Spyderco Sapphire Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Sapphire Knives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Synthetic sapphire has been around since 1902. It is 9 or greater on the Mohs Scale of hardness and is a beautiful material. It is Al203 and is part of the same family as ruby, the corundum.

We need knives made of it, specifically, Spyderco knives. We need shatter proof, elastic sapphire fiber composite knife blades.

We can use diamond and boron nitride Sharp Maker rods to sharpen the edges. They would never rust and would be lightweight. Couple them with FRN handles and you have a winning combination. A compromise would be to molecularly bond sapphire and steel.

What doth sal and others here think?

As a thought experiment, do this: I want you all to create a mental picture of your favorite Spyderco knife, with the same FRN or G10 handle, but, a blade made of robust, shatter proof sapphire. Military, Paramilitary, Endura, Delica, whatever. Picture that. And remember, it does not have to be blue. It can be but it can also have other colors and patterns.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Spyderco Sapphire Knives

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Still waiting for my Spyderco Lightsaber but I guess this will do until Sal can figure out how to put a Spydie hole in the blade.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Fracture resistance, anyone?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Cool. Make one and tell us how it goes.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm
What doth sal and others here think?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Who Farted?
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I mean... they make watch faces out of sapphire so why not an entire knife? /s
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 pm
I mean... they make ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 pm
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 pm
I mean... they make ...
:D Dang it feels good to be a hamster

Edit: Autocorrect but I'm leaving it
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Tims

Post by Tims »

+1 for one of those mythical Spyderco scalpel sapphire cell splitters.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 pm
Already a reality

https://www.wpiinc.com/var-504077-sapphire-blade

Yep, both sapphire and diamond blades are used regularly for sectioning and as micro scalpels for scientific and medical purposes.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

awa54 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:38 pm
standy99 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 pm
Already a reality

https://www.wpiinc.com/var-504077-sapphire-blade

Yep, both sapphire and diamond blades are used regularly for sectioning and as micro scalpels for scientific and medical purposes.
Thank you for this. And as you and I have seen, various knife-makers have made practical knife blades using ceramics, so it is not that much of a leap to consider manufactured synthetic sapphire sporting knives.

Infact, look at this Russian-made one from 2007. Bloke, the giffy you posted was very appropriate, LOL

http://englishrussia.com/2007/01/18/sapphire-knife/

" Their blades are being made from artificial sapphire, the same material that is being used to make non-scratchable watches by leading Swiss brands. Handles are made of the bone."

Look at the cross-section, the thickness of that little cutting monster.

One skeptical commenter claimed it looks more like plexiglass but I don't know.

Anyhow, I think true shatter resistant composite sapphire blades would be great.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Australian Aboriginal cutting tool
4D6C51FB-B725-42C2-9E4D-8E4F821FF844.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Don't you think that as a steel knife manufacturer you'd need all new machinery to start producing non-steel blades, whichever non-steel material that would be? Not to mention that you'd need to learn how to do it etc. Kinda sounds REALLY costly to me to add another totally different chemistry, physics, and mechanics to your production...

Stick to your world leading expertise Spyderco, I'd say...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm
elastic sapphire fiber composite knife blades.
Replace sapphire with carbide, and the "composite" keeping it in place with steel. Tadaaaa, we get normal high carbide steels.
Back to reality, sapphire isn't harder than carbides, and its even more brittle. Also, due to its chemical composition and fabrication process, it cannot be added into a steel matrix (and why would anyone want to do that since its nothing special property-wise). Also, a full sapphire knife would have the killer flaw of a ceramic knife, that is if it doesn't snap in two during normal chores: the apex will crumble and will never be sharper than steel on the long run.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

We go around these loops plenty of times it seems- but for the sake of reiteration:

-Sapphire might be super-hard and real purty on the eyes. But it's prone to chipping even on the very obtuse edges of set gems in jewellery.
And yes- we make watch faces out of sapphire glass- they are scratch resistant- not scratch proof and can still be shattered.

Consider: if Sapphire glass was utterly tough and hard then there wouldn't be an iPhone with a broken or scratched screen.....or a screen protector for the same. ;)

-Theorising away the negative properties of a material while retaining the positive properties of a material is fun while stuck in traffic.
But that's about it.
The periodic table gives with one hand and takes away with another- the materials tool box works like a regular tool box.
While some tools and materials can be used broadly, every tool and material has weaknesses that prevent them being entirely interchangeable

There are many glassy-ceramic and industrial-tough ceramic blades out there- from knapped flint first made in the Paleolithic to Kyocera's alumina blades last week.
They all suffer the same issues. Period.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I'm waiting for the spyderco obsidian blade. Real Old School.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Clovis point would be lovely. That’s going back in time.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderEdgeForever

demoncase wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:09 pm
We go around these loops plenty of times it seems- but for the sake of reiteration:

-Sapphire might be super-hard and real purty on the eyes. But it's prone to chipping even on the very obtuse edges of set gems in jewellery.
And yes- we make watch faces out of sapphire glass- they are scratch resistant- not scratch proof and can still be shattered.

Consider: if Sapphire glass was utterly tough and hard then there wouldn't be an iPhone with a broken or scratched screen.....or a screen protector for the same. ;)

-Theorising away the negative properties of a material while retaining the positive properties of a material is fun while stuck in traffic.
But that's about it.
The periodic table gives with one hand and takes away with another- the materials tool box works like a regular tool box.
While some tools and materials can be used broadly, every tool and material has weaknesses that prevent them being entirely interchangeable

There are many glassy-ceramic and industrial-tough ceramic blades out there- from knapped flint first made in the Paleolithic to Kyocera's alumina blades last week.
They all suffer the same issues. Period.

Basically what we need is something that combines the hardness and strength and toughness of carbide steel type materials, the rust proofness of H1, and the elasticity of rubber.