Spyderco genzow sheath problems

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steeljustice

Re: Spyderco genzow sheath problems

Post by steeljustice »

Question does Spyderco have a warranty covering this product? If the answer is yes then the next question will they handle getting it repaired or replaced?
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

Genzow sheaths are MADE IN SPAIN......lowest cost producer......cheapest materials......lowest quality control.......ALL TO SAVE A BUCK !!!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I imagine Spyderco warranty is like most, it covers material and workmanship defects, and sometimes a little more.
The only improvements I can think of is use heavier stitching, and design the sheath to make it at least less easy to leverage the edge into the welt.
Defective stitching is the only thing I can think of that would be a warranty issue, but separation of the welt seems to suggest the blade got forced in there.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:10 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 pm
It is usually only a matter of time before I try to use the axe only to realize the sheath/mask is still on and they don't usually survive.
I can see how this could happen under the above circumstances, but like SF Native said, there doesn't appear to be any external sheath damage.
I suppose it could happen without marking the sheath by hitting something soft like carpet?
It does sort of look like from that last picture the blade might have got between the layers of welt and wedged them apart.
I wasn't implying that this is what happened in this case. I was just saying why I do not put much value or have much concern over my axe sheaths. I tend to ruin them with time.

Anyway, if the welt is not glued then I am quite surprised.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Crux

Post by Crux »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 pm
After you get it repaired, consider coating the outer threads with super glue or epoxy. This makes them much more durable.
What he said. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

BadFish wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 am
I got the genzow hatchet for Christmas and I’ve used it extensively for deer hunting season clearing lanes for shooting.

I love this hatchet how light it carries on the belt and so forth. The sheath tho today when I looked at it I have an issue.

The stitching is already coming apart

What can I do ? For 175 bucks I’d expect a little better on a sheath. Any recommendations?
Hey, BadFish:
Welcome to our forum. Have you contacted our Warranty & Repair department yet? If not, please do. Please e-mail customerservice@spyderco.com and include the same pictures that you've posted, a copy of your receipt, and your shipping address. It would be ideal if you could send your sheath into Warranty & Repair as having the actual sheath helps us determine what caused the issue. You'll be in great hands with our crew.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Bullwinkle wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:53 am
Genzow sheaths are MADE IN SPAIN......lowest cost producer......cheapest materials......lowest quality control.......ALL TO SAVE A BUCK !!!
Hey, Bullwinkle:
The sheaths for the Genzow HatchetHawk are manufactured in Spain. That much of what you said is true. Our maker in Spain is a very well established maker with an excellent reputation. The material is leather and they definitely aren't the "lowest cost producer."

Do you have a Genzow HatchetHawk and have you had issues with your sheath? If so, please let us know your experience and as I mentioned to the OP please reach out to our Warranty & Repair department. Our crew will take great care of you should you have an issue.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd say, for the most part, Spanish leather sheaths (in knives and tools) are usually well made and durable, in my experience with 30+ Spanish blades, axes, shears and pruners :o

Hope you get it sorted out