

Assuming I successfully keep the handle clean and pivot dry, a simple rinse under a faucet with a bit of soap and hot water is all it takes to keep it clean. No different than any other kitchen knife.

When camping I usually just rinse them off with water then wipe them dry on my pants. I try not to cut raw meats in these scenarios for that reason.

+1 to all the above. That's the way!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nate wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 am
To add to the other replies, I always have a can of compressed air handy to blow any water out of the pivot and scales/liners after washing a blade....
I'm a fan of compressed air 👍
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Amazing to see that blue patina. I have not cut any pork. I eat a lot of fruit and especially apples. Mine K390 Urban LW only has the barest tinge of gold. I am hoping to get the Police 4 before they go out of print and do more experimenting. K390 is one of my favorite steels, after using it so much. I look forward to using it in the P4.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 am
...I am hoping to get the Police 4 before they go out of print and do more experimenting...
Is this currently a concern? Did I miss an announcement?

I also will likely get a Police 4 at some point, but I was in no rush due to it being regular production. If it's going away, I should get one sooner rather than later.

Thanks.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
vivi

Post by vivi »

Haven't heard anything of the sort. I plan to wait and see what the FRN Police is like when it comes out, then buy back-ups of whichever version I like best. If they don't end up doing a K390 FRN run I'll have to grab another G10 version...it's an amazing steel.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am
Haven't heard anything of the sort. I plan to wait and see what the FRN Police is like when it comes out, then buy back-ups of whichever version I like best. If they don't end up doing a K390 FRN run I'll have to grab another G10 version...it's an amazing steel.
I too plan to get a backup if the FRN never comes to life. I also agree that keeping the food from the ricasso makes for the smartest use of a folder with food prep. Thus, a long blade like the Catcherman is so much more desirable than that of the Spydiechef
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Landon,

I'm carrying a P4 FRN, K390, plain edge. The handle is made from the molds.

sal
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 pm
Hi Landon,

sal
YES!!!!!!!!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Spyderco POLICE model is so common and easy to get that many of us hard core SpyderHeads tend to take that awesome model for granted. Actually the G-10, ATS-55 Police is one of the early models I got to cut my teeth on. I also had the Stainless handled version in ATS-55 too and I always remember getting compliments on it and many of my friends at that time were telling me because it had the word POLICE on it that it might be illegal for me to carry :rolleyes: .

But the POLICE model in one of the Supersteels is just a great idea and maybe one I'll look into.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I agree, the P4 is a great tool in the kitchen, or for food prep when out camping.

I usually take an ‘ingredients pic’ before making each fresh batch of hotsauce. This is the last one I used the Police on:

A little while ago, when Wouter posted his top five favourite Spydies of all time, on Australian Blade Forums, a couple of us followed suit, with our own lists.

The Police 4 made it onto both my 5 all time most used Spydies, and my current 5 favourites.

Here’s my comments on it, from that post:

“If you'd told me a year or two ago, I'd be rockin' the Police, I would have laughed. This knife is one I never even considered until the K390 CQI'd version came along. Way too big for my purposes, I would have said. Well like a lot of things to do with using Spydercos, my opinions have been through some changes as I've been educated along the way. I bought this knife for the steel, but have grown to really like it. After thinning it out behind the edge, I use it in the kitchen quite a lot, despite having a full complement of handmade Japanese kitchen knives. This slim knife reminds me a lot in concept of the 5" bladed folding knives that people sometimes carried in the 18th and 19th centuries, when table cutlery often wasn't provided and your knife needed to perform table duty, as well as food prep, and utility use, and potentially serve as a self defence tool.”

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/v ... highlight=

With regard to cleaning it, I pretty much use the same process as Vivi. I’ll give the blade and pivot a bit of mineral oil from time to time.

Thanks for the tip on using canned compressed air, fellas - I’ll start doing that, too.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

attila wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:
...I am hoping to get the Police 4 before they go out of print and do more experimenting...

I also will likely get a Police 4 at some point, but I was in no rush due to it being regular production. If it's going away, I should get one sooner rather than later.

Thanks.
I did not say they were going away. I just said I need to get one before they do so. There might be a steel change, or a Police 5 down the road that I do not know about. That is all I was saying.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Hi Landon,

sal
THIS is GREAT NEWS!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 am
attila wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Thanks.
I did not say they were going away. I just said I need to get one before they do so. There might be a steel change, or a Police 5 down the road that I do not know about. That is all I was saying.
Thanks. I know you didn't explicitly say so, and rest assured, I wasn't being antagonistic. I was just being inquisitive since you said "hoping" and "out of print" in the same sentence about the P4, as if there was a risk of you not being able to get one.

Im glad it's not going away anytime soon, since I'm in the same boat as you. I'll get one eventually too, before they're all gone. I'm just not sure if it'll be the FRN or G10 version that I get. I lean towards the G10, but haven't seen the FRN yet.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:
Hi Landon,

sal
This is terrific news Sal. Thanks for bolstering our hopes.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

How long till the Great Reveal on this one?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 am
How long till the Great Reveal on this one?
Indeed.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mayong

Post by mayong »

sal wrote:
Hi Landon,

sal

Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Trigger pulled :D Things are about to get silly. Gonna start working on my Paul Hogan impression. What have I done?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I love my Police 4.Image