Two things that today cannot be done.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Two things that today cannot be done.

Post by Tucson Tom »

Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 am
steeljustice wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am
One: improve the Spyderco Pm2.
Two: Exceed the speed of light.
Except, then came the Para 3, which came and broke the speed of light.
Ah, yes -- Crux does like the Para 3.

I don't see the Para 3 as an "improvement" on the PM 2 -- it is another knife. The name is truly unfortunate because it leads to so many misunderstandings. You could call it a variation, and indeed many people adore it. I am not one of them, I prefer the PM2.

But the Para 3 is a nice knife. I have one in Cruwear -- that steel was enough to finally push me over the line to buying a Para 3.
And I am glad to have one, especially in Cruwear. All things have their time and place.

It is great that so many are nuts about the Para 3 -- good for them and good for Spyderco. For me though, owning the Para 3 just makes me appreciate the PM2 all the more.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

steeljustice wrote:
One: The Yojimbo 2 is better than the PM2 in every way- so consider it done. :D *dons flameproof underwear*

Two: Monarchy exceeds the speed of light.
When a king or queen dies the next in line to the throne becomes the new monarch at that precise moment, meaning monarchy exceeds the speed of light as it travels in zero time to infinite distance. ;)
(And thank you to the late and much missed Terry Pratchett for this idea)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Yojimbo loses a point because it's hard to remember how to spell it. Also, how can a Yojimbo 2 be better than a Para 3? It's mathematically impossible.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
anycal

Post by anycal »

1. Anything knocking the PM2 from my top spot. It has been tried number of times with various different modelsl and brands in this size.
2. Quantum entanglement > speed of light
Peter
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The big issue with quantum entanglement for practical applications is the transfer of information. Some claim it can be done, others say that while entanglement works, as it is experimentally-verified, it cannot be used to transmit and receive actual information. What I want is a quantum entanglement Spyderco replicator :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:14 am
The big issue with quantum entanglement for practical applications is the transfer of information. Some claim it can be done, others say that while entanglement works, as it is experimentally-verified, it cannot be used to transmit and receive actual information. What I want is a quantum entanglement Spyderco replicator :)
Due to the earths primitive level of development as evidenced by the profusion of nation states releasing such technology would be in direct violation of the prime directive captain.

We have already seen the devistating effects of replicator technology being used to create knives in other cultures on different planets. It is always the same. The inhabitants spend all their time attempting to create the Grail Knife to the exclusion of all else, even crop production and famine follows.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've had a PM2 for a number of years now, but for some reason I haven't warmed up to it like so many other people have. I like both the Para 3 and the Military much better than the PM2.

Jim
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

In the spirit of the recent Manix2 Backlock, I was really hoping for a back lock linerless PM2, but with thinner stock instead of thicker like the Manix2 BL was. That seems like the one to rule them all for me.

Looking forward to an FRN LW PM2 with a wire clip though.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

steeljustice wrote:
1) Gayle Bradley 1

2) Would throwing a torch Exceed the speed of light :confused:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:08 pm
In the spirit of the recent Manix2 Backlock, I was really hoping for a back lock linerless PM2, but with thinner stock instead of thicker like the Manix2 BL was. That seems like the one to rule them all for me.
Back lock plus thinner stock: Such a version I'd like to see for almost any Spyderco-model ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

steeljustice wrote:
One : add lightness
Two: it’s all relative :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

1. As much as I love the PM2 as-is, I'd love to see some contoured scales and color-anodize barrel spacers. I realize this will probably never happen from the factory,at least the color spacers, but would be pretty cool.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

WIth my small hands, the PM2's lack of contouring is quite uncomfortable.

The standoff is free-spinning and the lanyard tube is press-fit, making disaassembly a pain.

I've sold off my user PM2 and the others just sit in a box, never-used, waiting to be sold as well.
Crux

Post by Crux »

buccilli15 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:27 am
1. As much as I love the PM2 as-is, I'd love to see some contoured scales and color-anodize barrel spacers. I realize this will probably never happen from the factory,at least the color spacers, but would be pretty cool.
Lots of that on eBay.
SpyderEdgeForever

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:41 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Due to the earths primitive level of development as evidenced by the profusion of nation states releasing such technology would be in direct violation of the prime directive captain.

We have already seen the devistating effects of replicator technology being used to create knives in other cultures on different planets. It is always the same. The inhabitants spend all their time attempting to create the Grail Knife to the exclusion of all else, even crop production and famine follows.
I am utterly shocked and gladdened by this post you released, because that is precisely and exactly the reason. Wow. Thank you.

In the mean time we have Lc200N, H1, and Cru-Wear.
SpyderEdgeForever

kvdo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:49 am
WIth my small hands, the PM2's lack of contouring is quite uncomfortable.

The standoff is free-spinning and the lanyard tube is press-fit, making disaassembly a pain.

I've sold off my user PM2 and the others just sit in a box, never-used, waiting to be sold as well.
Would you be interested in the Military Tanto that was shown in the 2019 Shot Show video?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:50 pm
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:41 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

I am utterly shocked and gladdened by this post you released, because that is precisely and exactly the reason. Wow. Thank you.

In the mean time we have Lc200N, H1, and Cru-Wear.
Lol all 3 excellent steels and lets add CTS-XHP I am gaining a fine appreciation for it in a very short period of time with the Hundred Pacer.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My favorite PM2 would be much larger (4.5 inch blade), larger hardware and pivot construction, thicker liners, and rounded (full titanium) scales similar to the Shaman.

I'll take one in REX 121 and one in Vanadis 4e.

Sounds like improvement is in the eye of the beholder. :D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:51 pm
kvdo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:49 am
Would you be interested in the Military Tanto that was shown in the 2019 Shot Show video?
If you mean the PM2 Tanto, only if they contoured the scales.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Don't get me more tempted.