Blending EDC with Self Defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dodge

Re: Blending EDC with Self Defense

Post by Dodge »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 am
Does anyone else remember Doc Snubnose and his meat tests? I miss him :(

Yeahhhhhh what happened to him?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
garret

Post by garret »

I think what you need is called lil matriarch
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:I think that the Military would be my first choice but I also think that the Yojimbo2 is the best blend of SD and utility that you can get in a knife.
Yeah and the beautiful thing about the Yojimbo 2 is that it falls well within most blade length laws throughout the country. And with the C-36 Military being desired for SD uses it only makes perfect sense to offer it in full Spyderedge again.

Also that is another reason I've recently made the case for using fixed blades as EDC knives ( where the law allows of course)>> because in most cases especially with a lot of these newer tactical sheaths available on the market it makes most fixed blades a lot easier to deploy than most folders are.

Let's face the facts because it is a lot easier to have full confidence in a fixed blade in most cases. The Ronin model for instance is probably legal to carry in most jurisdictions throughout the USA.
The Yo2 was made specifically for what you are asking for...by a guy who knows stuff about knife fighting. Ronin for sure, if you can swing having a fixed blade. Maybe train yourself to use it with your off hand...so both of your weapons are not on the same side of your body? Training is probably more important. I know this little guy named Chino that could probably take anyone out with a Delica because of all the training he has.. stands a better chance of survival than someone with a Yo2 or Mili who has no idea what to do.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:58 am
I don't have any training in self defense with a knife. Here's how I see things going down in a situation where I am unexpectedly forced to defend myself with a folding knife. Assuming I can get it open, and don't drop it, I'm going to be holding onto it for dear life and stabbing away reflexively. Fine motor control will go out the window, and I will definitely not be making any targeted, planned out moves. Out of the knives in my collection (none of them specifically designed as a defensive tool), IMO, the Sliverax lends itself most to this kind of reflexive stabbing. That's the specific point I'm making.
Sounds like you'd do well with the P'kal.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I live in Phx too and I fully understand where your coming from with the shorts thing. An Endura isn’t a bad choice. They are very lightweight and I honestly would not use a sub3.5 inch blade for SD.

I just wish Spyderco would do a yellow and black zome Endura with LC200N steel for those sweaty 115°+ days. That would be the perfect blade for summer in AZ. (I hope sal is listening)

I personally EDC a Caribbean Salt,
Native Salt and Cara Cara 2 (almost an Endura) at work. And on off hours I replace the Cara Cara 2 with something more high end like the PM2 or Amalgam.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I live in Phx too and I fully understand where your coming from with the shorts thing. An Endura isn’t a bad choice. They are very lightweight and I honestly would not use a sub3.5 inch blade for SD.

I just wish Spyderco would do a yellow and black zome Endura with LC200N steel for those sweaty 115°+ days. That would be the perfect blade for summer in AZ. (I hope sal is listening)

Native Salt and Cara Cara 2 (almost an Endura) at work. And on off hours I replace the Cara Cara 2 with something more high end like the PM2 or Amalgam.
Have you seen what Mr. Janich can do with a two inch blade? I’d feel more comfortable with a dedicated SD blade as part of an edc combo.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Dodge wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

Have you seen what Mr. Janich can do with a two inch blade? I’d feel more comfortable with a dedicated SD blade as part of an edc combo.
I've said this same thing in another thread recently. Hope you have been well Dodge.
As for my recommendation, I can't say enough good things about the Lil Matriarch or the Military.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Just got a LNIB Massad Ayoob today. Just like the Gunting, i thought it looked goofy and pointless, until you have it in your hand and the pieces suddenly fit together : )

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 am
Just got a LNIB Massad Ayoob today. Just like the Gunting, i thought it looked goofy and pointless, until you have it in your hand and the pieces suddenly fit together : )

That's a good looking knife Larry! Wish they'd do a sprint, it would make JD's day.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Yes, indeed! I am just afraid it would be a slow seller once the handful of aficionados (spelling?) get theirs. That being said, of course i am all in favor!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
elena86

Post by elena86 »

P'kal - enough said
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

P'kal was a nice knife but it just didn't work for me. Got it in a trade and then sold it. If you waved it too fast it would bounce and wouldn't lock. Not the most fun thing but it never cut me. I prefer the Yo2 especially for utility. Fits my hand better.
And I made this so i can practice my box cutting and utility techniques. Always best to practice with a knife before heavy usage. Those boxes aren't forgiving.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Xceptnl, Been doing well. Just padding the the ole Spyderco collection. Trying to be more active on here lately.

sal

Post by sal »

Sharp is critical. Dull is less effective. If you use your knife working all day and its edge is less than crisp, effectiveness is diminished, in my opinion.

sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

My vote goes for a PE lil Matriarch. I think that it is the most underrated EDC around and there are no serrations to get snagged in clothing.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 pm
Sharp is critical. Dull is less effective. If you use your knife working all day and its edge is less than crisp, effectiveness is diminished, in my opinion.

sal
Now, that's hard to argue.. :)
I don't carry a knife for self defense, but if i should change my mind, the Gunting seems like a fair choice, considering you can "elevate" from non lethal to lethal force using the same tool. Or the Civilian. The Civvie wouldn't see any use besides its intended purpose.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I have a knife on me 100% of the time unless I am on an airplane. It is an EDC and backup self defense tool.

If I am not carrying a gun I will usually pack my waved Matriarch paired with a small leatherman squirt.

Normally I carry a big enough blade that I keep very sharp. It is my EDC or last ditch defense tool. I like knives in the para 2/endura size.

If I'm lounging around the house I have the delica or Para 3 in my pocket.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:04 pm
I only use my knife to cut inanimate objects. For self defense i carry my Puma shoes and a small canister of Sabre Red OC spray.
A quick shower of that, with a optional swift stomp kick to the kneecap and then run like **** is what i feel the best defense.
I'm hitting 60 and had open heart surgery in 2017. If attacked, I am pretty much unable to run, I certainly cannot outrun anyone, knives will be employed, and I will not quit until the bad guy is down or running in the other direction at a high rate of speed.

In my younger days, I studied 10 martial arts, 5 of them Filipino Escrima and Arnis. If you think that knives don't make a good weapon, I feel for you. Don't attack anyone with my training, or you will find out how effective they may be.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ZMW wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:48 am
Alright guys, what is your folder of choice for a nice compromise between EDC and SD? I do not want to pull out my Matriarch or a civilian to open a box at work. But, I want a fully capable SD weapon as well.

Blade length, blade tip, handle/grip, PE/SE, etc.

I personally think the PM2 fits the mold, that is my preference. What else? Millie, endura, any other models I am missing here?

Other consideration, I live in Phoenix. So I can only wear jeans 4-5 months out of the year, so carrying a Millie may not be a great idea in shorts, where as the PM2 is a better fit, but even that is bulky.

Thanks guys!

Edit for Farnorthdan- I fully agree a CCW is the best defense, but in no gun areas, etc, when I can only carry a folder is my concern...
I'm not sure what kind of shorts you are wearing, but I never have a problem carrying knives while wearing shorts. Throw a belt in the loops.

Wearing shorts I'd have no problem carrying a folder of fixed blade up to 4 or 5 inches in length.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Dodge wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

I can’t say I’ve seen the video of Mr. Janich.

I should start an SD knife topic but...

The short answer is: Dedicated knife or not you need to have good muscle memory / training. That’s why I like to use Spyderco’s for a back up (to my gun) for a SD knife Because the spyder hole is similar on all of the knives.

Trust me when you’re panicking because some guys going to try and hit you over the head with a brick or some crazyness like that, if IF! you have time your hand isn’t going to reach for that dedicated SD blade. Your brain is going to tell it to reach for your EDC blade because it knows that is where you keep your knife, unless you’re trained to use that blade for self-defense. If you’re really concerned with SD and not “trained” just EDC something effective for self defense and don’t worry about a dedicated SD blade.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”