More K390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
polyhexamethyl

Re: More K390?

Post by polyhexamethyl »

if there s a possibility of golden made models
i’d be very much interested in a military and the shaman - really couldn’t care less about the handle material - just k390 pretty please!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd love to see the Chaparral sprinted with different blade steels. It would be fantastic in K390.

I know that changing the steel on the Chap is contrary to the spirit of the project (and honestly I don't expect to see it happen), but the Chap LW would make a great platform for sprints in exotic steels.
sal

Post by sal »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 am
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd love to see the Chaparral sprinted with different blade steels. It would be fantastic in K390.

I know that changing the steel on the Chap is contrary to the spirit of the project (and honestly I don't expect to see it happen), but the Chap LW would make a great platform for sprints in exotic steels.
Perhaps the LW might be possible.

sal
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The Kapara would be my top pick for K390, but I know it's probably not feasible for all the manufacturing-side reasons.

A Yojimbo2 sprint or Dodo sprint in K390 would also definitely get my money.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 am
TomAiello wrote:

sal
Maybe the Chap LW could be a parallel project? The current Chap is released in successive handle materials, and the Chap LW gets released in successive blade steels?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I really like the idea of the Chap LW because the blade is so thin. With a steel like K390, you're not really going to experience everything it has to offer unless you're pushing the hardness and using thin geometry. (You can tell I've been listening to DeadBoxHero a lot :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:55 pm
sal wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

sal
Maybe the Chap LW could be a parallel project? The current Chap is released in successive handle materials, and the Chap LW gets released in successive blade steels?
FRNs holding different steels in a knife with a perfected backlock? And maybe extended to XL proportions with the same thin proportions?

Call it, say, the Pradera (Spanish for prairie, a biome, as is the Spanish “chaparral”).

The name change to Pradera would safeguard the Chaparral’s intent and offer buyers an alternative gateway to steels at a price perhaps less than PM2s and at a length more flexible jurisdictionally.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I'd love some K390 to try. My vote is the Para3.
Personally this has become my favourite edc. I rotating between 3 different variations.
I reserve my Chaparral (original version) for when I get dressed up. That isnt very often.

The Para3 has proven a popular platform for Spyderco with about 22 variations in 23 months (according to spydiewiki) not counting a couple more announced but not yet shipping. Based on its current popularity I think it would sell well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Caly3 and Caly 3.5 in an FRN model would be outstanding in this steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wouldn’t buy another wafer thin blade, especially longer and just as thin.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

sal
Yes! That would be a must buy!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am eager to see K390 in a Golden knife or two. My top choice would be the Shaman.

And I am with "bearfacedkiller" that 10V or PMA11 would make me very happy also in the Shaman.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pivot-tightening in linerless FRN—to correct lateral blade play—can cause the pivot-screw assembly to spin past the flat in the FRN pivot-hole (and then a whole new adventure begins separating the assembly).

Such is the experience I’ve had with my otherwise delightful K390 Urban.

Yes, more K390, but if in linerless FRN, I’ll wait to hear that CQI has corrected this real flaw.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

sal wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

sal
I'm all in for a k390 Chaparral LW.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 pm
Hi Marulaghost,

Welcome to our forum.

On the K390, there are plans.

sal
Im thrilled to hear this. K390 consistently amazes me.
Justin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Loving it on the Police4, can't wait to see what they do with it next.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
missouried

Post by missouried »

I’ve got some cash set aside for those manix 2 exclusives coming up. Soon hopefully. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

There are Manix 2 exclusives in K390 coming up? How did I miss that?

Who's doing them?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sal wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

sal
Please make this happen
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:08 am
I would love to see a Golden made knife in K390, especially the Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL. A good back lock is always my preference. No liner locks or frame locks, please.

These would be my first choices, especially the Manix 2, since I'd probably carry it more than the XL, but either would be great!!*

ZrowsN1s wrote: I really like the idea of the Chap LW because the blade is so thin. With a steel like K390, you're not really going to experience everything it has to offer unless you're pushing the hardness and using thin geometry. (You can tell I've been listening to DeadBoxHero a lot :D )

I also like the idea of a thinner blade but hope it will be possible in a bigger knife, at least 3 3/8" (like the Manix :rolleyes: ).

And, speaking of dreaming, I'd like foliage green or dark green G10 or carbon fiber, preferably smooth-ish, like the last Cruwear exclusive M2, but I can always sand it a bit myself. Personally, I'd prefer bare metal.. already have plenty DLC.

*Edit: Better yet, do both as a matched set!! Any scales -- if I don't like 'em I can change 'em :D
Last edited by DougC-3 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.