Thumb Stud Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zioo0

Thumb Stud Spydercos

Post by Zioo0 »

How many Thumbstud Spydercos have been produced by numbers? How many thumbstud Spydercos have been produced in models? :spyder: Lasty, isit even possible to have a Spyderco flipper?
emanuel

Re: Thumb Stud Spydercos

Post by emanuel »

Hey, check the catalog for 2019, Spyderco does sell a couple of flipper designs (Amalgam, Mantra come to mind). As for thumbstuds, since the hole is superior for opening and also doesn't get in the way of cutting, I doubt spyderco would ever use that design instead of its trademark hole. I for one am certainly not interested in a thumbstud Spyderco.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I do not like thumbstuds.
The hole is much better.

If you want a kind of thumbstud you can try with a zip tie (wave mod)
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Zioo0 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 am
How many Thumbstud Spydercos have been produced by numbers? How many thumbstud Spydercos have been produced in models? :spyder: Lasty, isit even possible to have a Spyderco flipper?
ZiooO, welcome to the forum! As has already be stated there are indeed Spyderco flippers. It seems to me that thumb studs would be redundant on a knife that already has an excellent deployment design. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They have sold quite a few flippers at this point.

There was an exclusive Pingo that came with thumbstuds as an option if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, the hole is a trademark so all Spydercos will have it. It is one of the things that makes a Spyderco a Spyderco.

Welcome to the forum!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Vallotton has thumb studs but they also act as a blade stop. You can open it with either but the hole is far easier.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Thumb stud Spydercos ... I would hope not! :mad:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Evil D wins the prize! The Valloton is a gorgeous exception to the rule.
viewtopic.php?t=62406

Bearfacedkiller, I think you're remembering a modified Pingo, not a factory option. The tiny holes are a good size for thumb studs from other knives... Not to say that makes it a good idea. XD
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am
viewtopic.php?t=62406

Bearfacedkiller, I think you're remembering a modified Pingo, not a factory option. The tiny holes are a good size for thumb studs from other knives... Not to say that makes it a good idea. XD
The Edge Matters forum exclusive included a thumb stud. While the stud probably didn't come from the factory, I believe it was included with all the knives from this run.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

B1E6F01E-BA67-4179-A277-FA3E190AEE01.png
There were some Japanese knives that Spyderco distributed. Those had thumb studs. I guess they aren’t Spydercos but look at the resemblance.

The ATR had a hood opener.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zioo0,

Welcome to our forum.

The models with studs we did make were listed above. Not likely we'd make more unless, like the Valloton, there was a particular function, like the stop.

Eric has put a number of flippers through.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what it's worth I really like how the Vallotton studs are done. That knife locks so solid it's crazy, no blade play whatsoever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

jabba359 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 am
The Edge Matters forum exclusive included a thumb stud. While the stud probably didn't come from the factory, I believe it was included with all the knives from this run.
Correct.
---------
Tony S
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thumb stud shmumb stud.

I made a new tongue twister!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

jabba359 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 am
JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am
viewtopic.php?t=62406

Wow, interesting bit of history!
Mike Read is still OK in my book, but I had to think long and hard about it when I did a search and found out he was the one behind this "special edition" project. ;)
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

I haven't bought a knife with a thumb stud in years. It's usually a deal killer for me at this point.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Any knives I own with thumb studs, I own them despite the studs, not because of them. Once I even plotted to create a Spydie hole on another brand of knife so I could toss the studs and have a blade that opens easily. I didn’t buy that knife, but I was seriously considering it.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'll take a two hand opener with a nail nick before a thumbstud or thumb disc. I've got a couple knives left with studs and I hate deploying them for that reason.

Spydiehole, auto button, flipper, nail nick.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always kind of considered the older "Cobra Hood" models to be very similar to a "thumb stud" model. Especially the original Titanium ATR and the Titanium Salsa models would deploy about as fast as any automatics in my humble opinion.

Two of the older Benchmade Boguszewski Spike models I owned and used both had thumb studs and they could be deployed extremely fast if needed to do so.

With all things considered I think I would opt for the return of the "Cobra Hood" models instead of a simple thumb stud. I've often wondered why they faded away like they did. Just about everyone I talked to over the years loved their Cobra Hood models. Even the ASSIST I model was nice with the Cobra Hood.