Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gibs0n

Re: Ikuchi

Post by gibs0n »

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:13 pm
Paul - quick question in regards to the part I bolded above.

I use to own a Boker Kwaiken. Nice knife, but when closed the edge was very close to the open backside of the knife. Most times it was no issue, but I did spook myself a bit once when I grabbed the knife once and felt the edge brush against my fingerpad. There were a few posts on another forum where people actually got cut from that issue.

Lastly, how recessed is the tip when it is closed? Any issue of it snagging?

Thanks - Pat
From watching this video, posted in the Shot Show 2019 thread by gsg9, the edge and point don’t appear very close to the outsides of the handle when closed.

https://youtu.be/46jvbaLFLgQ
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

gibs0n wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:01 am
Halfneck wrote:

I use to own a Boker Kwaiken. Nice knife, but when closed the edge was very close to the open backside of the knife. Most times it was no issue, but I did spook myself a bit once when I grabbed the knife once and felt the edge brush against my fingerpad. There were a few posts on another forum where people actually got cut from that issue.

Thanks - Pat
From watching this video, posted in the Shot Show 2019 thread by gsg9, the edge and point don’t appear very close to the outsides of the handle when closed.

https://youtu.be/46jvbaLFLgQ
Awesome link. Best video yet on the Ikuchi.
Justin
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Halfneck wrote:

Thanks - Pat
Howdy Pat,
Let’s start with the tip first... it is very well recessed and the stand-off placement is such that it keeps the tip safely inaccessible when the knife is closed. So there should be no worries there.
As for the edge exposure at the spine when closed, we are definitely walking a fine line with that feature, balancing slim aesthetics with capable blade geometry; but I think we did a nice job with that trade-off. The relatively thin blade stock and thin washers help make the allowed access between the liners as limited as possible. We also made sure there was clearance where needed to avoid any unintended edge contact. I couldn’t cut myself accidentally on it whether in pocket, out of pocket, or in between, and I was trying a few things that in normal use, I would consider ‘unreasonable’ or ‘ill conceived’ (to be polite). Now, there is a chance folks with smaller fingers and softer skin may need to be a bit more careful, but I don’t think the issues with the Ikuchi are near as concerning as some other extremely low-profile designs.

Thanks Pat, for finally asking a question I felt like I could fully answer... ;)
- Paul
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Paul & gibs0n - thanks for the answers.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

Paul: I just wanted to comment that I love the use of the hole in the handle as a modern take/homage to the little icon/embellishment that is so common to older knives. I immediately knew what you were aiming for with that!

This is going to be a fun design to carry and use, and my son has already claimed its “the coolest Spyderco ever!” (He’s 12). :cool: I hooked him on quality tools from a very early age, but his eye for design is all his own.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

[/BBvideo]A video with Paul Alexander explaining his design choises.
https://youtu.be/Y6z8Xq3FcbU&t=0s
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

J D Wijbenga wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am
A video with Paul Alexander explaining his design choises.
Awesome video, thanks for sharing!
~andrew
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The more I see this, the more I want it!

It's becoming too strong!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wish we had a hint as to when it's coming
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:17 pm
I wish we had a hint as to when it's coming
90-120 days is the estimation from Spyderco for the knives announced in Volume one of the reveal.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I get that, was looking for an actual specific time frame. I guess it must be going through QC or they wouldn't announce in the reveal?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Nice video! It was really cool hearing him explain the choices and considerations that went into his designs.
alinla

Post by alinla »

paulwa wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 am
alinla wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm
Anyone else notice the hole in the scales that line up with the Spydie hole is missing on the prototype Eric demo'd in the SHOT show videos? Pity because I liked the look with the holes, it gave it character.
Howdy alinla,
The production version will have the holes. There were a number of older parts without holes floating around that had to be used when the production proto was tied up.
The images you see at Spyderco and various internet dealers are correct and have the holes in the blade and handles.

- Paul
Thanks Paul. Wonderful to have you in the forum. Look forward to purchasing the knife soon.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm
I get that, was looking for an actual specific time frame. I guess it must be going through QC or they wouldn't announce in the reveal?
No, I wouldn't say that. Spyderco must have some visibility regarding delivery date but that could mean a number of things.
I believe Eric said that the Smock is now shipping to dealers.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm
No, I wouldn't say that. Spyderco must have some visibility regarding delivery date but that could mean a number of things.
I believe Eric said that the Smock is now shipping to dealers.
I guess I figured they wouldn't chance saying it might be here if they were still working on the knife. Like he said the Smock had issues and had to be cqi'd before release. For me I'd rather have a release date and not just a seemingly random time, when I never have funds lol
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wanted the Smock until I saw the Ikuchi(and the fugly choil on the Smock)

It has since been removed from my list. Now, I'm sitting here doing the Ikuchikuchi dance in anticipation of it's release.

It's less of a dance and more of a spastic convulsion at this point...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

gibs0n wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:03 am
This is going to be a fun design to carry and use, and my son has already claimed its “the coolest Spyderco ever!” (He’s 12). :cool: I hooked him on quality tools from a very early age, but his eye for design is all his own.
Careful gibs0n, sounds like your son is already on his way towards having a hefty knife addiction... ;)
That’s similar to how I got hooked as a kid.

On a serious note, I couldn’t be more thrilled with all the positive comments coming from everyone about the design. I’m especially ecstatic that by end of Shot Show, Eric was seriously considering one of the other patterns in the series for production.
So, a big “Thank You” to all the Spyderco fans out there for making this dream come true. :D

- Paul
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Thanks for being a great designer Paul! Can't wait for this one! :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

paulwa wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:02 am

On a serious note, I couldn’t be more thrilled with all the positive comments coming from everyone about the design. I’m especially ecstatic that by end of Shot Show, Eric was seriously considering one of the other patterns in the series for production.
So, a big “Thank You” to all the Spyderco fans out there for making this dream come true. :D

- Paul

Was? ;)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I don't have much more to add, but to chime in and say in my best 'Wayne's World' impression: "Yes, one day, the Ikuchi will be mine. Oh yes". It ticks off all the boxes for suburban EDC, it's a cool design with a great backstory, very minimalist to carry and use in public, very functional, and it has a great front flipper opening so the fidget factor is high. I Can't wait for these to hit the streets.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram