Good Bye Stretch!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Good Bye Stretch!

Post by Bloke »

i just bought my last Stretch.

I received a package from KC yesterday and was a little exited that my new Vtoku2 Stretch had finally arrived.

When I opened the box, even with the knife still in the bubble wrap bag something looked amiss, the minute I opened the knife I was momentarily confused ... a Stretch 2. :eek:

After the Military the old Stretch is my next favourite but I don’t even vaguely like this knife and certainly won’t carry it, so I’ll gift it I s’pose to someone who deserves a plug ugly knife. Ah, hahaha! You have to laugh because it has way different grind lines on either side too (something that doesn’t bother me personally in the slightest), so anyone I’d give it to would think I was gifting them a bodgie knife. Ah, hahaha! :)

A couple of pictures for comparison. :rolleyes:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bill1170

Re: Good Bye Stretch!

Post by Bill1170 »

I know it looks different from the old Stretch. Is it the optics or the ergonomics that turn you off?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Had I not just ordered one I’d buy it from you
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Blasfemi,, i dont own a stretch 1 but calling the 2 ugly is stepping across a line mr. :p
About the grind,, i think That can happen every once in a while to every Company and every model. , my Rex 45 military was lopsided above and beyond(only the last inch of the blade). I don't care to much either,, it is going to be sharpened a lot.
I'm sorry you didnt like the 2, I love it...
Makes me even more curious about the 1 though.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 pm
I know it looks different from the old Stretch. Is it the optics or the ergonomics that turn you off?
Hey Bill, I don’t like the ergos of the larger, deeper scales nor the shorter deeper blade.

The Stretch 1 it seems was a bit of an ugly duckling to most yet I really like everything about it. This new Stretch is bigger with less blade and from where I’m standing it’s just a bloody mess. :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:55 pm
Blasfemi,, i dont own a stretch 1 but calling the 2 ugly is stepping across a line mr. :p
About the grind,, i think That can happen every once in a while to every Company and every model. , my Rex 45 military was lopsided above and beyond(only the last inch of the blade). I don't care to much either,, it is going to be sharpened a lot.
I'm sorry you didnt like the 2, I love it...
Makes me even more curious about the 1 though.
Ah, hahaha! I can only call it the way I see it Mom. ;)

No, the bevel grind is better than the average Seki grinds I’ve received. It’s actually very good. The lamination lines are pretty ordinary and way uneven but that only adds character and doesn’t worry me at all. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:54 pm
Had I not just ordered one I’d buy it from you
Shame Dave because you’re welcome to it and I’d have been happy to take a hit on it. :)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Alex,

My friend is looking for one. Let me check if he’s interested. Shipping from Oz here should be cheaper than US here :p
Chris :spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:56 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Hey Bill, I don’t like the ergos of the larger, deeper scales nor the shorter deeper blade.

The Stretch 1 it seems was a bit of an ugly duckling to most yet I really like everything about it. This new Stretch is bigger with less blade and from where I’m standing it’s just a bloody mess. :eek:
Thank you, Bloke. I have yet to handle an example of the newer Stretch. Like you, I’m very fond of the older Stretch, and possess two of them in ZDP, one modified user and a virginal one inherited from my dad.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:20 pm
Alex,

My friend is looking for one. Let me check if he’s interested. Shipping from Oz here should be cheaper than US here :p
No worries Chris. ;)

I just spoke to Daveho and he's interested too for a friend but either ways let me know. :)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:31 pm
anagarika wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:20 pm
Alex,

No worries Chris. ;)

I just spoke to Daveho and he's interested too for a friend but either ways let me know. :)
Alas, my friend already ordered himself. :)
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:04 pm
Alas, my friend already ordered himself. :)
All good Chris. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I Will take it off your hands, Her Kommodant send it right here! Jahwhol ?!

In the meantime you can still get the first version at bentoboxshop.

Just remember I hear nothing! I know Nothing I see Nothing I was not even there!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:

The Stretch 1 is probably my favorite folder of all times and I like it ever so slightly over the Stretch 2 too (hence my thread //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=82369 ).
Consequently I currently own three Stretch 1 and no Stretch 2.

But I am surprised how strongly you dislike the Stretch 2... For me, it does no longer offer a lot of edge in a small overall package (it's longer when closed, less edge) and is a little less "unique", but the ergos for me have even improved a bit and the handle will fit more handsizes.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I should carry my Stretch (1) more often. It's a good knife, but does not carry very well for some reason in tip down configuration and in tip up I don't like the ergos in hand as much.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 pm
I should carry my Stretch (1) more often. It's a good knife, but does not carry very well for some reason in tip down configuration and in tip up I don't like the ergos in hand as much.
Never tried tip down carry (with any knive except the Millie), tip up the Stretch 1 carries very good.
You mean, when mounted for tip up, the clip bothers you when you hold the knife? Each hand is different really, I don't even really notice the for tip up mounted clip of my Stretch, even when I grip the handle really hard.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 pm
Bloke wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:

The Stretch 1 is probably my favorite folder of all times and I like it ever so slightly over the Stretch 2 too (hence my thread //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=82369 ).
Consequently I own three Stretch 1 and no Stretch 2.

But I am surprised how strongly you dislike the Stretch 2... For me, it does no longer offer a lot of edge in a small overall package (it's longer when closed, less edge) and is a little less "unique", but the ergos for me have even improved a bit and the handle will fit more handsizes.
I’m a little surprised myself ...

As per my opening post I really like my Stretch 1 even though I’m not a fan of back locks. As a matter of fact, my S1 even has a little tiny bit of vertical play if you look hard enough and I couldn’t care less just like uneven lamination lines. ;)

I’ve never handled any Spydercos before buying them but when my S1 arrived I liked it from the very start and have never understood why it wasn’t a much bigger seller.

I’m not too big on handle to blade length ratios but I do view a good ratio as a desirable quality in a well designed folder which the S1 certainly is. I’m sure there are many good reasons for the changes and it is what it is, but I don’t need more handle and less blade and find the concept rather comical.

Anyhow, one man’s meat is another man’s poison. There only pocket knives at the end of the day and you can’t like them. Ah, hahaha! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 pm
Bloke wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:

Consequently I own three Stretch 1 and no Stretch 2.

I’m a little surprised myself ...

As per my opening post I really like my Stretch 1 even though I’m not a fan of back locks. As a matter of fact, my S1 even has a little tiny bit of vertical play if you look hard enough and I couldn’t care less just like uneven lamination lines. ;)

I’ve never handled any Spydercos before buying them but when my S1 arrived I liked it from the very start and have never understood why it wasn’t a much bigger seller.

I’m not too big on handle to blade length ratios but I do view a good ratio as a desirable quality in a well designed folder which the S1 certainly is. I’m sure there are many good reasons for the changes and it is what it is, but I don’t need more handle and less blade and find the concept rather comical.

Anyhow, one man’s meat is another man’s poison. There only pocket knives at the end of the day and you can’t like them. Ah, hahaha! :)
Yes, I am also very surprised that the Stretch 1 did not sell even better than the Endura. Almost the same cutting surface, much shorter when closed, better ergos and carry.
Guess people disliked the looks and consequently did not even try it. Cause actually USING it makes you love that knife. Best do-it-all-folder imho.

One could argue that maybe the grip area is too short for people with XL and bigger hands, but the Stretch 1 offers at least the same amount if space there as the PM2.

I think: The Stretch 2 is very good, but for people who loved the Stretch 1 it could not be improved in the first place, cause it already is perfect... ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bloke wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:

Can't blame you, Bloke. I understand what caused Sal to feel it was necessary to "tweak" the Stretch design to allow it to fit larger hands and to make the 50/50 deeper and more secure. I even carry a customized Stretch 2 occasionally. But, to be honest, I still strongly prefer the older ones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 am
Bloke wrote:
Bill1170 wrote: I know it looks different from the old Stretch. Is it the optics or the ergonomics that turn you off?

Can't blame you, Bloke. I understand what caused Sal to feel it was necessary to "tweak" the Stretch design to allow it to fit larger hands and to make the 50/50 deeper and more secure. I even carry a customized Stretch 2 occasionally. But, to be honest, I still strongly prefer the older ones.
Right, Stretch 2 handle will fit more handsizes. But then, PM2 is a best seller; and the handle of the Stretch 1 still gives a little more room for the hand than the PM2; My hands are L to XL, handle of Stretch 1 is a good fit, handle of PM 2 still, but just 1 mm less space there and my fingers would feel cramped.
But to repeat myself: Both great knives; I personally like the Stretch 1 a bit more; and it probably could not be improved for its devotees, cause it is already perfect for them ;)