Para 3 Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Capt J-rod

Para 3 Lightweight?

Post by Capt J-rod »

Well I finally drank the cool-aid and bought a PM2 blurple s110v. I always steered away from the size but the design and the ergonomics finally got me to pull the trigger. I will confess that I usually carry (carried) a bench made mini grip. I have zero complaints on the mini grip and have never been nice to it. It has held up great and continues to perform. Now that I have a pm2 it is getting way more pocket time than I thought it would. It carries MUCH smaller than I ever thought it could. Now I see a lightweight para 3 is coming. With the cult following of the delica I am thinking that this new design might be a great option. I guess my question is whether I will miss the g10 and liners. What are everyone's thoughts?
samdasnake

Re: Para 3 Lightweight?

Post by samdasnake »

I can say that I have never missed the liners and g10 in lw models. In fact I prefer FRN to g10 for EDC. It's more affordable, has a great texture, and can take a real beating. Highly recommended. I put in my preorder of the para3 LW yesterday :)
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

Shorter Version: I’ve had lots of FRN Spyderco knives and loved them all, and never felt they were lacking. FRN is really durable and comfortable, in my opinion.

Longer Version: Almost all my Spyderco knives have been an FRN format over the years: cricket, dragonfly, delica 3, ladybug, manbug, Native 2, calypso jr. I list them all just so you can see 1) I’ve had a lot of FRN over 15 years and 2) a lot of them are older / discontinued — meaning with CQI, newer FRN models should clearly be more refined and even better.

I’ve always loved FRN and I’ve never missed liners or g10. The only reason my current rotation (Techno, Brouwer, Caly 3, g10 UKPK) aren’t FRN is because they’re not available in FRN. I’m super excited for the FRN para 3, and will buy it as soon it’s available. And would gladly buy all the ones I have now in FRN if they make ‘em!

My use is pretty edc/general utility: boxes, packing tape, mail pieces, foods, occasionally whittling nubs and poky bits off of sticks.

EDIT: The UKPK is available in FRN, but I like the spring action better and have a fondness for my original black g10 UKPK. :cool:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Removal of the liners will affect the action.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I think you just have to adjust your expectations slightly. It will feel slightly different for sure. That being said, I think it's gonna be sweet. And I can't wait. I held off on the original pm3 because I have and love the pm2, but I think this different version will entice me to buy!
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

I think the golden lightweights are killer. In many cases I prefer them over the normal models. For every use a Spyderco is appropriate for, (cutting), the lightweights are more than capable. They have really impressed me. It’s all about the function with the lightweights, in my opinion. I’ll be buying a para3 lightweight for sure.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I personally prefer the G10 versions typically. I have 3 different blade steel Para 3 and the line fills most of my edc rotation now.
However, this lightweight version has me really looking forward to it with the sculpted edges of the handles I think it may feel better in the hand. Still not sure about the BD1N blade steel as I don't have any experience with it. I think that choice is helping keep the price point down but I'd be all over M4 or K390 or ... and pay more.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I prefer G-10 over nearly anything for feel alone (paper micarta is awesome, but hard to find).
But the lightweight models are usually thinner, and thin+sculpted is nearly always perfect for pocket carry characteristics.

The Dragonfly is a great example of a knife I like better in FRN. I wouldn't trade my Caly3.5 for anything, but the Caly3 and Dfly in G-10 have always felt a little too chunky.
I'm thankful I can carry bigger blades and don't have a need for the Para3, but the price and BD1N make this new model very, very hard to resist.
Capt J-rod

Post by Capt J-rod »

My fear of the size on the PM2 almost made me buy a para 3. The paramilitary 2 has a cult following, so I went that way. I have no regrets, but now that I like it I am looking at more. I have a feeling that a para3 lightweight is in my future.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I think that carbon fiber is the best surface for me and I like the action on the Para 3. I am definitely picking up the Para 3 LWs either way.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have had a lot of Spydercos over the years but they and my others had to go. But, needing ONE knife to depend on it will be the Para 3 LW. I think it will be everything the Delica was not for me and will serve me well and long.

This is only my personal view and not meant to denigrate the Delica, of which I have had more than a few.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Funny as I enjoy the weight of the Para 3 g10 compared to a Delica.

But then again the GB1 is my favourite of all folding knives and never cared for the PM2s until the M4 versions.

Being a fisherman I probably have use a pacific salt more than anything else and could not fault FRN in any way.

Probably will pass on the lightweight Para 3
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.