Army ROTC Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rwasham

Re: Army ROTC Knife

Post by rwasham »

I like the Salt 2 or the Pacific Salt. Something you don't have to worry about rusting.
sok

Post by sok »

I would go with a Military and a Sharpmaker. Emphasis on the SM.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

hambone56rx wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:15 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am

Make sure you check the regulations on size before you buy.

If the Caribbean is too big my second pick for a folder is the Salt 2 in black.
BLUETYPEII,

Would you rather have a Salt 2 in H1 or a Native Salt in LC200N? I would think the LC200N would be better, so I've been leaning toward the Native Salt. And SE or PE? Is it good to have a completely rust proof knife even in the Army since you just never know?

Thanks for the input.

Hamilton
I would only pick the Salt 2 if light reflectivity was an issue because you can get it in all black, I think the Native Salt is a superior knife with superior ergonomics and steel. Either way make sure you bring a torx driver with you if you’re using this in a military application, a sharpening stone wouldn’t hurt either.

As far as PE or SE I really don’t like serrated blades but that’s kind of a personal thing. Serrated knives have superior cutting ability though.

If it was strictly a self-defense knife though I would go serrated all day long because it will be new out of the package sharp until you use it. The only sub 3.5” blade I would even think about using for SD is a Tasman or something similar. (again serrated would be better).

It’s always better to have a rustproof knife I’m probably repeating myself but I’m EDCing a Caribbean leaf PE and a Native Salt PE. I’ll switch up the third knife depending on where I am and what I’m doing or just go with the two.

Hope that helps.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 pm
Hope that helps.
It does! Thank you sir! I'll call up the ROTC office and see if they have any regulations. I wouldn't think so, so I like the idea of the Carribean. But the lighter weight of the Native Salt has advantages too.

Hamilton
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You might think about the Native. It is a tough little knife, small enough to put in a pocket out of sight of nervous instructors, and large enough to be useful.

An Esee Izula would be a good choice, too. It can also be pocket carried, if need be, but will not break. It is easy to sharpen, even on a coffee mug.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

Basically, you want a Para 3.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: