What Millie will be 'revealed' next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

What Millie will be 'revealed' next?

Post by brj »

I have enough Millies to last me a couple of lives but just for the fun of it, what do you think Spyderco's next move will most likely be? Educated guess or wishful thinking, let your imagination fly :)

1) Military 2 (the long overdue update featuring the Stop lock)
2) Maxamet Millie
3) Salt Millie (LC200N yellow G10 handle)
4) Lightweight Millie (CTS BD1N and FRN)
5) or maybe a combo of the above? Lightweight Salt Millie (LC200N and yellow FRN) ;)
6) Other?
Pelagic

Re: What Millie will be 'revealed' next?

Post by Pelagic »

My first thought was Maxamet millie in 2021.

I like all the variations you mentioned.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Since at this point I think the Military 2 is just a running joke, I'd like to see a LW Millie in BD1N with a four way hourglass clip and extra stiff detent. I sold off my Millies in favor of the Police but that would be a fun platform for me to try out that steel for the first time.
:unicorn
jacala

Post by jacala »

What about a Millie for the Military.
iow, easy to sharpen,easy to clean,non slip,can be used with gloves on.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

To me the Military is the equivalent of the shark or the Colt 1911. They got it right the first time. Leave it be and make another model with different features! :)
I have never understood the "Gee i wish Spyderco would make model X more like model Y, only with some features from model Z"
Fair play to those who think different, but that's the way i see it.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Larry_Mott et al
Was the first original Military designed for Armed Forces personel for use in the field ?
If so, then use of any exotic steels may or may not be a good thing.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Quote from Spyderco.com re. the Military
"A cornerstone in Spyderco's Save and Serve line up, the Military Model came about after someone asked Spyderco's owner Sal Glesser, "If your son were going into the military what folding knife would you send him with?" For certain, it had to meet the requirements of a high-performance, light-weight folder designed for hard use"
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd guess we'll see the Maxamet next, then a lightweight, then a lightweight salt.

I'm more interested in some new CQI G10 millies with DLC blades, liners, and hardware and steels like Cruwear, 3V, 4V, 52100, and Rex45 and plain old textured G10 (not smooth or marbled or carbon fiber or Ti). I'd even take a blacked out CQI Military in original BD1.

My real choice for the next bomb drop reveal would be a Military Salt with Dayglow Semi Translucent Flourescent Yellow G10 and DLC coated Serrated H1 blade, liners, and hardware. BOOM! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 am
To me the Military is the equivalent of the shark or the Colt 1911. They got it right the first time. Leave it be and make another model with different features! :)
I have never understood the "Gee i wish Spyderco would make model X more like model Y, only with some features from model Z"
Agreed.

Some where along the way people began viewing knives like Legos. You can't just swap this lock for that and this grip with that blade.
Even Suttle ergo changes like the Stretch to the Stretch 2 takes all new tools, molds, jigs, CNC programs and it's own entire floor at the plant.
I really hate all the wish threads.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't really see a "lightweight" version being much lighter unless it were done with a single partial liner. There just isn't that much weight difference between G10 and FRN is there? I can't see there being any more than half an ounce difference if that. The Military is already pretty light for it's size.

I would love to see a Salt version though, give it FFG/LC200N and SE and I'm on board. Heck you can even make it yellow G10 for all I care.

I'm also still interested in Cruwear or Maxamet versions, but if I had the choice I'd probably rather see this Cruwear Shaman instead.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 am
I can't really see a "lightweight" version being much lighter unless it were done with a single partial liner. There just isn't that much weight difference between G10 and FRN is there? I can't see there being any more than half an ounce difference if that. The Military is already pretty light for it's size.

I would love to see a Salt version though, give it FFG/LC200N and SE and I'm on board. Heck you can even make it yellow G10 for all I care.

I'm also still interested in Cruwear or Maxamet versions, but if I had the choice I'd probably rather see this Cruwear Shaman instead.
Even though I agree with everything you said...

People here are OBSESSED with weight. They'll always ask for a lightweight version of anything. I'm the exact opposite. I love my stainless byrd, I loved my CS 4max, I've never encountered a single knife in my life where weight was an issue, nor have I met a single person in my life that considered weight when choosing a knife. But in the online community, I've come to learn that nearly everything is too heavy.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:14 am
Evil D wrote:

People here are OBSESSED with weight. They'll always ask for a lightweight version of anything. I'm the exact opposite. I love my stainless byrd, I loved my CS 4max, I've never encountered a single knife in my life where weight was an issue, nor have I met a single person in my life that considered weight when choosing a knife. But in the online community, I've come to learn that nearly everything is too heavy.
LOL'd true, true
archangel

Post by archangel »

Pelagic wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thank you. Exactly my thoughts. And let me add that this weight obsession really confuses me.
Last edited by archangel on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pelagic wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with weight, my Autonomy is kind of a brick. But I'm definitely a little over protective of the Military in particular because I think it's amazing how light it is for the size so I'm not about anything that makes it heavier. I even love titanium but I can't get into that version because it's so much heavier. For whatever reason once I get used to a model being a certain weight it does bother me if it's made heavier.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I hope that the next one will be Maxamet but 10V or K390 would also be awesome. In the end I will be happy to see any new Militaries. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

LC200N salt treatment all the way FRN or G10 fine and yellow does not bother me I'll just rit dye it black. A fully serrated H1 would be straight up awesome. Pretty sure I read somewhere Spyderco is working on being able to FFG H1 that would be awesome but will take it any way it will come in H1 Fully Serrated.

It would be nice to see both Cruwear and CTS-XHP re-released as well. CTS-XHP is getting allot of respect from me these days using my Hundred Pacer. Hard to believe how well it is keeping the factory edge.

As far as locks go better stick with liner locks otherwise a back lock which I prefer will probably add more weight.

Now that I am in full on fantasy mode how about full titanium handles and LC200n and H1?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Archangel, I'd buy you a beer any day.

Evil D, unnecessary. I knew you were one of them.

Lol. I'm only kidding. I'm in the minority here in about 50 ways.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 am
I see it this way, too.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm hoping it's Maxamet. K390 is really good too though. I would love a K390 millie.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

No LW or Salt for me thanks. K390 would be the bees knees. But such statements are wants. I haven’t a clue what’s next
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”