Army ROTC Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Army ROTC Knife

Post by hambone56rx »

Forumites,

My boss' son just got accepted into the ROTC program at a local University and is awaiting hearing back on getting into the Naval Academy. I just saw Sal recommending the Salt 2 for a sailor (although I was thinking the Carribean or Native Salt), but if he goes into the Army, what knife would you recommend?

Would it be better to have something more "heavy duty" like a Shaman?

Or do you want to save as much weight as possible, so a Native either regular or LW?

I feel like the PM2 has too thin of a tip and doesn't in spite confidence for "hard tasks." I'm really leaning toward the Shaman, but I don't know how much weight matters to service members. Thoughts and recommendations?
SolidState

Re: Army ROTC Knife

Post by SolidState »

If it were me, I'd get him a military.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Weight matters. Every lb or kg has to be carried and soldiers today carry heaps.

In saying that, robustness of blade so that it can handle the tasks with breaking/bending.

Make sure it has a lanyard hole.

I’d go serrated as it will still cut when blunted as I doubt he will be able to carry a sharpener.

Good luck to him in whatever he gets into.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Perhaps a look at the Spyderco Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL may be in order... this model has a nice full-flat ground blade, robust design and build, and it has a beautifully contoured handle that fits the hand.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Another vote for the Manix. Not sure I'd recommend the S110v "blurple" model due to the potential difficulty in sharpening it in the field, but the S30V would make a great knife.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Thanks gentlemen! I definitely wouldn’t have thought about the Manix. I love mine, but thought it either wouldn’t be large enough or the tip would be too fragile. Good to know it’s getting multiple votes! And thanks for weighing in on the weight. I guess that’s why the Military is so light!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean...

It's better ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My time in I carried a few Spydercos, the Delica & the Remote Release being the 2 I mostly carried. The Remote Release stayed on the right strap of my LBV to grab fast in case I needed to cut something fast (ex: slingload gone wrong).

If I was a young soldier now I'd carry my Lil'Temp 3. I like my Manix LW in CTS-XHP, but I'd still take my Lil'Temp 3 over it. I prefer the Comp-lock over BBS-lock. The blade on the Lil'Temp 3 is stouter.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Another vote for the Caribbean.

It’s big enough and strong enough to handle “tactical” situations. 3.7 inch blade

compression lock

impervious to rust

same if not better edge retention than SV30 (so I hear... don’t want to make this a steel debate)

Choice of two blade shapes both PE or SE

4.2oz

Sal really hit it out of the park with this one. I own the leaf PE and it’s almost always in my pocket. The main reason I prefer to daily a Spyderco Salt is easy maintenance, just rinse them off. You won’t be disappointed.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm
You won’t be disappointed.
Great point! The look can be polarizing, but it's made to WORK!

Hamilton
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Aqua Salt is another one that fits most bills.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SolidState wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 pm
Aqua Salt is another one that fits most bills.
a fully SE aqua salt would be bomb proof and cut for a long time before it needed sharpening. they don't weigh much more than an average folsing spyderco either.

if you go with a folder consider one in DLC for rust resistance.
:unicorn
Ric

Post by Ric »

Maybe a Rescue?

VG10
Not expensive
Not so easy to cut yourself
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

hambone56rx wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:31 pm
Thanks gentlemen! I definitely wouldn’t have thought about the Manix. I love mine, but thought it either wouldn’t be large enough or the tip would be too fragile. Good to know it’s getting multiple votes! And thanks for weighing in on the weight. I guess that’s why the Military is so light!
i’ve heard from people in the service that there are some really strict rules about blade length on bases and in some workplaces. most of the suggestions in here could end up confiscated. i wouldn’t get anything longer than 3” just to be safe. i know places will only allow 2.5” though. maybe go with a native salt or a lil native if you want g10 and a comp lock.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:14 am
hambone56rx wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:31 pm
i’ve heard from people in the service that there are some really strict rules about blade length on bases and in some workplaces. most of the suggestions in here could end up confiscated. i wouldn’t get anything longer than 3” just to be safe. i know places will only allow 2.5” though. maybe go with a native salt or a lil native if you want g10 and a comp lock.
Yes you are so correct, I work with an ex Navy guy and he told me they confiscated his K-bar that was handed down to him.

Make sure you check the regulations on size before you buy.

If the Caribbean is too big my second pick for a folder is the Salt 2 in black.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:14 am

Thanks for the heads up! I honestly had no idea. I'll try and call the ROTC office and see if there are any regulations. That certainly changes things!
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am

BLUETYPEII,

Would you rather have a Salt 2 in H1 or a Native Salt in LC200N? I would think the LC200N would be better, so I've been leaning toward the Native Salt. And SE or PE? Is it good to have a completely rust proof knife even in the Army since you just never know?

Thanks for the input.

Hamilton
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

hambone56rx wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:15 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am

BLUETYPEII,

Would you rather have a Salt 2 in H1 or a Native Salt in LC200N? I would think the LC200N would be better, so I've been leaning toward the Native Salt. And SE or PE? Is it good to have a completely rust proof knife even in the Army since you just never know?

Thanks for the input.

Hamilton
Yes, absolutely.

You have enough gear/equipment/crap to clean and keep in good order without adding to it.
Just being able to wipe the blade and put it away would be great.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:54 am

Yes, absolutely.

You have enough gear/equipment/crap to clean and keep in good order without adding to it.
Just being able to wipe the blade and put it away would be great.
500Nitro,

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like you have been in the service, so THANK YOU! Do you have a specific model in mind you would recommend? Feedback on certain bases requiring sub 3” knife? And PE or SE?

Thank you!

Hamilton
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Firstly I was (and am) in Australia, secondly my unit had specific requirements - we used a lot of rope rapelling, climbing and boats / water ops (Canoes, Rigid inflatables) so a knife that ALWAYS CUT rope was recommended. Therefore I went serrated (as recommended to me).

Problem with SE is sharpening, not that they need sharpening often as they still cut well when not razor sharp)
but he will need a specific sharpener for it.

A PE can be sharpened on other sharpeners - which others in the unit are likely to have.

Let me look back over this thread as I don't know the models that well.

But from what I have glanced at in the last few days, firstly by the sounds of it you need to adhere to your
base and state laws - so as you said, sub 3".

I don't know G10 as a material but know FRN well and FRN stands up to everything.

Rust proof would be almost a certainty.

I'd go black coated blade IF you can.

It's now 1am so have to go to bed but I'll look at the models recommended and come back to you.