WE Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

WE Knives

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At the moment, I feel like I have all the Spyderco models I desire (still awaiting the Smock). I was looking at my collection the past few days and was really thinking...do I REALLY need 5 different Para 3's in G10, just with different steels?? I like them all, but feel like I'm ready to part with at least 2 or 3...though that's a gut wrenching decision in it's own right! I have a few others that don't see much pocket time either.

I could keep all of these. I just don't like seeing them basically go to waste. So the past few days I've been browsing around at a few other companies knives and have to admit, there's a few WE Knives models that have peaked my interest.

I'm by NO MEANS becoming a traitor or backing away from Spyderco, I'd just like to give something else a try. The WE Knives I'm interested in are the Wisp and Deacon...both around $250. More than I ever said I'd spend on a knife! But if I'm able to off load a couple hardly used knives, I'd feel better about it.

Does anybody have any experience with WE Knives? Positive or negative?? Rarely watch review videos, but have on these and they receive great reviews...especially from the Wisp from Shabazz, though I wouldn't get a green one.

What do you guys think, take the plunge and give one a try...or am I crazy to be willing to spend that kind of money on a Chinese made knife, granted very well made with excellent materials. Encourage me, or bring me back to my senses!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
awa54

Re: WE Knives

Post by awa54 »

My co-worker has an early 601 Ti framelock and I own a 703 (G10 & D2), both are very well built and the flipping action is fabulous. The "cheap" knife has all the good qualities of the premium model, just with lesser materials, rather impressive considering that there's almost a $200 price difference between the two.

They both strike a fair compromise between cutting performance and strength in the blade geometry and have very nice ergos... if you happen to be a right handed tip-up carry type... But they're both also rather heavy and mine doesn't steal much pocket time from my Spydies.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Conan

Post by Conan »

Besides of my Spyderco collection I own three WE knives. All I can say is that WE makes outstanding knives.
Fit and finish is impeccable, great materials and smooth action.
I don't have experience with the knives you mentioned though, but they look great. They seem to have a nice size (not too big and not too small) and are pretty lightweight too. My choice would be the Deacon, since the blade is made of M390 steel. Besides of that, it doesn't have the choil like the Wisp. That choil is too small for your index finger and too big as sharpening choil. It only makes your cutting edge smaller. More WE knives have that choil and I speak from experience.
However, We has proven to be a reliable manufacturer , so I think you won't be disappointed.
Last edited by Conan on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I had an 809 practic- good knife at an even better price.
WE are doing great work
remnar

Post by remnar »

They are putting out some nice knives. I own one and I really think that you SHOULD get a green one. :D

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Conan wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 pm
Besides of my Spyderco collection I own three WE knives. All I can say is that WE makes outstanding knives.
Fit and finish is impeccable, great materials and smooth action.
I don't have experience with the knives you mentioned though, but they look great. They seem to have a nice size (not too big and not too small) and are pretty lightweight too. My choice would be the Deacon, since the blade is made of M390 steel. Besides of that, it doesn't have the choil like the Wisp. That choil is too small for your index finger and too big as sharpening choil. It only makes your cutting edge smaller. More WE knives have that choil and I speak from experience.
However, We has proven to be a reliable manufacturer , so I think you won't be disappointed.
I was thinking the same thing. For the money, I certainly wouldn't hard use either of these knives but they would be great for simple daily carry and add a bit of flashy eye appeal. So I'm a big fan of the size of these as well.

I agree the Deacon is a better choice for the steel, and being only about $10 more. But...I'm actually a big fan of a choil. I find myself using the choil on my Manix, PM2 and Para 3 models more often than not. I just naturally grab for it, which is a big reason I'm leaning towards the Wisp, and that blade thickness, or thinness I should say. Makes me think of my Chaparral but with a lot more cutting edge! I have kind of skinny fingers (only wear a size 8.5 ring) So I'm HOPING that choil would work for me.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's a great looking knife Remnar! These knives sure are lookers, can't take that away from them.

-Rick
Conan

Post by Conan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 am
I have kind of skinny fingers (only wear a size 8.5 ring) So I'm HOPING that choil would work for me.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.
I don't want to discourage you, but you really need girley fingers for that choil!