S30V Only Cool if it's a Benchmade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

S30V Only Cool if it's a Benchmade?

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hey guy's just a quick general observation I noticed here on the forums / youtube videos regarding Spyderco's use of
g10 and s30v. Most comments go something like "s30v again, man wish they would use a different steel type" ect.
Which is fine, some knife designs would probably be better with certain steels but my personal experience has been very positive.
I feel like s30v is a very capable and user friendly steel making it an ideal candidate for most knife models.

So getting to the point, I noticed the Benchmade 940-1 is adored by many users and enthusiasts, it is practically made with the same components as a PM2 but it sports an Axis lock instead of compression and costs roughly 30ish bucks more. But yet... not one "side comment" is made about s30v and g10 (like the Shaman at the same price). Even the Griptilian is getting an s30v make over for 2019.

My question is s30v really "boring", or does Spyderco offer us so many choices that we are getting spoiled?
ZrowsN1s

Re: S30V Only Cool if it's a Benchmade?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spoiled
Can't wait to check out that bd1n though :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

Spoiled.
Spyderco is about the only company manufacturing great designs in a variety of steels (e. g. PM2).

A couple of years ago you would have to search long for a powder steel blade. Now this premium materials are accessible in a lot of models and price ranges.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Yeah, definitely spoiled. And I'm guilty of this. S30V would be just fine for me on a daily basis but for the sole reason that Spyderco offers so many steel variations, I've become this steel snob that looks down on S30V. I'm not complaining but it's a thing.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Spoilt

But that’s what keeps my wallet slim ( which in turn saves my lower back from sitting on that cash laden wallet that use to throw it out )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

People who actually use their knives know S30V is a great steel. People who collect knives want to see diffferent designations engraved on them.

There are uses where other steels matter. But for the large mass of general EDC focused knives S30V is great.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I find VG-10 to be great.
- best wishes, Jazz.
RLR

Post by RLR »

It’s marketing. Read survival stories, hard use stories, talk to your grandparents... you won’t hear a steel complaint in the narrative. Sure super steels are “cool” but in the end, a knife is a knife.

If you were about to fall out of a plane or something, and had access to every version of knife X, with the least “exotic” steel closest at hand and the most “exotic,” newest super steel say a few yards away, what would you pick? Would it make a difference once you hit the ground and had to survive?

Just a different take.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The popularity and use of 20cv in production knives seems to be increasing, and the price of the steel does not seem to be a huge factor. Even Spyderco with the recent DLT Manix2 for $129 is an example... Do you ever think S30v could be replaced with 20cv, just like S30v replaced the steels before it?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Isn't ZT switching to 20cv on their knives?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 am
All new ZT models should have 20CV.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Duplicate
Last edited by GarageBoy on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's like how car geeks complain that a new car is only 400hp - spoiled
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 am
For the most part, regular ZT production knives that were in M390 went to 204p then now 20cv, probably due to cost and/or availability. Similarly, the Elmax knives were moved to S35vn. ZT already had quite a few regular production knives in S35vn, but my understanding is that they will not be using Elmax going foward, which is sad. I guess to my original question, I'm not certain why not just go from Elmax to 20cv, unless the point is to keep 20cv as the "premium" option, rather than let it become the norm like S30v did.

Back to the OP, we are totally spoiled by Spyderco. S30 is a great steel, but variety is the spice of life and Spyderco provides the spice better than anyone else IMO. Benchmade's regular steel portfolio is so reduced in comparison, maybe people are just happy to see S30v rather than 154CM.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Absolutely spoiled with all the options. I'm willing to bet, on typical daily use...S30V and G10 are more than enough for 97 out 100 people here, myself included. The standard model PM2 or Para 3 would serve everyone just fine. But...the variety of colors and desire to have as many different steel options is what drives most of us.

It's made me a bit of a steel snob. Just last night a Rike Knife caught my attention. Looked into it, saw it was $135..but had 154cm steel and decided that was too much for a knife with that steel. Is it more than capable of handling my daily tasks? Absolutely! But Spyderco has made me realize I can get better for the same price, or just a little more.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 am
It's like how car geeks complain that a new car is only 400hp
Spot on! Incredible these days you can buy a V6 with 300+hp. 10-15 years ago you'd have to have the biggest V8 out there to achieve that kind of power unless you have some kind of forced induction.

As I was into track racing with my Mitsubishi Evo for a few years, all the sudden these guys are showing up with their bone stock V6 Camaros with a bit of suspension, brake and tire upgrades and making solid times. Too make sure I'd stay ahead I went and got a turbo upgrade. Before I knew it, guys are showing up with stock V8's and putting out around 500hp on some models. That's when I realized I was playing a dangerous game with my wallet and decided it was time to get out...or buy a new car. I took pride in all the work I did, time and money spent and kept my 2.0 liter, turbo charged, awd car competitive. But it was time to get out.

The car market is certainly spoiled as we are with all these steels. Worst thing is, there's so many people out there with these 400-600hp cars...because they have the money, but most dont need that power and even more scary...they dont know how to handle it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:00 am
People who actually use their knives know S30V is a great steel. People who collect knives want to see diffferent designations engraved on them.

There are uses where other steels matter. But for the large mass of general EDC focused knives S30V is great.
That’s sort of ridiculous to say. I use my knives all of the time, but dislike S30V. It’s annoying to sharpen and it’s edge retention with Spyderco’s heat treat isn’t worth dealing with the sharpening hassle. It’s also not overly tough or corrosion resistant. I would take a properly heat treated 14C28N over S30V.

Benchmade, for whatever reason, seems to get far better edge retention out of S30V. I’m not sure how chippy it is for them.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 am
I find VG-10 to be great.
Ditto me on on VG-10!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'm a big fan of the s30v on my buck vantage pro (not really the knife itself), but that's about it. I wasn't surprised at all to see recent tests showing it outperforming other brands. Great sharpenability and edge retention. I don't really think there's anything special about Benchmade's s30v. Benchmade is overpriced as heck.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

For what I use my knives for (and I have/use literally dozens) blade steel doesn't even enter the picture. So s30v is perfectly suited for my particular needs, but then again so does 420HC.

Oh and BTW, you are referring to the 940-2 as the -1 is CF and s90v.